Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training Roster

-The Insider-

Spring Training Roster

Here it is:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training Roster

Interesting that Corcino is coming to big league ST but Sulbaran is not. Also no Stephenson, who despite still being quite green, I thought they might provide with a "fantasy glimpse" for a week or two.
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-15-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Note that Lutz is listed as an OF.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Note that Lutz is listed as an OF.
    That caught my eye too. As did Francisco as just INF, but Frazier as INF/OF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

i thought Willie Harris was an outfielder...am i thinking about the wrong guy? also it'll be interesting to see who gets the final couple of roster spots with Harris, Valdez, Janish, Frazier, Francisco, etc..

I wonder how the Reds have managed to hold on to Corky all this time...with the glut of no hit and sometimes no glove catchers throughout the Majors I'm surprised he doesn't find him a spot on a major league roster somewhere.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i thought Willie Harris was an outfielder...am i thinking about the wrong guy? also it'll be interesting to see who gets the final couple of roster spots with Harris, Valdez, Janish, Frazier, Francisco, etc..

I wonder how the Reds have managed to hold on to Corky all this time...with the glut of no hit and sometimes no glove catchers throughout the Majors I'm surprised he doesn't find him a spot on a major league roster somewhere.
    Harris plays everywhere.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Isn't Corky Miller supposed to be in the movie "Boogie Nights II"?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

From the looks of it 5 true OF will not make the team. Only 4 and a swing guy like Frazier. Does Frazier hold his own in the OF? 2 Starts and 2 other games out there last year and I don't remember any of them in particular.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    From the looks of it 5 true OF will not make the team. Only 4 and a swing guy like Frazier. Does Frazier hold his own in the OF? 2 Starts and 2 other games out there last year and I don't remember any of them in particular.
    I doubt Frazier makes it either now. Position players IMO:

1. Hanigan
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Votto
    4. Phillips
    5. Cozart
    6. Rolen
    7. Cairo
    8. Francisco
    9. Valdez
    10, Bruce
    11. Heisey
    12, Ludwick
    13. Stubbs

Pitchers:

1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Arroyo
    4. Leake
    5. Bailey
    6. Madson
    7. Marshall
    8. Masset
    9. Bray
    10. Lecure
    11. Arredondo
    12. Francis
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'd be very surprised if they kept both LeCure AND Francis. I think unless there's an injury, Francis is heading for AAA.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd be very surprised if they kept both LeCure AND Francis. I think unless there's an injury, Francis is heading for AAA.
    If that happens, Francis will opt out and they won't have him. Lecure needs to move into shorter stints with Francis the long man. They are both better than Ondrusek. Francis is the best alternative to the top 5 in the rotation and Lecure is a better 2 inning reliever than Ondrusek is (better in any role really).

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Francis MIGHT opt out. If it was a sure thing he could get a big league job, I think he would've had one by now. Personally, I like LeCure where he is. I like him as the 6th starter option right now if it means cutting Ondrusek.

I think if everyone remains healthy for ST then there's a good chance Francis accepts a AAA assignment. Because he'd know he'll be the first guy called up and he'd be getting regular work in AAA to stay sharp. As a long man in the pen, not so much.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Francis MIGHT opt out. If it was a sure thing he could get a big league job, I think he would've had one by now. Personally, I like LeCure where he is. I like him as the 6th starter option right now if it means cutting Ondrusek.

I think if everyone remains healthy for ST then there's a good chance Francis accepts a AAA assignment. Because he'd know he'll be the first guy called up and he'd be getting regular work in AAA to stay sharp. As a long man in the pen, not so much.
    Why all the Ondrusek love? He's a 12th man on the staff type at best. He has options and the Reds won't lose him. Guys like Judy, Brackman, Christiani and others may be just as good if not better. Heck, I still like Fisher better and I think he's a case of the yips waiting to happen. Fact is, Ondruseks are a dime a dozen. If one of the Reds top 5 starters goes on the DL, there will be a drop-off to Francis. The drop from him to any of the others is cavernous. I'd say Francis would be a 5.25 ERA or so guy. Those other guys will be lucky to be below 6.50 and that includes Chapman. The Reds simply can't take teh risk that the team will be handing starts to Scott Carroll and Chad Reineke.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why all the Ondrusek love? He's a 12th man on the staff type at best. He has options and the Reds won't lose him. Guys like Judy, Brackman, Christiani and others may be just as good if not better. Heck, I still like Fisher better and I think he's a case of the yips waiting to happen. Fact is, Ondruseks are a dime a dozen. If one of the Reds top 5 starters goes on the DL, there will be a drop-off to Francis. The drop from him to any of the others is cavernous. I'd say Francis would be a 5.25 ERA or so guy. Those other guys will be lucky to be below 6.50 and that includes Chapman. The Reds simply can't take teh risk that the team will be handing starts to Scott Carroll and Chad Reineke.
    Mainly because I think he's much better than the guys you listed. He was flat out excellent the first half last year. But heavily overworked and it took it's toll in the last 2 months. And I see him as being a much more useful pitcher than Francis if the staff is healthy. That's why.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-18-2012 at 03:41 PM.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Mainly because I think he's much better than the guys you listed. He was flat out excellent the first half last year. But heavily overworked and it took it's toll in the second half. And I see him as being a much more useful pitcher than Francis if the staff is healthy. That's why.
    His K's are poor for a reliever. Walks are worse. He's been a BABIP guy who will be easily the worst guy on the staff if that normalizes. I'm not as tied to BABIP as many, but unless a guy has a long history of low BABIPs, I think there is something to it. A 40 point increase in BABIP and 5.00 ERA here we come. If he could do that going 6 innings at a time, I'd say he's needed. But doing that for 3 or 4 hitters isn't something that can't be found lying around the minor league system. Fact is, there are a lot of guys who can do what Ondrusek is likely to do. Francis isn't an ace, but if a starter is needed, I don't see anyone within a run and a half per 9 innings among the other alternatives.

On top of all that, no one is saying to cut Ondrusek. He can be optioned and would still be available if needed. Madson, Masset, Arredondo and Lecure are all better options for RH relief. I wouldn't risk losing the only reasonable option for rotation depth to keep such a pedestrian arm to pitch mop-up innings.

Turn Off Ads?