Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

Re: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

Going to be interesting to see if the Southern League gets any new PDC's with a team or two get bumped over from the Texas League and Eastern League.

Eastern League (AA)
    Akron Aeros - Cleveland (signed through 2012)
    Altoona Curve - Pittsburgh (signed through 2014)
    Binghamton Mets - New York (NL) (signed through 2012)
    Bowie Baysox - Baltimore (signed through 2014)
    Erie SeaWolves - Detroit (signed through 2012)
    Harrisburg Senators - Washington (signed through 2012)
    New Britain Rock Cats - Minnesota (signed through 2012)
    New Hampshire Fisher Cats - Toronto (signed through 2012)
    Portland Sea Dogs - Boston (signed through 2014)
    Reading Phillies - Philadelphia (signed through 2014; owned by Philadelphia)
    Richmond Flying Squirrels - San Francisco (signed through 2012)
    Trenton Thunder - New York (AL) (signed through 2014)

Southern League (AA)
    Birmingham Barons - Chicago (AL) (signed through 2014)
    Chattanooga Lookouts - Los Angeles (signed through 2014)
    Huntsville Stars - Milwaukee (signed through 2012)
    Jackson Generals - Seattle (signed through 2012)
    Jacksonville Suns - Miami (signed through 2012)
    Mississippi Braves - Atlanta (owned by Atlanta)
    Mobile BayBears - Arizona (signed through 2012)
    Montgomery Biscuits - Tampa Bay (signed through 2014)
    Pensacola Blue Wahoos - Cincinnati (signed through 2012)
    Tennessee Smokies - Chicago (NL) (signed through 2014)

Texas League (AA)
    Arkansas Travelers - Anaheim (signed through 2012)
    Corpus Christi Hooks - Houston (signed through 2016)
    Frisco RoughRiders - Texas (signed through 2014; owned by Texas)
    Midland RockHounds - Oakland (signed through 2012)
    Northwest Arkansas Naturals - Kansas City (signed through 2012)
    San Antonio Missions - San Diego (signed through 2012)
    Springfield Cardinals - St. Louis (owned by St. Louis)
    Tulsa Drillers - Colorado (signed through 2014)

Am all for the Reds renewing with Pensacola. I just want the promise of a exhibition game.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...CLES/120219729

Baseball negotiations to cost more than $100,000

The council on Tuesday will consider spending $123,500 for an outside firm to help with the negotiating process involving the Braves and Mandalay Baseball through June. The city is in exclusive talks with both companies about the possibility of the city building a stadium in exchange for the Braves bringing a minor league team here and leasing the facility for 20 years.

Mayor Bill Saffo said given the quick turnaround – the Braves want to be open for the 2014 season – the city needs outside help pulling together where the stadium would be located, how it would be funded and any other details that go into constructing a potentially $35 million to $40 million, 6,000-seat stadium.

After I graduate from UNCW in May, that's just great.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    After I graduate from UNCW in May, that's just great.
    I'm banned from UNCW for something I did while at UNCA. When I'm allowed to post in the miscellaneous forums again (it could happen?), I'll have to tell the story.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...ail_newsletter

Council approves feasibility study for ballpark

The Wilmington City Council on Tuesday unanimously approved spending up to $123,500 to study the feasibility of building a baseball stadium that could bring an Atlanta Braves minor league team to the Port City.

The money will be used to hire an outside firm to help with the negotiating process involving the Braves and Mandalay Baseball through June. The city is in exclusive talks with both companies about the possibility of the city building a stadium in exchange for the Braves bringing a minor league team here and leasing the facility for 20 years.

Field of dreams a funding nightmare

Courtesy image

By Shelby Sebens & Shannan Bowen

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 6:06 p.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 6:06 p.m.
    With the warm sun beating on their ball caps, young men swung aluminum bats, sending yellow softballs into the blue sky just feet from the Cape Fear River in downtown Wilmington.

The pickup softball game, organized last weekend to support a proposed baseball stadium that could be built in that very spot, attracted families with small children who sat in folding chairs and others who scarfed grilled hot dogs.

Baseball enthusiasts and most city officials want that scene to evolve into a more concrete one– a stadium seating 6,000 fans who cheer on players for an Atlanta Braves minor league team
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 02-26-2012 at 11:59 AM.

The article shows a great picture of the proposed stadium.

Sweet deal puts Lynchburg owners at ease
    By Dan Spears
    Dan.Spears@StarNewsOnline.com

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 6:16 p.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, February 25, 2012 at 6:16 p.m.
    For more than 30 years, Paul Sunwall has put his heart – and his wallet – into minor league baseball in Lynchburg, Va.

As a part owner of the Lynchburg Hillcats, and the team’s general manager, he’s seen plenty of people come into town asking about buying his team – and usually wanting to leave town with it.

He and the Lynchburg Baseball Corp. had always said no, until the Atlanta Braves and Mandalay Baseball Properties made their pitch late in 2011.

If Wilmington decides in the next five months that it will build a new stadium, Sunwall and his fellow owners will complete paperwork to sell the team to the Braves, which will pack up and head for the Port City as soon as the 2014 season.

I hate when they put the parking behind centerfield.

http://www.wect.com/story/17398329/b...-in-wilmington

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Another heavy hitter could be getting into the game to bring baseball to Wilmington.

Wilmington City Council will vote next week on a resolution to award a contract to the design firm of baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken. Ripken's firm would be in charge of developing the plan to build a stadium and bring a team to the city. The deal would cost taxpayers $55,150, according to information on the city council agenda.

The agenda lists an item for the April 17th meeting stating, "Resolution Awarding Contract for Baseball Project Management Services to Ripken Design of Baltimore, Maryland and Authorizing the City Manager to Execute Said Contract on the Behalf of the City of Wilmington." Ripken, a former Baltimore Orioles shortstop, is the president of the firm.

Wednesday, Mandalay Baseball and the Atlanta Braves announced they are developing a privately financed plan that would become a public-private partnership to bring a stadium and Braves single A team to Wilmington. Officials would not disclose the extent of taxpayer involvement in this plan, saying they would present it to council within thirty days.

Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Lot of stuff rumors and potential stuff today:

Eerie may be going to Montreal

The Detroit Tigers have extended their PDC with Erie through 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by muddie View Post
    The Detroit Tigers have extended their PDC with Erie through 2014.
    that changes everything. Only 12 AA PDCS to be determined. I would love to get rid of the White Sox and Marlins in the Southern League.

http://www.wect.com/story/17459908/c...uncil-not-sold

If you read this article above, no shock the Braves are not happy. They like to control everything to the price of hats in a gift store to how high the walls are in their stadiums. Mandalay is very agrressive with taking chances on markets that are risky and a had interest in getting a AA team in Biloxi, MS which is a Braves terrority. Ripken Baseball has a very cookie cutter approach to Minor League Baseball so the thought of all three of these working together would be interesting.

The Marlins are the AA Jacksonville Suns parent team. I think they really like the idea of having a Florida team. So I think there is very little likelihood of the Marlins leaving the Southern League at all, and only a minor chance they leave Jax before 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    The Marlins are the AA Jacksonville Suns parent team. I think they really like the idea of having a Florida team. So I think there is very little likelihood of the Marlins leaving the Southern League at all, and only a minor chance they leave Jax before 2014.
    Yea, I doubt Marlins do change but I like seeing new teams ever 4 to 8 years in a league. I would even take a change like this:

Birmingham- Brewers
    Huntsville- Seattle
    Jackson- Oakland

I really enjoyed the years that Oakland was in the SL. They keep their prospects on the East Coast so they could be called if needed on road-trips and sent the SL some good players.

and more on the Lynchburg situation:

http://www.wwaytv3.com/2012/04/17/ci...e-wrong-choice

http://www.wect.com/story/17518686/c...agement-agency

Baseball mgmt. agency has 2 months to present plans to council

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Tuesday night was the deadline for Wilmington City Council to decide on a management agency to bring a baseball team to the area, and at their meeting, council members chose National Sports Services rather than Ripken Design.

Several council members expressed concerns as to why top choice Ripken Design would not be the best company. There were six agencies on council's list, but Ripken was originally at the top. Councilman Kevin O' Grady said choosing the Baltimore-based firm caused a severe reaction from Mandalay Baseball and the Braves.

Now, National Sports Services has 60 days to work out a plan and present it to city council.

Turn Off Ads?