Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Marathoners or Mini-Marathoners?

Re: Any Marathoners or Mini-Marathoners?

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I've been wearing the Asics 2100 series for 3 or 4 shoe cycles. Usually get about 400-450 miles out of them. Any more and my hips and ankles start barking. The last pair I only got about 250 out of. I think I got them confused with an old pair I used for kid's baseball practice and mowing and such. From now on, when wearing the same model, I'll change colors.

Dont wear your running shoes for anything else but running, except for the first day or two. Every step breaks them down a little.
    You ever read Born to Run? I would recommend it to anyone who runs and its a fascinating story for anyone who doesn't run.

I am not a huge believer in shoes anymore. I used to stick primarily to the Asics Gel Nimbus which went about $120 a pop. I replaced them about once a year. After reading Born to Run I decided to let them go a little longer and see if my performance declined or my body hurt more. Nothing happened so I started to buy the cheaper, less cushioned shoes, still around $80/shoe but they are much lighter than what I used to run in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You ever read Born to Run? I would recommend it to anyone who runs and its a fascinating story for anyone who doesn't run.

I am not a huge believer in shoes anymore. I used to stick primarily to the Asics Gel Nimbus which went about $120 a pop. I replaced them about once a year. After reading Born to Run I decided to let them go a little longer and see if my performance declined or my body hurt more. Nothing happened so I started to buy the cheaper, less cushioned shoes, still around $80/shoe but they are much lighter than what I used to run in.
    I will second that recommendation. It was a very interesting read. I always wore my running shoes to death. Toes sticking out the side?
    Sole pulling away from the rest of the shoe? No problem. I would just wrap a little duct tape around those shoes and keep on trucking. Asics is also the only running shoe I will buy. Started out in the late 60s wearing Pumas and then switched to Asics in the late 70s. There is some connection between Pumas and Asics but not sure exactly what it is.

As far as marathon or mini-marathon advice. Don't get caught up in the excitement and start out too fast. You will pay later on down the line. Besides it makes for a much more enjoyable experience if you are the one passing runners at the end instead of being the one struggling to make it to the finish line.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-15-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Yes, I am running Indy.

I have been doing mainly treadmill training with an outside run mixed in once a week, is that ok? I have been changing speeds, running 1.5 miles at 6.3 mph, then 1.5 at 7.0 mph then .5 miles at 7.5 mph then .5 miles at 8.0 sometimes mixing it up running at 8.5 or 9-9.5 for a distance. I thought that would help with my conditioning.
    You're better than I am. I loathe treadmills. Circumstances usually force me to use a treadmill a couple of times of year, and I can honestly say there are few things in life I enjoy less. I just dress accordingly and brave the elements for an outside run. Admittedly, that's a lot easier for me to do this time of year than it is for you.

Mixing up the speed is always good. Though the Indy course is flat, you might want to think about changing the elevation on the treadmill periodically as well. Work some slightly different muscles that way.

And I disagree with the earlier post about taking off the day after your long run. I prefer the alternative of maybe going on a slightly shorter long run, then running the next day as well. It dets your body used to running when it's tired (which is what it will be like at the end of the mini), but because you've had a little rest, it's not the gruel of the last mile or two that a longer run would be the day before. Think of it as an alternative way to condition your body to run better when it's not at 100%.

Go into the day-after run with the understanding that you're not going to have a super speedy run. Your legs are going to feel heavy, and it's going to take you longer to get up to your normal pace, if you can even do that. For me, it certainly helps the recovery to get out and loosen up the legs for 4-5 miles.

And it's also a great excuse to get out of house/yard projects for an hour or so on a Sunday.

I ran 5+ miles yesterday and will shoot to run 6 on my next "long" run, I have not ran 5 miles at once since 8th grade cross country. I am feeling pretty good about myself.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

THe biggest obstacle to finishing a mini is the mental part. Once you do one, you can do them all. I ran my first mini in Tampa in 1:35.

I then ran Nashville's and Chicago's mini and I took them more for granted running in about 1:45 for each of those fairly well.

Turn Off Ads?