Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #34 prospect?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Nick Christiani

8 21.62%
  • RHP Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • RHP Vaughn Covington

1 2.70%
  • LHP Matt Fairel

1 2.70%
  • RHP Stalin Gerson

0 0%
  • LHP Ismael Guillon

0 0%
  • RHP Drew Hayes

5 13.51%
  • LHP Chris Manno

3 8.11%
  • IF Juan Perez

5 13.51%
  • UT Cody Puckett

1 2.70%
  • RHP Dan Renken

1 2.70%
  • RHP Sal Romano

2 5.41%
  • RHP Dan Tuttle

4 10.81%
  • IF Chris Valaika

5 13.51%
  • 2B Ty Washington

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

1 2.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #34 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #34 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias
    #28 RHP Josh Smith
    #29 2B Ryan Wright
    #30 RHP Drew Cisco
    #31 OF Kyle Waldrop
    #32 RHP Pedro Villarreal
    #33 RHP Josh Judy

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Who is Redszone's #34 prospect?

I would vote for Correa here if I knew his status better, but I honestly don't even know if he is even allowed to play this season or not. So I am still going with Christiani here. I trust that his control will come back to its normal levels. He has quality stuff as well, pretty much in line with the guy who won the last poll, Josh Judy.

Do you know how old Correa really is?

Again:

Might need to start giving Alejandro Chacin a look... 34/7 k/bb in 22 IP in the AZL as a 17/18 year old.

Erik Miller also bears mentioning... Pretty extreme groundball pitcher from the looks of it. 26/1 k:bb ratio in 31.1 IP @ Billings
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Went "Other". Chacin
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Again:

Might need to start giving Alejandro Chacin a look... 34/7 k/bb in 22 IP in the AZL as a 17/18 year old.

Erik Miller also bears mentioning... Pretty extreme groundball pitcher from the looks of it. 26/1 k:bb ratio in 31.1 IP @ Billings
    Chacin has a very average fastball right now and is going to be limited to being a reliever. Good change up though. His stuff just doesn't compare with some others on the list still, especially when we also toss in results and readiness.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Just out of curiousity...how far are we going with this poll? 40? 50? 250?

As far as I'm concerned, once you get past 20...it's a coin flip at that point. Heck, maybe after 10 even.
    I still like the thread though, so don't misunderstand. I like that it brings up guys I know little about and fills us in on them. But trying to determine between the 34th and 35th best prospect is pretty much impossible IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Just out of curiousity...how far are we going with this poll? 40? 50? 250?

As far as I'm concerned, once you get past 20...it's a coin flip at that point. Heck, maybe after 10 even.
    I still like the thread though, so don't misunderstand. I like that it brings up guys I know little about and fills us in on them. But trying to determine between the 34th and 35th best prospect is pretty much impossible IMO.
    It is fairly impossible to accurately distinguish #33 from #36--or, for that matter, maybe even number #17 from #39. That's almost by definition. But I still believe there's purpose and value to going deep with this thing. For one, it brings players to the general attention. And two, it provides a frame of reference for following these guys through the season.

Personally, I just like to see guys hit the list. When it's winding down each year, I always find myself wishing that so-and-so and so-and-so would win a spot. Just for the acknowledgment and recognition. This year, we'll probably be leaving out the likes of Brandon Dailey, Mitch Clarke, Alejandro Chacin, Dayne Read, Mace Thurman, Jacob Johnson, Luis Gonzalez, Eliezer Beard, Chris Manno, James Allen, Clayton Tanner and Dominic D'Anna. I, for one, would enjoy voting for some of those guys.
    Last edited by mace; 02-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.

It is fairly impossible to accurately distinguish #33 from #36--or, for that matter, maybe even number #17 from #39. That's almost by definition. But I still believe there's purpose and value to going deep with this thing. For one, it brings players to the general attention. And two, it provides a frame of reference for following these guys through the season.

Personally, I just like to see guys hit the list. When it's winding down each year, I always find myself wishing that so-and-so and so-and-and-so would win a spot. Just for the acknowledgment and recognition. This year, we'll probably be leaving out the likes of Brandon Dailey, Mitch Clarke, Alejandro Chacin, Dayne Read, Mace Thurman, Jacob Johnson, Luis Gonzalez, Eliezer Beard, Chris Manno, James Allen, Clayton Tanner and Dominic D'Anna. I, for one, would enjoy voting for some of those guys.
    Well put. Plus, you know there will be a couple of these guys who will vault in the rankings next year, possibly pretty high. Still some ceiling out there with pitchers -- Romano, Covington, Guillon.

Well, like I said, I DO still like the fact that we get more detailed discussion about some of the lesser known prospects. I just find it odd that we still rank them at this point. Maybe if we separated this into something like the top starting pitching prospects (1-10), top ss prospects (1-10). Then we could debate the tools of the trade and it would be more useful than rating a single-A catcher to a AA reliever. Just my 2 cents.

What is the word on two young pitchers out of Billings - El' Hajj Muhammad and Radhames Quezada? Both are young, 19 and 20 respectively and put up good numbers in a hitter's league. Quezada's K/BB 10.0/2.2. Muhammad's K/BB 9.2/3.7. Muhammad was a sixth-round draft choice, so presumably he has good stuff. Quezada made Pioneer League honorable mention in 2011.

EDIT: Found a scouting report on Quezada. It has his fastball at 75-80. Suggested Role: Strictly BP. There can't be two Radhames Quezadas can there?
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-17-2012 at 02:43 PM.

As other people said, assigning a ranking to prospects at this juncture is almost pointless. It's all about the discussion at this point. As a result, we won't do any runoff votes unless it's a dead tie. And even if that were to happen, I might just change my vote so we can move on quicker. This is just a little exercise to last us until Opening Day.

And for those wondering how far we're going, the goal is 50. If we cut a couple polls down from three days to two, it should be no problem to have it all wrapped up by Opening Day.

Sounds good cam.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What is the word on two young pitchers out of Billings - El' Hajj Muhammad and Radhames Quezada? Both are young, 19 and 20 respectively and put up good numbers in a hitter's league. Quezada's K/BB 10.0/2.2. Muhammad's K/BB 9.2/3.7. Muhammad was a sixth-round draft choice, so presumably he has good stuff. Quezada made Pioneer League honorable mention in 2011.

EDIT: Found a scouting report on Quezada. It has his fastball at 75-80. Suggested Role: Strictly BP. There can't be two Radhames Quezadas can there?
    That report is incredibly incorrect. Quezada throws in the low 90's and can touch higher.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That report is incredibly incorrect. Quezada throws in the low 90's and can touch higher.
    I didn't think it was correct. But it was the only scouting report I ran across.

Turn Off Ads?