Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Most amazing baseball feat.

Re: Most amazing baseball feat.

a few...

live...can't remember the year but the Pirates were in town and putting a beat down on our boys(seems like Tim Belcher had the bullseye on him that day for some reason) and Bonds hit a bases loaded triple with a 2 strike count and then the following inning laid out on the left field turf to steal extra bases at a very meaningless point in the game. Love him or hate him that made a very lasting impression on me.

a couple I didn't see in person but incredible nonetheless...Johnny homering on Johnny Bench night and the same for Cal Ripken as he broke the consecutive games streak.

tv....seeing Jake Taylor point to the bleachers and then dropping down a beautiful surprise bunt and beating out the throw on bad knees...get that run in anyway you can!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    While looking for something else, I happened to notice a list of Reds players who have hit for the cycle. I know it's a rare feat, but only six players have done it, with Eric Davis being the most recent in 1989.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/reds.shtml

(NOTE: my anti-virus program first claimed a threat was detected with that link, but I emailed baseball-almanac about it and he said he'd had certain programs coming up with that, but that other sites had given him a clean read - I just went to the page again & no threat was detected).
    For me, the one thing that stands out the most of everything on that page is this.

Cincinnati Reds Cy Young Winners
    Year
    Name
    Position
    None
    n/a
    n/a
    For a franchise that has been around as long as Cincy has been, this is flat out shocking. I mean I've known it, this isn't new information to me or anything. But it's still mind-boggling that we've never had ONE. I'd love to see that change in the next year or so. :O)

Wow... you guys never had a Cy Young winner?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Wow... you guys never had a Cy Young winner?
    Nope. There were some seasons in the late 30's and early 40's where had the award existed, we likely would have. For example, Bucky Walters was the league MVP in 1939, my guess is he'd have won. We've had some fall short (others can fill in the details, I can't recall the specific seasons - I think Tom Seaver got overlooked one year, Danny Jackson another, IIRC). There have been a good handful of one-time Cy Young winners who've pitched for the Reds, but we've never had the winner be a Red. Maybe this year.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Nope. There were some seasons in the late 30's and early 40's where had the award existed, we likely would have. For example, Bucky Walters was the league MVP in 1939, my guess is he'd have won. We've had some fall short (others can fill in the details, I can't recall the specific seasons - I think Tom Seaver got overlooked one year, Danny Jackson another, IIRC). There have been a good handful of one-time Cy Young winners who've pitched for the Reds, but we've never had the winner be a Red. Maybe this year.
    I think Seaver was 2nd in the 1981 voting. Jackson was 2nd in the 1988 voting. Hershiser beat him out when he had that long scoreless streak. Maybe Cueto can do it this year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I am probably the only person on the East Coast who saw Bonds' 599th and 600th live.

Also saw Halladay's playoff no no against some team.

Almost forgot, saw Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS when they completed the historic NYY collapse.

Live: Saw Anderson Machado score on his own bunt against the Braves.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think Seaver was 2nd in the 1981 voting. Jackson was 2nd in the 1988 voting. Hershiser beat him out when he had that long scoreless streak. Maybe Cueto can do it this year.
    Yeah, the Cy Young race between Jackson and Hershiser was VERY close until Hershiser had his run.

Also, Soto finished 2nd in 1983 CY voting to a deserving John Denny.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

As for Cy Young Reds snubs....this one took the cake for me. I didn't expect him to WIN, but the way he was treated was absurd.

Aaron Harang was only the ninth pitcher since 1960 to lead the National League in both wins and strikeouts (it has occurred 12 times in baseball history). However, he did not receive any votes for the National League Cy Young Award (Brandon Webb won the award in 2006). All previous pitchers that led the National League in both categories have won the award.
    Yep, he didn't get ANY votes. ZERO. That's beyond a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    As for Cy Young Reds snubs....this one took the cake for me. I didn't expect him to WIN, but the way he was treated was absurd.

Yep, he didn't get ANY votes. ZERO. That's beyond a joke.
    While that may be bad, the worst vote in the history of bad votes is Marty Marion winning the 1944 MVP over Stan Musial. People want to debate that it's Mickey Cochrane over Gehrig but in that case, Mickey Cochrane not only had a spectacular offensive year as a catcher but was also was player manager who led his team to the playoffs. Gehrig still deserved that award that year but you could kind of see why voters voted for Cochrane. There is no logical argument for Marion. If you look at Marty Marion's stats, you wonder if the baseball writers were smoking something very potent in the 1944 vote. Just like Ted Williams, Stan Musial probably could have had more MVP's than he won.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/aw...rds_1944.shtml

Wow, that's got to be the worst stat line I've ever seen for an MVP winner. I'm not sure that Musial should've won it that year, but Marion certainly shouldn't have. A case could certainly be made for the Cubs' Bill Nicholson. Especially considering that during that era it was still all about Avg/Hr/Rbi stat lines.

I must say that Bucky Walter's numbers do jump out at me there too. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/aw...rds_1944.shtml

Wow, that's got to be the worst stat line I've ever seen for an MVP winner. I'm not sure that Musial should've won it that year, but Marion certainly shouldn't have. A case could certainly be made for the Cubs' Bill Nicholson. Especially considering that during that era it was still all about Avg/Hr/Rbi stat lines.

I must say that Bucky Walter's numbers do jump out at me there too. :O)
    It is statistically the worst MVP line in the history of the MVP vote. Couldn't you imagine any every day player modern day getting a single MVP vote with a .686 OPS? Even if you go by the traditional voting standards, he doesn't even cut the muster. Hitting .267 was even bad at that time.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 02-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?