Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Pirates... will 2012 see them surprise?

Pittsburgh Pirates... will 2012 see them surprise?

Last year, the Pirates got off to a hot start. They hung around 1st place for the first half, but eventually faded. Is it possible they built on 2011?

Getting Erik Bedard to anchor the rotation is a gamble, but it's a low risk/high reward gamble. He's only being paid 4.5 mil and is just on a 1 year deal. If he's pitching well and the Pirates are out of it, he might be the most sought after target at the trade deadline. He's got every incentive to pitch well, and frankly when healthy, he's very, very good.

Now it looks like they are about the acquire AJ Burnett. Burnett can still get an out with a K, 173 last year in 190 IP. His ERA will likely drop by a full run going to the NL Central (Might have dropped more had he gone to a bit better team in the NL Central) He could get 200K's this season and give the Pirates a pretty decent 1-2 punch. Once an injury problem, he's been durable since 2008 averaging 33 starts a season.

Maholm is gone but replaced with two better pitchers.

I like a lot of the position players for Pittsburgh, but none more than Andrew McCutchen. He can flat out play. The Pirates are short on power, long on speed. They will play a lot of smallball and try to get teams to beat themselves.

A weakness without a doubt was the bullpen. I liked Veras... gone. Grilli was babied a bit last year, but it was a good year. Meek is awful, Resop... a very up and down career, but he threw a lot of pitches last year. Maybe that isn't a problem for relievers. Hanrahan was outstanding.

But the biggest problem is the offense. Some potential at 3B and CF is rock solid. Everywhere else is kinda meh, but there is enough if the pitching is strong to make some noise again in 2012. I don't think they can contend, but I do think they can make life miserable for the teams that can contend.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pittsburgh Pirates... will 2012 see them surprise?

No.

The Central will be competitive and I don't see them better than the Reds, Cards, or Brewers. With an unbalanced schedule they are playing some 45-50 games against those teams.

Also ask yourself, are they better than the:
    Braves, Phillies, Marlins, Nationals, Giants, Rockies, Dodgers, and DBacks?

I don't think they are better than the Reds. I didn't think they were last year either, but they sure pounded the Reds. I'm not impressed with the Dodgers or Rockies, and the Phillies look pretty bad offensively.

They can be a very troublesome team in 2012, and unlike say, the Astros, I don't think thay should be overlooked.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I like the Pirates, but I liked them last year too. So I think they'll improve, but still be middle of the pack.

Btw, I love the article ESPN posted today. Here's what they said about the Astro's spring training.

HOUSTON: Interestingly, this year's reporting date coincides with the same day the Astros will be eliminated from the NL Central race.

I have the NL Central as a two team race - Reds and Pirates. And I'm serious.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

As long as the Pirates aren't giving up much for AJ, I think it's a pretty good more on their part. He's moving from the AL East to the NL Central, which alone will improve his numbers, plus he's moving from Yankee Stadium to PNC Park, which is a very good pitchers park. Could be a great low risk move for them that pays off.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I have it a 3 team race...for 2nd. Reds run away and hide, Brewers/Cards/Buccos battle it out. I think the Astros will surprise some people and win more than 10 games.

Another year under .500

Are they putting LSD in your Skyline Chilli?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think the Astros will surprise some people and win more than 10 games.
    When they win their 10th, they'll throw a huge celebration.....then trade Wandy.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I say this thread should be started on the same date every year, because its bound to happen at some point.

Probably not this year, though.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Don't underestimate the Burnett trade. He's put up decent peripherals the last few years in the AL East, and his biggest problem has been handling the pressure of NY. He could be a solid #2 15 game winner for the Pirates. The rest of the rotation is solid, but not great. Besides the bullpen, the easier part to fix mid season, they really don't have any holes. On offense, besides McCutchen, nothing great either, but no one that hurts them.

I always am worried about teams with this much young, hungry talent, they have a tendency to surprise. And I've always like Hurdle, especially with a young team.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

The Burnett deal hasn't gone down officially yet has it? I thought it was still "in the works".

*dashes off to check*

~edit~ My bad. They have agreed to the deal. Just pending physical it looks like. Doesn't look to be any word on the prospects heading NY's way though.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 02-17-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I say this thread should be started on the same date every year, because its bound to happen at some point.

Probably not this year, though.
    It is why I keep buying my lottery tickets. I am bound to hit one of these days.

However I do like my chances of hitting the lottery more than the Pirates chances of being a serious contender.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Don't underestimate the Burnett trade. He's put up decent peripherals the last few years in the AL East, and his biggest problem has been handling the pressure of NY. He could be a solid #2 15 game winner for the Pirates. The rest of the rotation is solid, but not great. Besides the bullpen, the easier part to fix mid season, they really don't have any holes. On offense, besides McCutchen, nothing great either, but no one that hurts them.

I always am worried about teams with this much young, hungry talent, they have a tendency to surprise. And I've always like Hurdle, especially with a young team.
    Burnett + Bedard has a good chance of winning 30 games. I'm not sure what the rest of the rotation can do, but that is a solid 1-2 punch if Bedard can stay healthy.

Turn Off Ads?