Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Soler to the Cubs?

Soler to the Cubs?

Damn. I really, really wanted this guy (although I understand why the Reds weren't willing to shell out $27MM).

Between shedding a lot of the expensive veteran waste, and signing young players with high upside like Soler and Concepcion, I really, really like what Theo is doing in Chicago and that makes me really, really angry!
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Soler to the Cubs

Is this confirmed? Last I heard, the Cubs were the favorites to land Soler, but then, the Marlins were the favorites to land Cespedes for a while, too.

Either way, I agree with you about Theo. He's got a great history of working the draft and developing young talent (as mentioned here). In a few years, the Cubs could be very dangerous, which makes me all the more pleased that the Reds seem to be going for it now.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I don't see this confirmed anywhere yet. They are listed as the favorites though. Any link Beni?

Soler shoud energize the Cubs, especially their day games.

Sorry, I tried, but I couldn't resist.

Not "confirmed" per se as he's not even officially a FA yet, but according to HBT and the Chicago papers it appears to be a done deal:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...with-the-cubs/
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    Soler shoud energize the Cubs, especially their day games.

Sorry, I tried, but I couldn't resist.
    The Iranians are after Soler and his brother Nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The Iranians are after Soler and his brother Nuclear.
    Wanka Wanka

The latest update is that there are several teams in on Soler. The link mentions the Yankees and Marlins as possible suitors, both of which would be nicer than the Cubs by virtue of keeping him out of the NL Central. I almost wonder if the As aren't taking a look at him as well: Given their pursuit of Chapman two years ago and their signing of Cespedes this year, it almost seems like "Cuban defectors" is the new market inefficiency for Billy Beane to exploit.

Maybe there should be a ? added to the end of this thread title
    Go BLUE!!!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyMinded View Post
    The latest update is that there are several teams in on Soler. The link mentions the Yankees and Marlins as possible suitors, both of which would be nicer than the Cubs by virtue of keeping him out of the NL Central. I almost wonder if the As aren't taking a look at him as well: Given their pursuit of Chapman two years ago and their signing of Cespedes this year, it almost seems like "Cuban defectors" is the new market inefficiency for Billy Beane to exploit.
    I keep waiting to hear there is a "mystery team" involved.

Re: Soler to the Cubs?

The latest news seems to be that the Phillies are in on Soler.

It would be interesting to see the Phillies shell out something akin to 3 years, 27 million for Soler when they couldn't find the money to re-sign Oswalt. Then again, they have one of the oldest offenses in baseball, so they might view a 19-year old outfielder as a better investment. Either way, I wonder what the acquisition of Soler would mean for Dominic Brown-- it seems a bit early to give up on him, despite his struggles in the majors so far.
    Last edited by LegallyMinded; 02-15-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Re: Soler to the Cubs?

Here's a story on the Blue Jays looking at Soler, among other Cuban players, at their facility in the D.R.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?