Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Orioles scouts banned in Korea after signing

Orioles scouts banned in Korea after signing

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...90096/34771062

According to Korea's Yonhap News Agency, the Korean Baseball Association announced Thursday that it will ban Orioles scouts from attending games, after the team signed 17-year-old pitcher Kim Seong-min for a reported $550,000. Meanwhile, Major League Baseball is looking into the signing, after a request from the Korean Baseball Organization, which runs professional baseball in that country.

The KBA objected to the signing, because Kim was not yet in his final year of high school. The association also said that any other teams signing players that young would also be banned from scouting in the country.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Orioles scouts banned in Korea after signing

Once again, lets have a World wide draft.
    Go Gators!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I hope they don't decide to nuke us over this.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I hope they don't decide to nuke us over this.
    I think that would depend upon the quality of the prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Once again, lets have a World wide draft.
    They want to. It is far too difficult to implement at this point in time though.

It should not be too hard for MLB to agree NOT to sign kids in nations like Korea before they graduate HS, though. South Korea is not the Caribbean.

I hope, for the sake of the Orioles, that that kid was worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    It should not be too hard for MLB to agree NOT to sign kids in nations like Korea before they graduate HS, though. South Korea is not the Caribbean.
    If Korea wanted it to be that way, it would be. But that isn't the rule right now.

The sticking point comes into play here because the kid was certainly old enough to be "in his final year of high school", but for whatever reason, he wasn't actually there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If Korea wanted it to be that way, it would be. But that isn't the rule right now.

The sticking point comes into play here because the kid was certainly old enough to be "in his final year of high school", but for whatever reason, he wasn't actually there yet.
    MLB should be proactive here - it should not be too hard to see the landmines ahead of them in countries like South Korea in situations like this and then act accordingly - for kids under a certain age for instance, require MLB to give an OK before the signing can go through - once a team tenders an offer to the MLB office that team has "dibs" at least until a decision is made. That way MLB could "feel out" the situation first and be sure they don;t overstep bounds. Too much at stake and they don't want to end up with Korea setting up a stranglehold system like Japan's.

If the IBAF had some regulatory teeth a stop could be out to this. Unfortunately MLB is the tail that wags the dog of international baseball.

Turn Off Ads?