Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Birthdays: 2/12

  1. #1
    Member chicoruiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,714

    Birthdays: 2/12

    Reds:

    Todd Frazier (26) -If I were him, I'd be begging to be tried at shortstop this spring...if he could play the position even half-decently he'd have this club made.

    Dave Revering (59) -Part of the Vida Blue trade that Bowie Kuhn vetoed, that would have made the Reds probably the best team of all time. But I'm not bitter...

    Chick Hafey -Spent the bulk of his career as a Cardinal, then joined the Reds in the early thirties. A terrific hitter in spite of having terrible eyesight. Became a Hall of Famer during the period when Frankie Frisch dominated the Veteran's Committee and was inducting his old teamates by the carload. He had big stats, but a shortish career for a HOFer, and he only finished in the top 10 in MVP voting once- that doesn't sound like a Hall of Famer to me.

    Others:

    Don Stanhouse (61) -Closer for some of Earl Weaver's Oriole clubs. Weaver called him "Fullpack" because Earl would smoke a whole pack of cigarettes while watching Stanhouse struggle to close the deal on a save. The last couple of years, I've felt like Coco Cordero was a Stanhouse for the new millennium.

    Enzo Hernandez (63) -My favorite baseball stat: 1971- Enzo had 618 PAs and only 12 RBIs. Twelve!!!

    Lenny Randle (63) -Known for being the first American to play professionally in Italy, for punching his manager, and for attempting to blow a rolling bunt foul.

    Joe Garagiola (86) -I noticed that he didn't show up at the "Today Show" 60th anniversary show. I hope he's OK. His book Baseball Is A Funny Game was a favorite of mine as a kid.

    Dom DiMaggio -Passed away in 2009 at age 92 after a long, happy life and career both on and off the diamond.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,008

    Re: Birthdays: 2/12

    Enzo Hernandez may have been the worst lead-off hitter, ever.

    I hope Garagiola is OK. One of my all time favorites. He still does a few games for the D-Backs telecasts when Mark Grace is away doing FOX games. He's still a pleasure to listen to.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  4. #3
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,025

    Re: Birthdays: 2/12

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I hope Garagiola is OK. One of my all time favorites. He still does a few games for the D-Backs telecasts when Mark Grace is away doing FOX games. He's still a pleasure to listen to.
    I'm hoping that he is doing OK as well. I first heard him as part of the Cardinals KMOX radio team in the 1950s which consisted of Harry Caray, Jack Buck and Joe. He was very entertaining to listen to.
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

  5. #4
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Aurora, IN
    Posts
    15,025

    Re: Birthdays: 2/12

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

    Joe Garagiola (86) -I noticed that he didn't show up at the "Today Show" 60th anniversary show. I hope he's OK. His book Baseball Is A Funny Game was a favorite of mine as a kid.
    Well, Joe celebrates his birthday today...he is now 87. Not sure about his health.

    One of many quotes of his that I like:

    Garagiola grew up in the Italian-American neighborhood in St. Louis known as 'The Hill' and one of his childhood friends and competitors was Yogi Berra who lived just a few doors down. Joe's quote was: "Not only was I not the best catcher in the Major Leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street."

  6. #5
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    2,673

    Re: Birthdays: 2/12

    Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

    Dave Revering (59) -Part of the Vida Blue trade that Bowie Kuhn vetoed, that would have made the Reds probably the best team of all time. But I'm not bitter...

    [
    And, who know how many more years Sparky would have managed the Reds. (Fired after that 1978 season)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

  7. #6
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,008

    Re: Birthdays: 2/12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Well, Joe celebrates his birthday today...he is now 87. Not sure about his health.

    One of many quotes of his that I like:

    Garagiola grew up in the Italian-American neighborhood in St. Louis known as 'The Hill' and one of his childhood friends and competitors was Yogi Berra who lived just a few doors down. Joe's quote was: "Not only was I not the best catcher in the Major Leagues, I wasn't even the best catcher on my street."
    At the end of last season he was still doing fine. He did a few games on TV for D'Backs. One of those was the last weekend of the season. Still a pleasure to listen to when he does these games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25