Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: up and coming singer song writers

up and coming singer song writers

I'm a huge fan of singer song writer stuff and my latest find I like is a british girl named Laura Marling. If anyone knows of any up and comers that fall into that category let me know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: up and coming singer song writers

Sharon Van Etten. Her first two albums were very stripped-down, just guitar, drums, light bass, and her amazing voice. Sharon Van Etten - One Day (Live on KEXP) - YouTube

Her third album was produced by The National and is a lot more elaborate, but her distinctive voice is still the centerpiece.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

duplicate
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 02-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Truckstop Honeymoon is great.

Truckstop Honeymoon - "Bad Attitude" - YouTube

Tim Grimm is from the Columbus, In area and is a farmer and part time actor. Had a part in Hunt for Red October. Is a storyteller.

Tim Grimm - Better Days - YouTube

Cheryl Wheeler

Cheryl Wheeler - Dubya Dubya - YouTube

Townes Van Sant

Townes Van Zandt - Cocaine Blues - YouTube

Ramblin Jack Elliott (this is who Todd Snider wants to be, I think sometimes)

RAMBLIN JACK ELLIOT. 912 Greens - YouTube

Todd Snider

Todd Snider - Plastic Girl - YouTube
    Last edited by 919191; 02-09-2012 at 02:59 AM.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

They call me "chef"

I'll echo Sharon Van Etten and add Jessica Lea Mayfield.

Thanks, I'll definately look them up and Mayfield is one i've been recomened before, but everyone should take a look at a band called Houndmouth, and if you live in the louisville area go listen to them at unlce slaton's on the 24th

This is Grace Askew. She is a 24 year-old out of Memphis and leads her band the Black Market Goods. My wife and I saw her in Eureka Springs and just Tuesday night in Conway, Arkansas. See sings and writes mostly the blues and does both very well. Btw, she is also beautiful.

Here she is at Stickyz in Little Rock. Unfortunately, we missed this show.

Grace Askew plays "Tennessee Got the Best of Me" at Stickyz - YouTube

Here is another clip. I'm not sure where this one was filmed.

Grace Askew and The Black Market Goods - I Remember - YouTube
    Last edited by Spitball; 02-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Jason Myles Goss. Check him out. Very talented and a super nice guy. He actually let me use one of his songs "Twilight Serenade" for a short film that I shot a couple of years ago.

http://youtu.be/cGx1vawtQ2A
    Last edited by BuckWild03; 02-09-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: bad link

Grace Askew (see my earlier post) will be in the tri-state area next month. I highly recommend checking her and her band out.

On March 1, she will she will be performing at the Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis at 8:00.

On March 2, she will be in Frankfort, Kentucky, at The Dragon Pub at 8:00.

She will be playing in Memphis February 24, at the Otherlands Coffee Bar if anyone lives in that area.

If you are in those areas, I hope you go see and hear her.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Grace Askew (see my earlier post) will be in the tri-state area next month. I highly recommend checking her and her band out.

On March 1, she will she will be performing at the Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis at 8:00.

On March 2, she will be in Frankfort, Kentucky, at The Dragon Pub at 8:00.

She will be playing in Memphis February 24, at the Otherlands Coffee Bar if anyone lives in that area.

If you are in those areas, I hope you go see and hear her.
    Heck, I'd like to go March 1 just for the Sun King beer
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Heck, I'd like to go March 1 just for the Sun King beer
    Hahaha! Definitely go for the beer if you are in the area, but go to see Grace, also. She is has a great show. She is a talented entertainer. She is also very sweet and sexy...and not afraid to throw back a few herself. She's a super cool performer.

Listened to Grace Skew last night and loved it, the band i mentioned earlier houndmouth is made up of Katie Toupin and Matt Myers who put out an album under that name and did a project called St. James Hotel look them up on youtube. I can't get on it during school otherwise i would post links.

Here are a couple that I like. Sort of more country influenced I would say, but overall damn good music.

Austin Lucas has some Ohio ties. His father Bob Lucas lives in Logan County in Zanesfield (near Bellefontaine) and currently runs Mad River Theater works. His dad is also a blue grass musician in his own right. I saw Austin over thanks giving last year in Zanesfield playing along with his sister who I new in high school on banjo. Super nice guy. Dude has a great voice and writes some great songs. Here is a song that is off of his ablum Collection called "Go West". I believe Austin lives in Bloomington, IN.

http://youtu.be/pNxzaWJVULw

http://youtu.be/0p92GDrZfk4

Dylan LeBlanc is another that you might like. From Muscle Shoals, Alabama. I saw Dylan open for the Drive By Truckers last spring. He and his band were great live and his album Paupers Field is really enjoyable. This guy also has a great voice and writes some really beautiful songs. His ablum is a little bit more low key than he was live...dude rocked it out live which you can kind of see at the end of the second video.

http://youtu.be/dF5rEA-ccu4

http://youtu.be/pNxzaWJVULw
    Last edited by jwdoc77; 02-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.

John Craigie singing The Chuck Norris Song

John Craigie's Chuck Norris Song - YouTube
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?