Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keith Law/ESPN Top 100 Prospects

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Keith Law/ESPN Top 100 Prospects

This is a fully insider article, so I haven't seen the entire list. I just know where the three Reds on the list are. If you are an insider, you can see the full article here: http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...-2012-nos-1-25

8. Devin Mesoraco
    54. Daniel Corcino
    64. Billy Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keith Law/ESPN Top 100 Prospects

Said Hamilton's speed would be an 11 out of 10...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Grandal and Alonso both ranked behind Hamilton.

Nothing against the kid, but I'm a bit shocked at how high Corcino is here. I thought the consensus amongst scouts was that he was Johnny Cueto-lite.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Nothing against the kid, but I'm a bit shocked at how high Corcino is here. I thought the consensus amongst scouts was that he was Johnny Cueto-lite.
    IMO, Corcino is slightly behind where Cueto was at a similar age. His raw stuff might be a little bit better, while his polish might be a little bit worse. I think his upside is every bit as high as that of Cueto. Stuff and control are VERY similar in terms of "upside".

Law implies that Corcino could handle a jump to AA to skip the hitter's paradise of Bakersfield.

Hadn't thought or heard about that possibility before.
    Go BLUE!!!

Grandal at 65 and Alonso at 69.

While I really like Robert Stephenson, I still wish we would have taken Josh Bell or Daniel Norris (both of whom I wanted at the time) with last year's first rounder. Oh well.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Law implies that Corcino could handle a jump to AA to skip the hitter's paradise of Bakersfield.

Thought it and heard it. Don't expect it, but it also wouldn't shock me one bit if it happened. I think if he has an excellent spring, he could head to Pensacola.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Pensacola would have a truly stacked/crowded rotation in that case. Sulbaran, Crabbe, and Villarreal are already locks, with Ravin, Hotchkiss, Klinker, and Tanner likely fighting for the last two spots. Bumping up Corcino chokes down that rotation further.

Ravin has the raw stuff and still has real potential to break out if he can harness his control. Hotchkiss, while older, coming off injury, and potential bullpen material, is a season removed from being the Carolina League and Reds Minor League pitcher of the year. Klinker is a popular AAA guy coming off a rough season, and Tanner has been nothing but reliable at all levels he's pitched at. While Corcino certainly has the capability to jump up, I don't think he does to begin the season. Time spent facing good hitters probably won't hurt his development... it certainly didn't hurt Crabbe's or Sulbaran's.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Thought it and heard it. Don't expect it, but it also wouldn't shock me one bit if it happened. I think if he has an excellent spring, he could head to Pensacola.
    That might give Pensacola the best 1-2 punch in AA.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ravin, Hotchkiss, Klinker, and Tanner likely fighting for the last two spots. Bumping up Corcino chokes down that rotation further.
    Corcino means a heckuva lot more to the Reds than any of those guys. Remember, he's been invited to major league camp, and he's not even on the 40-man. I think he's got an excellent shot to be at AA. It's very likely he would have gone to Bakersfield at some point last year if they hadn't been so intent on winning in Dayton.

Few things...

- Alonso and Grandal oddly enough switched places on the list compared to his list last year.

- Whoever Law ranked as the 3rd prospect last year didn't even make his list this year. Can't figure out who that was though.

- Travis d'Arnaud was ranked 99 by law last year. This year he's ranked #6.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    - Whoever Law ranked as the 3rd prospect last year didn't even make his list this year. Can't figure out who that was though.
    Domonic Brown iIrc

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post

As camisadelgolf said it was Domonic Brown who was #3 on the ESPN list last year. Brown is no longer rookie-eligible so that is why he is not present on this list. Even if he were still eligible he would not rank as highly this year due to lesser performance in 2011 even before he got hurt.

Turn Off Ads?