Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keith Law Top 20 Impact Prospects

Keith Law Top 20 Impact Prospects

Mesoraco #2 behind Moore (ahead of Montero)

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...prospects-2012

Alonso #15 and Grandal listed as "Others to know"

Has Law finally come around on the Reds?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keith Law Top 20 Impact Prospects

Mesoraco could be the difference in the pennant, wild card, or playing out the string.

If he goes 230/270/350 with poor defense and CS%, the Reds aren't going to win the Central. He has to hit better than he did his first cup of coffee or in his first couple seasons in Billings and Dayton.

If he hits like he has for a couple years now-- in AA and AAA-- the Reds replace Hernandez's bat with one at least as potent, perhaps more. As he matures, he could be a cleanup hitter, balancing out the lineup nicely.

Yeah, that's a pretty pivotal prospect.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Mesoraco could be the difference in the pennant, wild card, or playing out the string.

If he goes 230/270/350 with poor defense and CS%, the Reds aren't going to win the Central. He has to hit better than he did his first cup of coffee or in his first couple seasons in Billings and Dayton.

If he hits like he has for a couple years now-- in AA and AAA-- the Reds replace Hernandez's bat with one at least as potent, perhaps more. As he matures, he could be a cleanup hitter, balancing out the lineup nicely.

Yeah, that's a pretty pivotal prospect.
    Mostly agree. I don't think a poor seson by Mes ruins the team's playoff chances though. He could be the missing guy for the middle of the order which would solidify the team, but I don't think anyone is counting on it. If Latos, Cueto, Leake, Bailey and Arroyo all pitch up to their capabilities and Votto and Bruce rake, the team will be very strong. The bullpen should be very solid, if not spectacular and they really just need one more bat to emerge as a middle of the line-up force to be a team that could do some damage in the play-offs. That might be Mes, but I think Ludwick is the most likely guy to be the middle of the order guy the team has been missing. The role players just need to play their roles adequately. If Mes isn't ready, it just means a little more PT for Hanigan and guys like Miller and Navarro may be called on for defensive stability. It may not be the strength its been, but the season doesn't hinge on the catching position IMO.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Mostly agree. I don't think a poor seson by Mes ruins the team's playoff chances though. He could be the missing guy for the middle of the order which would solidify the team, but I don't think anyone is counting on it. If Latos, Cueto, Leake, Bailey and Arroyo all pitch up to their capabilities and Votto and Bruce rake, the team will be very strong. The bullpen should be very solid, if not spectacular and they really just need one more bat to emerge as a middle of the line-up force to be a team that could do some damage in the play-offs. That might be Mes, but I think Ludwick is the most likely guy to be the middle of the order guy the team has been missing. The role players just need to play their roles adequately. If Mes isn't ready, it just means a little more PT for Hanigan and guys like Miller and Navarro may be called on for defensive stability. It may not be the strength its been, but the season doesn't hinge on the catching position IMO.
    Agree with this. If Mez flounders, more playing time for Hanigan won't doom the Reds chances. I also disagree with those that see Mez as a future cleanup hitter. He may hit 25 HRs, but he seems like a #6 hitter (at least in a good lineup) to me. Still, as a catcher, nothing wrong with that
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Alonso #15 and Grandal listed as "Others to know"

Has Law finally come around on the Reds?
    He lists the Padres as the most leaded organization. That's because they have half the Reds prospects from past years.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    He lists the Padres as the most leaded organization. That's because they have half the Reds prospects from past years.
    not just prospects. remember all the jokes that the Nationals were Reds-East? The Padres are Reds-West. Mosely, Volquez, Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger, Denorfia. Harang last year.

That's a lot of ex-reds on one team.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?