Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 71 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Nothing really good coming out for a few weeks, but there's word coming out that "John Carter" could be the biggest bomb in quite some time:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/john...f-of-all-time/
    Another writes me, ”It just came out. Women of all ages have flat out rejected the film. The tracking for John Carter is shocking for a film that cost over $250 million. This could be the biggest writeoff of all time.” I’m hearing figures in the neighborhood of $100 million. And the studio isn’t even trying to spin reports of the 3D pic’s bloated budget any more
    "A Princess of Mars" was one of my favorite books when I was in middle school -- I've been looking forward to this movie since it was announced. The trailers and marketing have looked awful, though. I'd have thought it'd be a better effort since Andrew Stanton (WALL-E, Finding Nemo) was directing.

Oh well.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

I went and saw Star Wars in 3D yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars series and have only seen all of them within the past couple of years. The movie was enjoyable, however I don't think the 3D added anything to the experience. I thought the pod racing sequence would have been great in 3D but it didn't seem to be any better than it was in 2D. Same for the light saber fight at the end. Now, I understand the movie wasn't originally meant for 3D but if they couldn't make it any better than that it just seemed like a big money grab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The movie was enjoyable, however I don't think the 3D added anything to the experience.
    It's just adding more money to the Lucas franchise. Honestly, after Return of the Jedi, was there really a good Star Wars movie?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's just adding more money to the Lucas franchise. Honestly, after Return of the Jedi, was there really a good Star Wars movie?
    Speaking as a huge Star Wars nerd, the answer is no.

Revenge of the Sith was OK and had some very good moments, but only because it followed two genuinely terrible movies and seemed better by comparison.

Saw Chronichle this week, loved the premise and length, hated the shaky camera nonsense.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I would be very happy if the entire "found footage" genre disappeared.

part of BBN

I took my wife to see "This Means War" last weekend. Sort of surprising to me, but this was a very entertaining movie. An excellent romantic comedy with enough action to please a guy. Take that as a tip for taking your sweetheart out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I went and saw Star Wars in 3D yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars series and have only seen all of them within the past couple of years. The movie was enjoyable, however I don't think the 3D added anything to the experience. I thought the pod racing sequence would have been great in 3D but it didn't seem to be any better than it was in 2D. Same for the light saber fight at the end. Now, I understand the movie wasn't originally meant for 3D but if they couldn't make it any better than that it just seemed like a big money grab.
    Welcome to one of the laments of all Star Wars fans, George Lucas and his cash grabs.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

At this point people just seem to enjoy complaining about Lucas - how can you possibly be surprised by his tinkering with Star Wars any more?

Some people just need to let go of their childhood.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Welcome to one of the laments of all Star Wars fans, George Lucas and his cash grabs.
    I SO want to see the original, un-messed-with Star Wars A New Hope on the big screen again. I wish Lucas would just leave stuff alone.

They are HIS films, they don't 'belong to the fans', and he may do with them whatever he pleases.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    They are HIS films, they don't 'belong to the fans', and he may do with them whatever he pleases.
    Films are an art form. How would you feel if the owner of David decided to give him tattoos?

It's downright silly to make some pseudo-judicial claim that Lucas hasn't the right to alter his own work. Filmmaking is not a democracy.

I watched "E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial" on AMC last night. I can't remember the last time I saw it. Maybe when my kids were little.

What a great movie. Filled with innocence and good-natured fun and gentle child fears and very real characters. A little overwrought in the last 30 minutes (with John Williams orchestration gushing away), but what the hell. And its aged very well. For a 30 year old flick, it is remakably fresh and still modern and a children's classic that adults can watch. Quintessential Spielberg. And a very young Drew Barrymore almost steals the show as Gertie.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I would be very happy if the entire "found footage" genre disappeared.
    I'm with you on that one.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?