Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Farm Rankings

ESPN Farm Rankings

ESPN Insider ranks the Reds farm system as 19th, saying it would have been top 10 before the Latos trade. The other comment is:

"Outside of Devin Mesoraco, every guy with high ceiling in this system played in low Class A or below in 2011, and they're all quite high risk to go with the high reward."

Cards are 4th, Pirates 8th, Cubs 20th and Brewers 23rd.

With the picks they have this year, the Reds have the ability to climb that list fast again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN Farm Rankings

That doesn't surprise me. With most of the Reds under contract for a few more years, they will be alright.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

I'm not a man of many words. Read my posts, and you'll see what I mean.

Some people are Optimists (They see the glass 1/2 full).
    Others are Pessimists (They see the glass 1/2 empty).
    Me, I'm a Realist. 1/2 empty IS 1/2 full.

The Reds have a lot of players in low and high A ball who could really bolster the farm system rankings for 2013 if they start showing their potential. Fingers crossed that some players like Corcino, Stephenson, Hamilton, Rodriguez, and Duran have big seasons. That might result in the Reds being ranked around 8-11 next season.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Seems fair.

Outside of Mesoraco and Cozart there aren't many MLB-ready prospects left in the system. That said with all of the talent that was in Dayton last season and three top fifty picks in upcoming draft I'd expect their rank to be higher this time next season.

That said I'll take a legitimate playoff contender over a stocked farm system any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    Seems fair.

Outside of Mesoraco and Cozart there aren't many MLB-ready prospects left in the system. That said with all of the talent that was in Dayton last season and three top fifty picks in upcoming draft I'd expect their rank to be higher this time next season.

That said I'll take a legitimate playoff contender over a stocked farm system any day of the week.
    Exactly, the current roster is comprised in a way, that they won't require prospects to fill many roster spots for 2-3 seasons. They just don't have much trade bait right now if a deadline acquisition becomes an issue.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

The Reds still have one of the best groups of players 25 & younger in the game including Bruce, Mesoraco, Latos, Cueto, and Leake. All of those guys are under team control for at least four more seasons. Votto is still the best player on the team, but if he does choose to leave in two years, the core will still be strong for a while.

With all that said, I hope that the Reds can use those 4 high draft picks this year to re-stock the system and begin building the next wave of young prospects to hit Cincinnati. This year will be pivotal for the farm system.

I don't see how the cards are so high up on this list, you never really hear about any prospects they have so i just don't see how they can be that high.

I know nothing about it, but It could be because they are the Cards and every lump of doodoo they get their hands on turns out to be a lump of gold in a doodoo shape that they just needed to wash. That club just seems to be so damn lucky to me at least.

Alot of our guys in AA and A were there because our AAA team was loaded. Now that our AAA team is bare they will reload with those players. We needed to clean out the closet IMO. It does not matter what level our players are at, it only matters how good they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    I know nothing about it, but It could be because they are the Cards and every lump of doodoo they get their hands on turns out to be a lump of gold in a doodoo shape that they just needed to wash. That club just seems to be so damn lucky to me at least.
    that is true, I've never seen a team have so much success with a bunch of nobodies with albert, holliday and berkman

I don't know the Cards farm system, but having Shelby Miller and Matt Adams in it really drives their ranking up.

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    I don't see how the cards are so high up on this list, you never really hear about any prospects they have so i just don't see how they can be that high.
    They've done a much better job at drafting and player development in recent years, which is why they're so high on the list.

The Cards have six players on Keith Law's top 100 prospects list, which is linked below, including two fairly advanced / high ceiling starters (Miller and Martinez) in the top 25.

For what it's worth the Reds were fairly well represented with Mesoraco (#8), Corcino (#54) and Hamilton (#64) even after trading away Grandal (#65) and Alonso (#69). Add this to the number of home grown players on the MLB roster and it's hard not to be impressed by the job the Reds scouting and player development staff has done over the past few years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...ce-harper-more

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    They've done a much better job at drafting and player development in recent years, which is why they're so high on the list.

The Cards have six players on Keith Law's top 100 prospects list, which is linked below, including two fairly advanced / high ceiling starters (Miller and Martinez) in the top 25.

For what it's worth the Reds were fairly well represented with Mesoraco (#8), Corcino (#54) and Hamilton (#64) even after trading away Grandal (#65) and Alonso (#69). Add this to the number of home grown players on the MLB roster and it's hard not to be impressed by the job the Reds scouting and player development staff has done over the past few years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...ce-harper-more
    ok, thanks for explaining that one

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I don't know the Cards farm system, but having Shelby Miller and Matt Adams in it really drives their ranking up.
    By all accounts I've seen, Miller will be starting in AA this season but he won't be there long. Per the Lindy's preseason mag, he's got a good chance of a late season call up to the majors.

Matt Adams can flat out rake. Saw him play here in the QC two seasons ago and he utterly crushes the ball and he hits for a high average for a power guy. He'll probably be in AAA this season and if he keeps hitting, he'll be the starting 1st baseman in 2013. He's not a gold glover but he's a pretty decent 1st baseman.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

The Cards have two really good almost-MLB-Ready pitching prospects that could come up this year or next. Not good news for us knowing that Carp is getting old and Wainright could fall off after TJ.

The Reds will stock back up. That Latos trade is all that tore us down, but a lot of those guys had no where to go in our organization.

Turn Off Ads?