Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How to Throw an Eephus Pitch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to Throw an Eephus Pitch

Former Red John Riedling gives some enlightening instruction on how to throw an eephus pitch. Enjoy!
    Baseball Pitching : How to Throw an Eephus Pitch - YouTube

Re: How to Throw an Eephus Pitch

On a related note, here is Steve Hamilton throwing his Folly Floater twice to Tony Horton. This is an entertaining clip but note Horton crawl into the dugout. Everyone thought he was joking around, but he was actually having a nervous breakdown. He would never play baseball again.

Apparently, his dad was a nightmare Baseball Dad who pushed his son way too hard.

Folly Floater: Hamilton vs Horton - YouTube
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Spit, I saw this clip a year or so ago and did some quick online research on Horton. You are right. He was going through a breakdown at that point and this was an embarrassing moment to him. Never really recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    On a related note, here is Steve Hamilton throwing his Folly Floater twice to Tony Horton. This is an entertaining clip but note Horton crawl into the dugout. Everyone thought he was joking around, but he was actually having a nervous breakdown. He would never play baseball again.

Apparently, his dad was a nightmare Baseball Dad who pushed his son way too hard.

Folly Floater: Hamilton vs Horton - YouTube
    I hadn't heard of this, so I did a quick search. He played a couple of more months, then slit his wrists. He survived.

Here's where I found it. A Deadspin article with a little language (not the worst I've seen, but not board-appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I hadn't heard of this, so I did a quick search. He played a couple of more months, then slit his wrists. He survived.

Here's where I found it. A Deadspin article with a little language (not the worst I've seen, but not board-appropriate.
    Great article. Thanks, Tixie. I was in about fifth grade and living in the Boston area when he first arrived in the big leagues. The Red Sox also had another Tony in Tony Conigliaro (another sad story) who had arrived as a teenager and hit 24 homeruns. At the time, I was excited about having two Tonys. I was disappointed when he was traded to Cleveland despite George Scott's hot start as a rookie first baseman with the World Series bound 1967 Red Sox.

Apparently, his father had a lot to do with his problems. I think this is important since many of us work with young players and might take note of such parental behavior.

There was a research presentation on Horton five years ago at the annual SABR conference that discussed Horton and his life. He apparently had the ultimate sports bully father from hell who put a tremendous amount of pressure on his son at all times to work at baseball. Horton went into the sport not by choice but by compulsion. One of the audience members at the presentation was a former college friend of Horton, who verified that his dad was a nightmare.
    Here is the whole article:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/bl...g-mental-heal/
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Interesting that this shows up now. I just speculated yesterday that the Reds minor leaguer formerly known as Jonathan Correa is really Pascual Perez.
    Last edited by tixe; 02-11-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct

As I recall, the main problem with my brief baseball career was that I couldn't throw anything BUT an eephus pitch...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    As I recall, the main problem with my brief baseball career was that I couldn't throw anything BUT an eephus pitch...

Haha...ditto.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I've searched for years of that clip of Pascual Perez (Montreal) throwing that sucker slowdown pitch to strike someone out. Don't remember who was at the plate, but they weren't too happy.

My favorite Eephus pitch moment is Tony Perez hitting a HR off of Bill Lee on an Eephus pitch n the 1975 series. IIRC, it was in game 7 and the Reds were down 3-0 at the time and Perez HR brought them back to 3-2 and everyone knew they were going to win from there.

I'd argue that that HR was the single most important hit in Reds' history.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    My favorite Eephus pitch moment is Tony Perez hitting a HR off of Bill Lee on an Eephus pitch n the 1975 series. IIRC, it was in game 7 and the Reds were down 3-0 at the time and Perez HR brought them back to 3-2 and everyone knew they were going to win from there.

I'd argue that that HR was the single most important hit in Reds' history.
    Yep. If Perez doesn't hit that HR the Reds probably lose the Series.
    The Reds had so much talent maybe they still win the 1976 World Series, but the Reds by then would have really been burdened with the reputation of having lost 3 World Series and not being able to win "the big one." Even if they had won in '76 in the end the Big Red Machine would have had only a single world championship to its credit.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Former Red John Riedling gives some enlightening instruction on how to throw an eephus pitch. Enjoy!
    Baseball Pitching : How to Throw an Eephus Pitch - YouTube
    In construction, they have EIFS which we call "Eefus". It stands for Exterior Insulated Finish System, also known as the foam stucco finish you see on many buildings nowadays.

Turn Off Ads?