Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: honest thoughts on what the Reds should do with Drew Stubbs

honest thoughts on what the Reds should do with Drew Stubbs

Do you like the way they've handled Drew Stubbs so far and what would you like to see done going forward?

My thoughts is he's similar to ED and should be put in a lineup to drive in runs not leadoff.
    Last edited by icehole3; 02-13-2012 at 05:21 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: honest thoughts on what the Reds should do with Drew Stubbs

Leave him alone and bat him lower in the order.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

As soon as Stubbs has a good streak, all the fans will be saying "I told ya so". But my gut is to trade him as soon as he shows anything because I think it will be momentary. I think he's way overrated.

But I would bat him 7th.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Hit him 4th against LHP. If everyone else is healthy and no one needs a day off, sit him against RHP and use him late in the game for defense.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Make him compete with Heisey and Phipps in ST. Even if the job is his to lose, make him work for it, feel some heat.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Bat him 7th, give him 550 AB's and watch him slug 30 HR's and steal 50 bases.

yes, i just typed that.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Make him compete with Heisey and Phipps in ST. Even if the job is his to lose, make him work for it, feel some heat.
    I have no real problem letting Heisey start off the year as the starter in centerfield against right handed pitching if Heisey has a super hot spring and Stubbs is starting cold, but Stubbs is quite a bit better than Phipps and a hot spring from Phipps should not let him see any PT over Stubbs.

I am still very bullish on Stubbs. I believe he will be an above average CF in 2012 and that is more based upon his defensive abilities than his offensive abilities, although he has very good raw speed and power that should allow him to become an average offensive CF as well (granted the bar is low in this respect).

but Stubbs is quite a bit better than Phipps and a hot spring from Phipps should not let him see any PT over Stubbs.
    I agree. However, Stubbs should be made aware of the competition that surrounds him, even if it's a step behind for now.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Stubbs has a very high K rate. But Heisey's isn't much better.

Stubbs is a better centerfielder.

Stubbs is a better baserunner.

Stubbs gets on base at a higher rate.

So why are so many people so bullish on having Heisey start over Stubbs?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

He's scored 90 runs 2 years in a row at the top of the lineup. Keep him at leadoff or #2 as long as he continues to do that, but sit him against tough RHP.

I'm rather a fan of Stubbs overall - I wish he had more plate discipline, of course but he is what he is and given that I only wish Dusty would use him correctly and to me that would be batting somewhere between 6th to 8th in the order. He has enough bat to make him a very dangerous bottom of the order hitter, speed to burn to benefit when singles hitting Hanigan bats behind him, and to make Dusty's love of small ball and bunting a better percentage play when pitchers are up. Put him in the 7th spot, pencil him into centerfield and forget he's there.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Hit him 4th against LHP. If everyone else is healthy and no one needs a day off, sit him against RHP and use him late in the game for defense.
    That strategy (a fantasy/strat-o-matic strategy) gets him about 250 AB maybe, and that is the high end? If that is all you are going to do with him, trade him now because the Reds need more production than that from an OFer right now. They do not have that kind of depth. Further, from what I've seen these first two full years, he needs to sit out a deep slump, but platooning him would likely make his swing flaws only intensify. I don't think you would get equal production with fewer ABs like you would in fantasy or strat ball.

I like him getting about 500 ABs hitting 6th or 7th.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He's scored 90 runs 2 years in a row at the top of the lineup. Keep him at leadoff or #2 as long as he continues to do that, but sit him against tough RHP.
    I would say a good top of the order person would have scored more runs, all other things being equal. Stubbs is miscast at the top of the order, should be as infrequent as possible.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I'm not sure whay anyone wants Heisey over Stubbs when it should be Heisey over Ludwick.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I know you weren't saying he's as good or even close, but please don't even mention Stubbs in the same breath as Eric Davis. Unless the breath is "Man, I long for the days of Eric Davis because right now our starting CF is Drew Stubbs."

Personally, Stubbs has the chance to be a decent MLB player, but even that would surprise me at this point. Right now, he's a liability, especially the way Dusty uses him. If Stubbs would bat every day in the 7 or 8 hole, he could be an effective player for the Reds. Batting him high in the order is just such a bad idea on so many levels.

Stubbs is also overrated as a defensive CF -- Davis blows him away in that category too. (Although, Davis blows him away even more offensively.) Stubbs has elite speed -- might be the fastest player in MLB. But he's tentative near the wall, doesn't take good angles at times, etc.

I would love to eat crow and have Stubbs prove me wrong this year. Just don't see it though.

Turn Off Ads?