Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why does no one enjoy Votto?

Why does no one enjoy Votto?

I've noticed when reading this message board that everyone is so caught up in how we're going to trade Votto, or what we're going to do to replace him that no one is really enjoying the best player we've had since Larkin. He has 2 years left on his contract, being a fan of Ohio State, you're usually happy if someone is good by then because they still have their junior and senior season left, yet here all that is talked about regarding Votto is what we can get for him, and how we're going to replace him instead of actually enjoying what a stud he is on the field. This won't be popular, I just get tired of having to read about a trade with him leaving every time Votto is mentioned, rather than reading about him being the catalyst during another playoff run this year, or a run at another MVP. Just my 2 cents, but it disgusts me to even think about Votto leaving, and I get tired of constantly reading about it every time hes mentioned.
    Last edited by mroby85; 02-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why does no one enjoy Votto?

There isn't a single poster on this board who doesn't love the hell out of Joey Votto. We all recognize what an incredible player he is and how he brings more raw talent to a Reds uniform than anyone since Lark in his glory days. Everyone here is looking forward to Votto leading us into the post-season in the near future.

That being said, reality is reality. And this is a message board during the off-season. We make conversation where we can, and it just so happens that Joey Votto's contract situation is a big issue going forward. There isn't much mileage in a discussion on what a great player he is; we're already all in agreement on that. No one is being negative, just realistic. Speculating on the future is kinda why most of us show up here.

Votto is like a player from the 1980's. Moody and uncomfortable. He is not the type that will bring fans to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Votto is like a player from the 1980's. Moody and uncomfortable. He is not the type that will bring fans to the park.
    well i disagree w/ this.

to answer your question I think the answer is possibly the reds fan base has been so accustomed to looking for the future that when the present finally comes they dont know how to handle it.

Couldn't possibly disagree with that more, I go to see them more now than I did ever before specifically because of Joey Votto, and that is seriously a great point Webbbj, I never even thought about that before, lol.

this has to be joke right?

how do you not like to see votto?

I think what Rage is getting at is the fact that Votto is a pretty qiuet guy. He's not very engaging to the public or the press. Some fans appreciate this while others, I would say the majority, want an outgoing personality like BP. Votto is so good that we all want to know everything about him, but he doesn't open up. I'm fine with that, but there are a lot of fans that want more.

Votto by himself does not bring people to the park, if he did we would have seen attendance rise dramatically this past season. The fact is we didn't see that rise. Why? Votto was coming off of an MVP year!! I think his personality just doesn't excite the majority of the fan base to the point of attending a great deal of games.

<seancaseyvoice>As long as he's driving balls in the gap and pickin it at first I couldn't care what his favorite color is.</seancaseyvoice>

I don't think I've every seen Joey act in a way I would constitute as "moody". He is clearly uncomfortable in the spotlight, but I would not describe him as moody.

I also think that his personality is precisely why the Reds have a chance at keeping him, because he doesn't want that New York / Boston / L.A. spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    There isn't a single poster on this board who doesn't love the hell out of Joey Votto. We all recognize what an incredible player he is and how he brings more raw talent to a Reds uniform than anyone since Lark in his glory days. Everyone here is looking forward to Votto leading us into the post-season in the near future.

That being said, reality is reality. And this is a message board during the off-season. We make conversation where we can, and it just so happens that Joey Votto's contract situation is a big issue going forward. There isn't much mileage in a discussion on what a great player he is; we're already all in agreement on that. No one is being negative, just realistic. Speculating on the future is kinda why most of us show up here.
    Nailed it.

There won't be a more accurate post in this thread. The possibility of trading Yonder Alonso was discussed here ad nauseun since he was drafted, that doesn't mean nonody liked the guy or didn't want to see him do well.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?