Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Brackman

Reds Sign Brackman

Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Walt makes his move! (ok... a move)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/1...medium=twitter

The Reds have agreed to sign former first round pick Andrew Brackman to a Major League deal, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (Twitter link). The 26-year-old Cincinnati native will earn the MLB minimum plus incentives.
    They must really like his upside, because normally you wouldn't be too keen on paying $400,000 and givng a roster spot to a 26 year old who walked more the 7 per 9 last year in AAA. I wonder what this means in terms of him going to the minors. Does that require an option?

Here's a recent Fangraphs article on his flameout: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ve-draft-bust/

I wonder if they'll move him back to starting or try to capitalize on his "success" as a reliever.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 12-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Re: Reds Sign Brackman

Glad to see a Cincinnati kid getting another chance and I'm sure he is thrilled to return home. There is minimal risk involved but unfortunately I also think minimal reward. My guess is he is taking D-Train's spot.

Very glad to see this. He's really struggled to meet expectations in the Yankees system -- they even had him in the majors last year. Hopefully some patience and time in AAA will get him on track. Great athlete for a 6'10" guy. Definitely worth a flyer and a roster spot at this point in his career.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

It's a major league deal aswell

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Walt makes his move! (ok... a move)

Ohhhhhhh boy.

Well that's 3 more seats we'll probably sell for a lot of games (Brackman's mom, dad, sister/girlfriend).
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Reds seem to be acquiring a hoops team. Brackman is 6'10''. Juan Duran is quite tall. Then there's the basketball player they got in the last draft.

Walt is probably beating the bushes for a point guard.

No problem with this pickup, but the pitcher probably will be in the minor leagues most or all of next year.

The pitching is fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I had forgotten how tall he is (and didn't realize he's a hometown kid).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Glad to see a Cincinnati kid getting another chance and I'm sure he is thrilled to return home. There is minimal risk involved but unfortunately I also think minimal reward. My guess is he is taking D-Train's spot.
    After years of criticism about the size of their ballpark, the Cincinnati Reds announced they will be raising a portion of the outfield wall in an unconventional way. The plan is to have Andrew Brackman, Aroldis Chapman, and Logan Ondrusek stand in the bullpen behind the LCF fence. The three relievers are expected to add 5 feet to the to top of the wall. When one of the three is called upon to pitch, he'll be replaced by a life size picture of Danny Graves standing on top of a 3 foot box.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Walt makes his move! (ok... a move)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Ohhhhhhh boy.

Well that's 3 more seats we'll probably sell for a lot of games (Brackman's mom, dad, sister/girlfriend).
    And a lot of former Crusaders like myself will be attending even more games and have a new favorite Red. Drew has been a major disappointment as a minor leaguer so far, so I don't expect much. That being said, I will be the one making the most excuses for Drew this year. Let's hope he can turn it around so I don't have to.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    (and didn't realize he's a hometown kid).
    Yes, he is a local kid. He attended Archbishop Moeller High School, the same high school, Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr., David Bell and I did. He was an amazing high school baseball player. He was two years older than me and no one wanted to stand in that box. I am also very good friends with one of his first cousins. I am very happy to see him in a Reds' uniform.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I've got no problem with the Reds giving this guy a shot. But a major league contract?!? That part is puzzling to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Yes, he is a local kid. He attended Archbishop Moeller High School, the same high school, Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr., David Bell and I did. He was an amazing high school baseball player. He was two years older than me and no one wanted to stand in that box. I am also very good friends with one of his first cousins. I am very happy to see him in a Reds' uniform.
    Oh, cool! I probably played against you in high school. I went to Sycamore and graduated in '05.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Yes, he is a local kid. He attended Archbishop Moeller High School, the same high school, Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr., David Bell and I did.
    Not to mention Buddy Bell, Mike Bell, Adam Hyzdu, and Lenny Matuszek!!!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?