Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pick your baseball boyfriend!

Pick your baseball boyfriend!

Not sure if anyone has been following the coverage of this controversial new "Baseball Boyfriend" fantasy game.

Here's an article on the woman who created it.

And here's an excerpt for those who'd just like to read about it here first:

"Baseball Boyfriend" is a new app that enables members of CBS Sports' fantasy baseball league to "have a Baseball Boyfriend off to the side" for a mere $2.99. Sexist? Not according to the woman who dreamed this whole thing up.

The Internet has been freaking out about the app, which recently launched on CBS Sports as part of a new initiative that allows developers, pending a review process, to peddle their own apps to the site's registered fantasy sports players. (A CBS Sports spokesperson declined to comment, but acknowledged that "Baseball Boyfriend" was successfully reviewed.) The San Francisco Chronicle's Henry Schulman called the app "A fantasy baseball game for girls who happen to live in the 1950s," and NBC Sports' Craig Calcaterra wrote that "the disparity between male and female fans is not because baseball is too hard for 'girls' to understand or two manly for them to enjoy... Women do not need to be treated like love-struck teenagers to be drawn in."

Agreed! But things got a little more confusing when I contacted the developer and found out that the creator of the site is a woman: 38-year-old Missy Wedig, a longtime baseball fan and a member of multiple fantasy sports leagues. "The game isn't meant to replace fantasy sports at all," Wedig told me. "In fact, you can't even play it unless you're already in a fantasy league." The app is based on a game she's jokingly played with female friends for years, Wedig said. They used pen and paper to rank their "BBBFs" until her husband, an Internet entrepreneur, created a website and developed an algorithm to support their rules. It's unfair that bloggers have "dumbed down" her site without bothering to contact her to find out her story, Wedig said, especially because "in order to win the game you actually need to know a lot about the players." Still, she finds the criticism intriguing: "Sexism definitely does exist, so, while I'm sad my idea prompted the discussion, I'm glad the conversation is happening."
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Pick your baseball boyfriend!

I was one of the first to purchase it.

Turn Off Ads?