Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

    0 0%
  • RHP Jonathan Correa

    0 0%
  • 2B Brandon Dailey

    0 0%
  • LHP Matt Fairel

    0 0%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

    1 2.78%
  • RHP Drew Hayes

    4 11.11%
  • RHP Josh Judy

    11 30.56%
  • LHP Chris Manno

    2 5.56%
  • IF Juan Perez

    2 5.56%
  • UT Cody Puckett

    2 5.56%
  • RHP Dan Renken

    4 11.11%
  • LHP Tanner Robles

    0 0%
  • RHP Sal Romano

    4 11.11%
  • RHP Dan Tuttle

    2 5.56%
  • IF Chris Valaika

    3 8.33%
  • other (please list below)

    1 2.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

  1. #1
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,457

    Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    #1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias
    #28 RHP Josh Smith
    #29 2B Ryan Wright
    #30 RHP Drew Cisco
    #31 OF Kyle Waldrop
    #32 RHP Pedro Villarreal

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,610

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    I am going with Nick Christiani here. He had strong stats through AA. His AAA numbers left a little to be desired though. He has MLB quality stuff and for the most part of his career, showed off strong control. When he got to AAA that control faded away some. I think he can rebound from that.

  4. #3
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going with Nick Christiani here. He had strong stats through AA. His AAA numbers left a little to be desired though. He has MLB quality stuff and for the most part of his career, showed off strong control. When he got to AAA that control faded away some. I think he can rebound from that.
    D'oh! I didn't include him in this poll because no one voted for him. I'm glad he's finally starting to get some support, though.

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,610

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    D'oh! I didn't include him in this poll because no one voted for him. I'm glad he's finally starting to get some support, though.
    That is what the "other" vote is for though.

  6. #5
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Loveland, OH
    Posts
    3,048

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am going with Nick Christiani here. He had strong stats through AA. His AAA numbers left a little to be desired though. He has MLB quality stuff and for the most part of his career, showed off strong control. When he got to AAA that control faded away some. I think he can rebound from that.
    Doug, why Christiani over Judy here? Both are relievers at the same level and Judy put up much better K numbers. I understand that Christiani has exhibited better control, but Judy seems to have better stuff and he has had better success in the minors. What am I missing here?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,711

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    This appears to be a bullpen day; maybe a bullpen week. My reliever of choice is Drew Hayes, who last year did all that a closer can do. He seems to have the stuff (going by stats there), the athletic ability (great high school quarterback) and the bulldog mentality. For me, it's a close call between him and Chacin, another guy who wowed in 2011. That said, I can understand the backing for a guy like Judy who has done it longer, higher. Of course, if you consult the numbers, it's hard to beat Manno . . .

  8. #7
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That is what the "other" vote is for though.
    Oh, I thought it was just for trolling.

    But seriously, I try to set it up so that people feel the need to use that option as little as possible.

  9. #8
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,610

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Doug, why Christiani over Judy here? Both are relievers at the same level and Judy put up much better K numbers. I understand that Christiani has exhibited better control, but Judy seems to have better stuff and he has had better success in the minors. What am I missing here?
    I am not sure that Judy really does have better stuff to be honest. If he does, it is by the slimmest of margins IMO. Both guys have fastballs in the low 90's. Both guys have good sliders as their secondary pitches. Judy has missed more bats, Christiani has shown the better control. Judy is a fly ball pitcher, Christiani is a groundball pitcher. I will take my chances with Christiani given better control, very similar stuff and 50% more groundballs than Judy. But, the difference isn't really much.

  10. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,610

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    This appears to be a bullpen day; maybe a bullpen week. My reliever of choice is Drew Hayes, who last year did all that a closer can do. He seems to have the stuff (going by stats there), the athletic ability (great high school quarterback) and the bulldog mentality. For me, it's a close call between him and Chacin, another guy who wowed in 2011. That said, I can understand the backing for a guy like Judy who has done it longer, higher. Of course, if you consult the numbers, it's hard to beat Manno . . .
    To be honest, what does Drew Hayes being a good high school quarterback 6 years ago have anything at all to do with him as a professional baseball prospect? He is a pitcher, and while athleticism comes into play some, it isn't like he needs to be Drew Stubbs athletic.

  11. #10
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,457

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Anyone have any comments on Sal Romano's upside? I seem to like it more than other people do (projectable frame, good fastball, good curveball, improving changeup, good intangibles, etc.). Other than Ismael Guillon, I feel like he's the only one listed who might project to be something more than a utility player or middle reliever. As for players not listed, I'm wondering when people are going to jump on the Vaughn Covington bandwagon. I think he's someone who will surprise a lot of people next year.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,711

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    To be honest, what does Drew Hayes being a good high school quarterback 6 years ago have anything at all to do with him as a professional baseball prospect? He is a pitcher, and while athleticism comes into play some, it isn't like he needs to be Drew Stubbs athletic.
    Geez, Doug. He's a good athlete. It's a professional sport. Athleticism matters. It mattered for Greg Maddux. For Bob Gibson. It makes a difference even for Travis Wood. Plus, being a football star implies a level of toughness and competitiveness. I don't know exactly how much those things count, but I'd rather my pitchers had them than didn't.

    Also, part of this whole drill is to share as much information as possible about the various prospects.

  13. #12
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,610

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Geez, Doug. He's a good athlete. It's a professional sport. Athleticism matters. It mattered for Greg Maddux. For Bob Gibson. It makes a difference even for Travis Wood. Plus, being a football star implies a level of toughness and competitiveness. I don't know exactly how much those things count, but I'd rather my pitchers had them than didn't.

    Also, part of this whole drill is to share as much information as possible about the various prospects.
    Adam Dunn was an elite level football star. All we heard about was his laziness and nonchalant attitude.

    I imagine that nearly all of professional baseball players, if they chose to play another sport, would have been very good athletes within that sport. Being a high school quarterback that was good doesn't add much to the conversation here. Billy Hamilton was an SEC football recruit. Doesn't make him a better baseball player. Heck, Justin Reed was an SEC football recruit and he was never even considered a solid prospect. Scott Carroll actually played quarterback in college. Doesn't make him a better pitcher.
    Last edited by dougdirt; 02-13-2012 at 06:15 PM.

  14. #13
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,610

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Anyone have any comments on Sal Romano's upside? I seem to like it more than other people do (projectable frame, good fastball, good curveball, improving changeup, good intangibles, etc.). Other than Ismael Guillon, I feel like he's the only one listed who might project to be something more than a utility player or middle reliever. As for players not listed, I'm wondering when people are going to jump on the Vaughn Covington bandwagon. I think he's someone who will surprise a lot of people next year.
    Both guys lack of experience gets them further down my list, but I do really like the potential for both guys. But, I want to see something first as well, since they don't have that elite pedigree like a Stephenson does.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,711

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Adam Dunn was an elite level football star. All we heard about was his laziness and nonchalant attitude.

    I imagine that nearly all of professional baseball players, if they chose to play another sport, would have been very good athletes within that sport. Being a high school quarterback that was good doesn't add much to the conversation here. Billy Hamilton was an SEC football recruit. Doesn't make him a better baseball player. Heck, Justin Reed was an SEC football recruit and he was never even considered a solid prospect. Scott Carroll actually played quarterback in college. Doesn't make him a better pitcher.
    You don't think Dunn's hitting talent had a little bit to do with his athletic talent?

    No, Billy Hamilton's football resume doesn't make him a better baseball player. That's not the point. The point is that his football ability reflects his athletic ability. And with Billy Hamilton, athletic ability is the whole ball of wax.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,198

    Re: Who is Redszone's #33 prospect?

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    You don't think Dunn's hitting talent had a little bit to do with his athletic talent?

    No, Billy Hamilton's football resume doesn't make him a better baseball player. That's not the point. The point is that his football ability reflects his athletic ability. And with Billy Hamilton, athletic ability is the whole ball of wax.

    Adam Dunn was "Powerful"... I wouldn't consider him "athletic". Athletic would seem to require a blend of speed/strength/agility/stamina...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

    Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25