Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Decade Team

All Decade Team

I was looking at Baseball Almanacs rosters for the past decade just for f un and I started an all decade Reds team - here were my limits: A 15 man roster of All Decade Players. 8 starters 1 at each position, a LH and RH starter and a closer. Then 2 position subs - the best of the rest at any position left off the starting list, and the same for 2 pitchers/relievers or starters - the best remaining. The years I limited it to were 2001 through 2010.

LHSP - nothing but nothing here so Eric Milton wins by default. The Reds were absolutely horrible the past decade at lefty starters. Bruce Chen was here one year but he was used solely in relief so I can really count him.
    RHSP - Johnny Cueto. Harang was a close second but Johnny is better.
    Closer - Cordero. Weathers over Graves as the runners up.

Catcher - LaRue. Jason has to be the catcher of the decade for the Reds but that's not saying a lot.

1B - Joey Votto hands down.
    2B - Brandon Phillips - again no one else close.
    SS - Barry Larkin 2001 to 2004 at the end, out of his prime still better than anyone else we saw in the decade even comparing him as he was at 40 not looking back.
    3B - Scott Rolen - I gave him the nod for his 1 and a half years at the end of the decade over Encarnacion and Boonie. IMO, there was no title in 2010 without him. That's enough to get him the nod.

CF - Junior. Despite being hurt and at the end he was still better than anyone else on the Reds until his last two years when he really faded.
    RF - Bruce. Had Hamilton played even two years instead of just one he'd have gotten the nod here.
    LF - Dunn. I don't care about his collapse with the Chisox, while here he was an on base machine who slugged homers.

I picked Hamilton and Sean Casey as the two position players who were the best players left off the list and Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo as the best pitchers left off to round out my 15 player All Decade Reds Team.

Players I considered and didn't pick included pitchers Ryan Dempster, Lohse, Graves, Scott Williamson, Scott Sullivan, Pete Harnisch, Gabe White and Denny Reyes and position players like Deion Sanders, Drew Stubbs, Ryan Hanigan, Ramon Hernandez, Felipe Lopez, Scott Hatteberg, Juan Encarnacion, Norris Hopper, Aaron Boone and Alex Gonzalez.

When I look at the this team and look at the 2012 Reds - well I think the 2012 Reds could probably beat the all Decade team and that's pretty sad. I'm glad to see the end of that period of futility and a new decade ahead of us!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: All Decade Team

My starting lineup:
    CF Drew Stubbs - before last year, people were a lot more encouraged about his future
    3B Aaron Boone - solid regular
    LF Adam Dunn - historic player
    RF Austin Kearns - seemed to get worse every year, but it's easy to forget how hot he started out
    1B Joey Votto - I would've loved Casey, but Votto is just that good
    2B Brandon Phillips - the numbers speak for themselves
    SS Rich Aurilia - Larkin is one of my all-time favorite players, but at the end of his career, he just wasn't very good; also considered Felipe Lopez
    C Jason LaRue - Hanigan and Hernandez have been good, but LaRue has accomplished more as a Red last decade

BN Ryan Freel - in his prime, could play almost anywhere very well
    BN Sean Casey - good pure hitter

RHSP Harang - it's a toss-up between Harang and Arroyo, but Harang deserves it for longevity
    LHSP Livingston - no one deserves this "honor", but I think he was better in 10 games than any LHSP was as a Red during the decade; let me rephrase that--"wasn't as bad as . . . "
    CL Francisco Cordero - Dave Weathers deserves it, but I went with Cordero because he was only used as a closer whereas Weathers started as a set-up man
    RHRP David Weathers - an unsung hero who put together some very solid years in the pen
    LHRP Arthur Rhodes - was simply awesome for two years

Honorable mention: Elmer Dessens. He was phenomenal in 2001-02, but he didn't get to rack up many Reds milestones as a result of being traded.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    My starting lineup:
    CF Drew Stubbs - before last year, people were a lot more encouraged about his future
    RF Austin Kearns - seemed to get worse every year, but it's easy to forget how hot he started out
    SS Rich Aurilia - Larkin is one of my all-time favorite players, but at the end of his career, he just wasn't very good; also considered Felipe Lopez
    C Jason LaRue - Hanigan and Hernandez have been good, but LaRue has accomplished more as a Red last decade

RHSP Harang - it's a toss-up between Harang and Arroyo, but Harang deserves it for longevity
    LHSP Livingston - no one deserves this "honor", but I think he was better in 10 games than any LHSP was as a Red during the decade; let me rephrase that--"wasn't as bad as . . . "
    CL Francisco Cordero - Dave Weathers deserves it, but I went with Cordero because he was only used as a closer whereas Weathers started as a set-up man
    RHRP David Weathers - an unsung hero who put together some very solid years in the pen

Honorable mention: Elmer Dessens. He was phenomenal in 2001-02, but he didn't get to rack up many Reds milestones as a result of being traded.
    Stubbs at CF? Come on, you have to give that to Griffey.

1B - Joey Votto - Casey had good years mixed with some disappointment, but Votto has been good to great each year he has played.

2B - Phillips

SS - Platoon - Larkin and Aurilia - Aurilia had two good comeback years with the Reds and Barry Larkin is the man. I know it does not mean much, but he was an All-Star his last year.

3B - A. Boone - he was better than Edwin and gave us more productive years than Rolen has.

C - Larue - Stalwart behind the plate.

LF - Dunn - no argument can be made here.

CF - Griffey - even though we did not get what we expected, Griffey put up some numbers here as a Red in this decade.

RF - Platoon - Kearns and Bruce - Kearns has a higher OBP and OPS in a Reds Uniform, but Bruce is still young and maturing in his power numbers - I included Bruce in the platoon because of his much improved 2010 season numbers. Honorable metion goes to Jose Guillen - 27 HR 79 RBI .363 OBP .929 OPS as a Red.

SP Bronson Arroyo - 70 W 60 L 3.97 ERA Over 200 IP each season
    RP David Weathers - Best used as a middle relief pitcher, was a good leader out of the pen.
    CP - Cordero was the best we had - he was a better closer than Weathers and Graves.

Bench - Sean Casey

Manager - Dusty Baker was the only one to take us to the playoffs, so he wins.
    Last edited by tommycash; 02-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

My starting lineup:

Stubbs did not really even play in the last decade? What 1 year?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Stubbs at CF? Come on, you have to give that to Griffey.
    Drew Stubbs had 5.4 WAR in less than two full seasons. Griffey had a total of 6.2 WAR as a Red from 2001 to 2008. It would've been more had he not insisted on playing center field, but I won't fault him too much for that. His last four years in Cincinnati, he was so immobile that he would've been an epicly terrible fielder no matter where you put him. That's also not to mention how often he was pinch-ran for or ran less than 100% on the basepaths for fear of injury. And not that it's relevant imo, but his albatross salary would be enough for me to eliminate him from a tiebreaker.

Drew Stubbs had the best year by a center fielder in the 00's and Jr had the most production by a center fielder in the decade. Any argument there?

Now how does that info get applied to this "team"?

Drew Stubbs had 5.4 WAR in less than two full seasons. Griffey had a total of 6.2 WAR as a Red from 2001 to 2008. It would've been more had he not insisted on playing center field, but I won't fault him too much for that. His last four years in Cincinnati, he was so immobile that he would've been an epicly terrible fielder no matter where you put him. That's also not to mention how often he was pinch-ran for or ran less than 100% on the basepaths for fear of injury. And not that it's relevant imo, but his albatross salary would be enough for me to eliminate him from a tiebreaker.
    Stubbs had a 5.2 WAR in 2010. His WAR in 2009 was 1.8. According to the OP, we should be looking at the years 2001-2010. THat only gives us one year of Stubbs, and it was not a bad year but he had a .329 OBP and .773 OPS.

Griffey as a Red:
    210 HR
    602 RBI
    .362 OBP
    .876 OPS
    I think that merits Griffey getting the nod, as opposed to just one year of Stubbs (because Stubbs did not have a full year in 2009). Yes Griffey was overpaid and injured, but to put Stubbs over him because of one year is not really fair. By that logic, then Jose Guillen is the best RF the Reds had in the same decade, because of one year.

I do understand your viewpoint, and hopefully Stubbs will be a better Red than Griffey, but I can't give him the nod in this case. JMO.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I like these lists better when you got to pick a person at a specific point in time. So for my lineup, I'd go:

SS Lopez (2005)
    1B Votto (2009)
    CF Griffey (2000)
    LF Dunn (2004)
    RF Kearns (2002)
    2B Phillips (2007)
    C Ross (2006)
    3B Aurillia (2006)

Man, C and 3B were tough. We really didn't have any big standout seasons from those positions during the 2000s.

If I was doing a representative for the whole decade together, I'd keep it simple -- a balance of effectiveness and playing time, WAR:

Code:
    		1st Team			2nd Team	
    	Player		 WAR		Player		 WAR
    C	LaRue		10.5		Ross		 4.3
    1B	Casey		13.7		Votto		 8.6
    2B	Phillips	13.5		Jimenez		 5.4
    SS	Larkin		 6.6		Lopez		 5.9
    3B	Boone		 8.7		Encarnacion	 5.2
    LF	Dunn		22.6		Young		 3.6
    CF	Griffey		11.8		Freel		10.9
    RF	Kearns		11.1		Ochoa		 3.7
    That probably rings truest to most people -- and with the exception of Phillips, it's all first half of the decade guys on the 1st team.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I really like RMR's approach to putting a team together, both the WAR for the whole decade and a year in time approach. The overall WAR gives credit for service time which I think is important to a degree when you're talking about a team representing a whole period in time.

My starting lineup:

I think I'd give the nod to Lopez over Larkin or Aurilia. While Aurilia had a couple solid seasons, he only played 56 games at short in his time with the Reds. Comparing Larkin and Lopez, meanwhile, we have:

Lopez: .265/.340/.421
    Larkin: .266/.334/.385

Interestingly enough, between 2001 and 2011, they played exactly the same number of games with the Reds. Also, according to UZR, at least, both were subpar with the glove, which I suppose isn't surprising given this was the end of Larkin's career. With that in mind, I'll take Lopez for the extra pop.

On a side note, it's hard to remember just how promising Lopez was at one point. His 2005 seasons was actually one of the best by an NL shortstop in the last decade or so, and as recently as 2009, he showed some signs of being a quality player. This year, however, it looks like he might not even find a job.

It's kind of shocking that LaRue would be the catcher of the decade. I always thought he was an average catcher. I guess longevity has a lot to do with it.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    It's kind of shocking that LaRue would be the catcher of the decade. I always thought he was an average catcher. I guess longevity has a lot to do with it.
    That and the fact that the Reds had squat for catchers in the decade.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Shouldn't it be 2000 to 2009?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Shouldn't it be 2000 to 2009?
    If you want to get technical, the decade didn't start until 2001. I think 2000-2010 is a good time frame.

That and the fact that the Reds had squat for catchers in the decade.
    I think most teams not named the Yankees have a certain position in which there was a gapping hole for a decade. I know the Cards for example, the second base play has been pathetic looking at that list. Their best 2nd baseman in the decade was Fernando Vina.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    If you want to get technical, the decade didn't start until 2001. I think 2000-2010 is a good time frame.
    I went 2000-2009. It's all arbitrary, but in my mind, the decade is defined by the number in the tens place. 200x is the 2000s, 201x is the 2010s, etc.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?