Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We All Have Something In Common..

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

We All Have Something In Common..

We all love the Reds! We love them with a passion. We wouldn't of joined this forum if we didn't. So why do we have to pick and prod at individuals? Individuals who have a point of view just like you and me! Some people type differently and shouldn't be pin point for trying to express a creative side to them. Trust me folks it doesn't make your eyes bleed. Old Red Guard used to be frequented with at least 75-90 people constantly an im sure it will get near that come mid spring. But, it used to be fun here.. Getting Reds Hot Stove reports from Chip. BCubbs rants. Krusty's Trades. OnBaseMachines brilliance. DougDirts amazing minor league coverage.. Kid is really special. Lately it's become an all out diva-esc affair with people clamming over my stat tops your view or my knowledge and winning percentage trumps your saber metrics. Who cares. Why does everything have to be a debate? Most of the constant posters here have an advantage with the moderators here. I don't know if the mods are afraid to get pick on or what but the mods in return allow some of those gifted posters an easy way out and look the other way. You know it's true.. Don't send your PM's.

Instead let's get back to baseball! For some of you die hard fans who realize Spring Training starts next week and are über excited for the upcoming year like myself. I think if the moderators want to pull a Walt Jocketty of 2010-2011 and just sit on their hands and continue to let this banter continue then they won't have a firm grasp on the site. But if the turn in to this offseasons Walt Jocketty and prove to the followers they want to bring Championship caliber forum reading and atmosphere back to threads they'll stand up and take initiative. Make this site about baseball again and end all the little petty stuff that goes on here.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We All Have Something In Common..

What do you expect?It's been over four months since the Reds have played a game and everyone's a bit cranky.

It's a message board. The only reasons these things exist is because of debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    We all love the Reds! We love them with a passion. We wouldn't of joined this forum if we didn't. So why do we have to pick and prod at individuals? Individuals who have a point of view just like you and me! Some people type differently and shouldn't be pin point for trying to express a creative side to them. Trust me folks it doesn't make your eyes bleed. Old Red Guard used to be frequented with at least 75-90 people constantly an im sure it will get near that come mid spring. But, it used to be fun here.. Getting Reds Hot Stove reports from Chip. BCubbs rants. Krusty's Trades. OnBaseMachines brilliance. DougDirts amazing minor league coverage.. Kid is really special. Lately it's become an all out diva-esc affair with people clamming over my stat tops your view or my knowledge and winning percentage trumps your saber metrics. Who cares. Why does everything have to be a debate? Most of the constant posters here have an advantage with the moderators here. I don't know if the mods are afraid to get pick on or what but the mods in return allow some of those gifted posters an easy way out and look the other way. You know it's true.. Don't send your PM's.

Instead let's get back to baseball! For some of you die hard fans who realize Spring Training starts next week and are über excited for the upcoming year like myself. I think if the moderators want to pull a Walt Jocketty of 2010-2011 and just sit on their hands and continue to let this banter continue then they won't have a firm grasp on the site. But if the turn in to this offseasons Walt Jocketty and prove to the followers they want to bring Championship caliber forum reading and atmosphere back to threads they'll stand up and take initiative. Make this site about baseball again and end all the little petty stuff that goes on here.

Well said RedLegSuperStar,

I agree that the incidents of rudeness and disrespect on the Old Red Guard have skyrocketed, and much of it comes from the most frequent posters. I think our standards of conduct have slipped quite a bit. We are definitely not living up to the example the namesake of this forum set for us.

Definitely too much arguing and too little discussion these days. Express your opinion without ramming it down someone's throat. Read other peoples' opinions with the intent of learning something instead of searching for something to disagree with. If you disagree with someone refrain from quoting their post and tearing it to shreds.

I have been handled roughly a couple times in recent threads and rather than stay and fight I just abandoned the discussion. I don't like to argue. I know I am not alone and I imagine that is why many former All Star Redszoners stopped posting here.

Personally I feel the Politics forum has ramped up the levels of intolerance and disrespect on Redszone. That place is vile and it has spilled over into the main forum. I made the mistake of going there once and won't go back.

I am not sure what can be done to fix the problem. Perhaps a few temporary demotions to the Sun Deck? Perhaps a few posts publicly highlighted as examples of what is not acceptable?

Maybe a Redszone group project of some sort would make us all feel like a community again. We could form groups to write a series of articles and have them published in a book like The Hardball Times does. Maybe some contests for the best original content. Maybe some awards for exemplary writing.

How about a group outing at a Reds game with a meet-and-greet in the Funzone before the game? Anything that fosters a friendly rather than adversarial atmosphere on Redszone would be good.

Once we get our mojo back it might be nice to contact some of the great former members that don't come here any more and invite them to return.

Ehhh....I don;t get upset about it. I just remember everyone is passionate and sometimes I'm probably a real dumbutt and have irritated someone or made a stupid remark so I got an earful back. I post here BECAUSE people are passionate about the Reds and BECAUSE there are people who know much more than I do about the history of the team, about Stats and analysis, about scouting, about actually playing the game etc. In other words, I learn - and I enjoy. After a couple of heart attacks and a string of surgeries to keep this old ticker running - life is just too short to get offended - I enjoy every post and every day - each one is a gift!

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Ehhh....I don;t get upset about it. I just remember everyone is passionate and sometimes I'm probably a real dumbutt and have irritated someone or made a stupid remark so I got an earful back. I post here BECAUSE people are passionate about the Reds and BECAUSE there are people who know much more than I do about the history of the team, about Stats and analysis, about scouting, about actually playing the game etc. In other words, I learn - and I enjoy. After a couple of heart attacks and a string of surgeries to keep this old ticker running - life is just too short to get offended - I enjoy every post and every day - each one is a gift!
    If everyone had your attitude there would be a lot less arguing. Passion is good, vitriol is bad. Keep that ticker ticking!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

If you take some people's opinions, it seems like they are more interested in wrecking the franchise. With fans like those who needs the Cardinals?
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya,
    Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya,
    someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya,
    Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya,
    someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s sleeping Lord, Kumbaya,
    someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya,
    someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya,
    Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya,
    someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s sleeping Lord, Kumbaya,
    someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya.
    Someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
    reported for religious discussion

As far as I'm concerned, it's inevitable that people will be inappropriate with each other. Granted, I have higher expectations for RZ, but even when we're at our 'worst', I feel like it's better than I would expect on almost any other message board. Also, I'm really good at not caring about what people are saying since it has no effect on me. The only thing that can annoy me on a message board is people repeating themselves.

As far as I'm concerned, it's inevitable that people will be inappropriate with each other. Granted, I have higher expectations for RZ, but even when we're at our 'worst', I feel like it's better than I would expect on almost any other message board. Also, I'm really good at not caring about what people are saying since it has no effect on me. The only thing that can annoy me on a message board is people repeating themselves.

Take a peek at the ESPN message boards, and you'll realize how civil we are.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

-The Insider-

Personally I hate everyone on here.

/notseriousatall

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Take a peek at the ESPN message boards, and you'll realize how civil we are.
    We are still civil when compared with other sports message boards.

That has nothing to do with the very real drop in de facto standard of conduct.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Personally I feel the Politics forum has ramped up the levels of intolerance and disrespect on Redszone. That place is vile and it has spilled over into the main forum. I made the mistake of going there once and won't go back.
    I think you might have a point here. Taking a look at that part of the "discussion board" makes one's head explode. I can't help but think that some of the anger in that part of the forum spills onto the main part of the forum here, as you pointed out. I have strong political opinions but that place has become ridiculous.

I would also like to add that this is one of the more cordial forums I have ever been to. While I think we all could do better in being nice to the next guy, including myself, it's not as bad as I have seen at other places. Even though I'm not a Reds fan (respect the organization though), this is my favorite baseball forum. I absolutely cannot stand the vile nature of most Cardinals forums, for example. It's ironic that I feel more at home here than I do on my own team's forums. Maybe some ground rules do need to be set up or the rules that are in place need to be enforced a bit more. That said, it is still a better forum than 99% of the forums I have been to.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 02-10-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Turn Off Ads?