Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most amazing baseball feat.

Most amazing baseball feat.

What is the most amazing baseball feats you have seen live on TV or in person?

The thing I saw live on TV that will never, ever (guaranteed) to happen again is when Fernando Tatis hit two grand slams in the same inning off the same pitcher. I had to pick my jaw off the floor when this feat was accomplished. The clip below shows what happened. Vin Scully's call is classic, of course:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14185449

The other feat I saw which made me laugh was Bengie Molina hitting for the cycle. This is the last person I would expect to hit for the cycle. Thank god for MLB Networks live look ins during the season:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9969169

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Most amazing baseball feat.

Live: I was at the game where Pete got hit 4192. Runner up would be the game where Dave Parker threw out a runner at home, then led off the bottom half of the inning with a home run. Honorable mention would be Larkin hit 2 home runs in a game on his way to hitting 5 home runs over 2 consecutive games. A note: friends had an extra ticket to see Tom Browning pitched Reds game in Sept. 1988, but they didn't ask because I was already at work for the evening. Besides it was raining so it wasn't clear whether the game would even go off...

TV: Has to be 1990 playoffs, Eric Davis throws out Bobby Bonilla at 3rd base. From center field. After running over from left to back up the play. To this day that's the best Reds defensive play I've ever seen on TV. Others I may or may not have seen on TV (don't really remember): Bo Jackson throws out Harold Reynolds at home; Jack Morris throws a no-hitter.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Live: I was at the game where Pete got hit 4192. Runner up would be the game where Dave Parker threw out a runner at home, then led off the bottom half of the inning with a home run. Honorable mention would be Larkin hit 2 home runs in a game on his way to hitting 5 home runs over 2 consecutive games. A note: friends had an extra ticket to see Tom Browning pitched Reds game in Sept. 1988, but they didn't ask because I was already at work for the evening. Besides it was raining so it wasn't clear whether the game would even go off...

TV: Has to be 1990 playoffs, Eric Davis throws out Bobby Bonilla at 3rd base. From center field. After running over from left to back up the play. To this day that's the best Reds defensive play I've ever seen on TV. Others I may or may not have seen on TV (don't really remember): Bo Jackson throws out Harold Reynolds at home; Jack Morris throws a no-hitter.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

On tv: Unfortunately, it was probably Roy Halladay vs the Reds in the 2010 playoffs.

In person: Adam Dunn walk off slam against the Indians? Wily Mo Pena hitting a baseball 498 feet?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    On tv: Unfortunately, it was probably Roy Halladay vs the Reds in the 2010 playoffs.

In person: Adam Dunn walk off slam against the Indians? Wily Mo Pena hitting a baseball 498 feet?
    dougdirt, I was going to mention Halladay but I didn't want to start anything here in the Redszone with people because I figured it was still too soon.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Mike, the pic is too small, but I'm assuming that's Stan as your avatar? It looks like a six.

I posted this a couple of years ago and am too lazy to retype it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball
    I was at a game at Fenway Park in 1978 for a game between the Red Sox and Rangers. Len Barker was a young, hard throwing pitcher before his best days with the Indians. He was pitching to Dwight Evans when he uncorked the most amazing wild pitch I've ever seen. It literally went high in the air almost to the broadcast booth behind homeplate. Evans had no idea where the ball went and bailed out backwards almost to the ondeck circle. Whichever network had the Game of the Week in those days would show the clip a lot in their advertisements.

I'm not sure this one counts, but in 1993 we went to a White Sox versus Rangers game in Arlington, Texas. It was not much of a game, but the next night we went to Six Flags which was right next door to that stadium. As we were leaving Six Flags and walking across the parking lot, Arlington Stadium absolutely exploded in excitement. It was an incredible outburst. We got into the car to drive to our motel, and I found the game on the radio. The announcers were describing Robin Ventura's charge of the mound and the how Nolan Ryan had taught him an old time Texas lesson. It was the most famous fight, baseball or otherwise, in Texas history...and I almost saw it.
    We discussed the Eephus pitch earlier but that wasn't what Barker was trying to throw. He had already put men on with a walk and a hit batsman.
    Last edited by Spitball; 02-11-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Live: I was at the game in the 1990's at Riverfront where Mark Whiten hit 4 HRs. Also in 1998 watching Mark McGwire hit batting practice during the Maris chase and catching BP HR balls in the Red seats left and right!

TV: Halladay's no-hitter or the Boston Red Sox amazing 2004 playoff run of comeback wins. David Freese '11 WS performance rates pretty high too.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Mike, the pic is too small, but I'm assuming that's Stan as your avatar? It looks like a six.
    Yep

EDIT: Changed the picture so it could be seen more clearly.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 02-11-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Honorable mention would be Larkin hit 2 home runs in a game on his way to hitting 5 home runs over 2 consecutive games.
    I was at that game, too.

I listened on the radio, but I always thought Rick Wise's no-hitter against the Big Red Machine while hitting two home runs deserved more attention as one of the great games a player could have.

I'm not sure this one counts, but in 1993 we went to a White Sox versus Rangers game in Arlington, Texas. It was not much of a game, but the next night we went to Six Flags which was right next door to that stadium. As we were leaving Six Flags and walking across the parking lot, Arlington Stadium absolutely exploded in excitement. It was an incredible outburst. We got into the car to drive to our motel, and I found the game on the radio. The announcers were describing Robin Ventura's charge of the mound and the how Nolan Ryan had taught him an old time Texas lesson. It was the most famous fight, baseball or otherwise, in Texas history...and I almost saw it.
    Here you go Spit:

Nolan Ryan vs. Robin Ventura: The infamous noogie brawl on August 4, 1993 - YouTube

That alone made him a Hall of Famer in my book, lol

On TV: Randy Johnson's perfect game for the Diamondbacks in 2004

In person: A Ryan Freel diving catch on the warning track against the Cardinals in... 2006 I think? I hope someone else remembers this as well... Absolutely amazing full-out diving catch onto the dirt on the warning track, and doubled off another player to boot!
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Plus, speaking of a great catch, I forgot this gem. Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS. Rolen hits a ball deep to the outfield and Endy Chavez makes one of the best catches I have ever seen. This was also, arguably, the best game I have ever seen.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4498187

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

That ball Canseco hit into the upper deck in Toronto during the ALCS (don't recall the year) was just an unbelievable moon shot. I've never seen another one hit like that that I recall or sticks in my memory.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Plus, speaking of a great catch, I forgot this gem. Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS. Rolen hits a ball deep to the outfield and Endy Chavez makes one of the best catches I have ever seen. This was also, arguably, the best game I have ever seen.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4498187
    I almost mentioned that play as well.

Turn Off Ads?