Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    To my surprise I really enjoyed this flick. One of my favorite movies was Die Hard and this movie takes a page out of that book. Most action movies today with any kind of budget seems to be made with the priority being to outsmart the last big action movie. A simple plot with good, believable action mixed in with some humor that's not overbearing, leading up to a big showdown seems too much to ask for these days from action movies but Dredd does a pretty good job of delivering just that.
    I just got finished watching this movie based on the suggestions here and I'm surprised that it didn't do better at the box office. I really liked this movie. It has everything you want from an action movie with good acting to boot. What I really liked about it is that it had a comic book feel as if I was reading a comic book. The gritty visuals were amazing and Urban is spot on with the character. I never thought than anyone could make Lena Headey ugly but they managed to do this in the movie. She's a very good villain.

I've also read that the movie did eventually profit 50 million in total and that they are going to make sequels to it (it's the rumor anyway).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    He was awesome and he was funding international terrorism.

EDIT: and he's also Hannibal Lecture now. Gives him 5 more points in the awesome quotient.
    Wasn't the guy in Quantum of Solace funding international terrorism too?

Just saw Star Trek into Darkness. Pretty good. Cumberbatch was outstanding. The story was either somewhat derivative or an homage to STII.

The unfortunate things about these franchise movies is that there is no real suspense to them. You know despite what happens to the main characters in the movie, they are not really in any mortal peril because there's going to be a sequel - or a sequel to the sequel. No matter how good the movie is - storywise or with the special effects - it loses some drama because you know the good guys are going to survive and win in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Just saw Star Trek into Darkness. Pretty good. Cumberbatch was outstanding. The story was either somewhat derivative or an homage to STII.

The unfortunate things about these franchise movies is that there is no real suspense to them. You know despite what happens to the main characters in the movie, they are not really in any mortal peril because there's going to be a sequel - or a sequel to the sequel. No matter how good the movie is - storywise or with the special effects - it loses some drama because you know the good guys are going to survive and win in the end.
    I liked it, I am not a fan of reimagining the series history IE Spock and Ohura being an item.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

I finally saw the first new Star Trek (in cable). The movie itself was fine, but I agree with the sentiments above. They should have made a completely new ship with a new crew. Using the old crew really limits you or makes fans of the old shows needlessly angry (my dad was furious about the major thing destroyed in the first one...no spoilers).

I hope they do the same thing with the new Star Wars. Forget the Skywalkers, forget Han. I really don't want to see either of them as decrepit old men. Instead, use the giant sandbox that Lucas created and start a new story. It will work.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

8. Likes:

Star Trek with a new ship and crew has been done, and done, and done (TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise). It's great to have a reboot with the core characters, and to immediately shake things up in a huge way. BTW - the reboot is from 2009, so the statute of limitations on spoilers has run out.

I really loved the ST: Into Darkness. Amazing movie. The stakes kept going up and up, and the plot kept growing and branching out until it was almost too thick. It was a great action movie with a good balance of characters and a perfect number of winks to the past.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

10. Likes:

wolfboy (06-06-2013)

Seven Psychopaths = genius
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

12. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Seven Psychopaths = genius
    Just watched in over the weekend...pretty damn good

Has anyone else seen Fast and Furious 6? It was a masterpiece.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Has anyone else seen Fast and Furious 6? It was a masterpiece.
    I have seen it twice, though only because the drive in was showing it as the first movie when we wanted to see the second one. It was a solid movie and certainly good enough for the 6th version of a series.... but a masterpiece it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have seen it twice, though only because the drive in was showing it as the first movie when we wanted to see the second one. It was a solid movie and certainly good enough for the 6th version of a series.... but a masterpiece it was not.
    Okay, maybe masterpiece was the wrong word. But, the dynamic if the audience in the theater was great. There were two groups. First, there were the guys who genuinely love the series and then there were the others who love the insanity/bad acting in the movie. I fell right in the middle (and adored both parts.)

The series totally understands both audiences and gives them everything they could possibly want. For the diehards, the action scenes were great. For the other crowd, it had the Rock (who is a cyborg) and Vin Diesel just chewing up screen time with some of the best one liners delivered in the most laughably bad fashion. It was just wonderful.

Just watched "Winchester '73", a very good 1950 Jimmy Stewert western. A taut screenplay that uses the title rifle as a vehicle moving from character to character. Good stuff. I'm surprised I've missed it till now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Star Trek: Into Darkness is fantastic, an absolute thrill ride with just the right dosage of humor.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Can't wait for This is the End

Well I'm watching OZ and this has to be the dumbest movies I've seen in a while. I would have been very upset if I had paid to see this
    Last edited by coachpipe; 06-09-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Turn Off Ads?