Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most amazing baseball feat.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Live:

the game where Junior hit the inside the park walkoff home run over the Cards. But its not limited to just that play, Pujols hit a ball over the black monster, or whatever we called that short lived super high OF wall/batters eye in CF while the current park was being built. I think it was the first homer hit over that thing, I remember talking to my buddy before the game, or early on I suppose if anyone would ever hit a home run directly over. My thought was that most bombs were pulled down the lines, while homers to direct CF were ususally more on a rope. Pujols proved me wrong, as did a handful of other people in the 2(?) seasons that wall was erected prior to moving into the new digs. That game also had a 9th inning backup catcher (kelly stinett?) homerun to tie the ball game and send it to extras, it had a collision at 2b that may (or many not) have knocked fernando Vina out of the game. As a Reds fan, I don't know that you could provide a more entertaining mid May game than that one.

On TV: well it was on highlights anyways, may have even been a ST game, I can't recall for sure, but the Randy Johnson pitch that hit the bird as it swooped across the diamond. Seriously, what are the odds of that happening? Even more so on a Randy Johnson heater?
    I saw Kevin Young of the Pirates hit one over that wall off Graves to force extras. I remember thinking that was probably the first to clear it because it was early April. I also saw David Ross hit into a 5-4-3 triple play against Philly. Hamels struck out 15 in that game, which I think is still the GABP record.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most amazing baseball feat.

Ozzie Smith Diving catch, 8/4/86 vs. Pittsburgh.

He ran deep into the outfield, dove over Curt Ford, the left fielder and made a fully stretched out, over the shoulder, back to home plate, basket catch, narrowly avoiding a collision. Can't find any footage of it, but it was the easily the most amazing baseball play I ever saw.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Game 4 of a certain series w/ Oakland in 1990.

Couple of unique ones...

The game Dravecky's arm snapped.

Browning fouling a ball off home plate and bloodying his nose.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

In person, the most amazing feat was seeing Phil Niekro come within two outs of no hitting the 76 Reds on the next to last day of the season. I kinda wish he had done it now. Not often you can witness a no hitter.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The game Dravecky's arm snapped.
    Ugg... I saw a clip of that on MLB network and it made my stomach churn. I don't know if I would qualify that as a feat though, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Ugg... I saw a clip of that on MLB network and it made my stomach churn. I don't know if I would qualify that as a feat though, lol.
    I think the same thing happened to Tom Browning. No, not a pretty thing to watch.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 02-14-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Yep, right up there with Joe Theisman. Yuck.

In person: I was at the game when Mark McGwire hit the longest homer ever hit at Riverfront, and I was at the game where Adam Dunn hit the ball to the river (the longest homer ever hit at GABP). Ron Robinson's 8 2/3 innings of perfect ball. Game 2 of the 1990 World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    In person: I was at the game when Mark McGwire hit the longest homer ever hit at Riverfront, and I was at the game where Adam Dunn hit the ball to the river (the longest homer ever hit at GABP). Ron Robinson's 8 2/3 innings of perfect ball. Game 2 of the 1990 World Series.
    As much as we all hate PED's, the 98 home run chase was dang fun. That whole year was a baseball feat onto itself.

The thing I remember most was not even part of the game. I was there when John McSherry passed away on the field on opening day.

Surreal moment.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    As much as we all hate PED's, the 98 home run chase was dang fun. That whole year was a baseball feat onto itself.
    If you consider that, you would have to say the 1919 World Series was the greatest feat ever. Sorry, frauds are automatically eliminated in my book. They rank 1-2 as the greatest embarrassments in baseball history,
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The most amazing feat in baseball I witnessed over a span of time was Pete Rose's 44 game hitting streak in 1978. It was captivating. Everyday wondering and hoping he would get a hit. Most of the games were not on TV then. The game he broke Tommy Holmes streak was on TV and some of the last games were. Only because they were playing the Braves that televised all their games on WTBS. The streak breaker was on TV and it was disappointing when it came to an end.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If you consider that, you would have to say the 1919 World Series was the greatest feat ever. Sorry, frauds are automatically eliminated in my book. They rank 1-2 as the greatest embarrassments in baseball history,
    I would suggest that the 1919 Series, while definitely tainted, is not an apt comparison. There are many who have suggested that the Reds would have beat the White Sox (Edd Roush went to his grave saying so, for one). The cheating there was one sided and, at that, limited to certain players. Here's an interesting read about that very good Reds club: http://rnishi.wordpress.com/category...ncinnati-reds/ - no question that series is an embarrassment in ML history, but I won't diminish our clubs quality.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

In person: I was at the game when Mark McGwire hit the longest homer ever hit at Riverfront, and I was at the game where Adam Dunn hit the ball to the river (the longest homer ever hit at GABP).
    This McGwire homer was in 2000, I believe. Junior was playing center. We were sitting in the lower section of the red seats, in fair territory. From that distance, the batter was about the size of a postage stamp, even McGwire. He hits a towering, towering fly ball. We, in the Red seats, have to strain our necks upward to watch the ball, and then it just keeps carrying and carrying and lands in the red seats over the 375' marker. It was tremendous. Dunn's blast at GABP over the batter's eye building, in contrast, was a bullet. It was a line drive that just kept carrying. The best part of that was Steve Finley going back like he might have a play on the ball, and then just looking up and watching it disappear behind the batter's eye.

While looking for something else, I happened to notice a list of Reds players who have hit for the cycle. I know it's a rare feat, but only six players have done it, with Eric Davis being the most recent in 1989.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/reds.shtml

(NOTE: my anti-virus program first claimed a threat was detected with that link, but I emailed baseball-almanac about it and he said he'd had certain programs coming up with that, but that other sites had given him a clean read - I just went to the page again & no threat was detected).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?