Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Saw Saving Mr. Banks tonight. Wonderful movie.
    You'd think Tom Hanks would have stopped trying to save people after Private Ryan.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I didn't care myself but I know others do. I told my brother before the movie started I bet these 2 old ladies leave during the movie and they did like 30 mins in. Its a really funny movie imo.
    I had an old couple walk out on Out of the Furnace. Were they in the wrong theater?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Russell wrote his roles specifically for Bale and Cooper, but at one point Bale wasn't going to be available for the movie, so Cooper was set to switch to his role and Renner was brought in for Cooper's role. When Bale became available they all reverted to their previous roles, with the Carmine Polito character added to the script to keep Renner around...
    That's interesting. I didn't think the Polito role was great for Renner, so that's not surprising that it was added later. I thought Cooper could have done the Polito role much better than he did the role he wound up playing. I actually thought he was pretty good the first half of the movie, but when the character evolved to be a little more eccentric in the second half, it was too much for his talents. At least that's how I saw it. I've not been all that enamored with Bale's performances over the past several years so I went in with low expectations. I thought he was really good in this movie.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I have watched several movies over the past coule weeks:

Last night watched "Saving Mr. Banks". This movie made "Lincoln" look like "Fast & the Furious". Unspeakably boring and Emma Thompson was so unlikeable that it sort of ruined the movie for me. I found the motivations for her character to be unbelievable.

Got to see a screening of "August: Osage County" the other day. I really enjoyed that one. It is very heavy, but is so well acted it makes up for some of short comings.

"Dallas Buyers Club" was excellent I thought. I'm not a big MM fan but I thought he nailed the role. Jared Leto was amazing and should absolutely win the supporting actor Oscar. It fizzled a bit at the end, but was still a great movie.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    I liked The Wolf of Wall Street a lot but before you see it be sure to be okay with a lot bad stuff. Lots of nudity and drug use.
    My reaction to the film:

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-31-2013)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Saw Walter Mitty today and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It was actually pretty good.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Anchorman 2 was completely ridiculous and I loved it.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I saw Nebraska Thursday, and it was an interesting family story, if a little too much of a downer. I did get one of my biggest laughs of the year at one point, though. Will Forte was shockingly competent, and Bruce Dern was incredible.

I'm on the fence about Alexander Payne. I thought Sideways was way overrated, and adored The Descendents.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I saw Nebraska Thursday, and it was an interesting family story, if a little too much of a downer. I did get one of my biggest laughs of the year at one point, though. Will Forte was shockingly competent, and Bruce Dern was incredible.

I'm on the fence about Alexander Payne. I thought Sideways was way overrated, and adored The Descendents.
    I agree with everything you have typed except that I didn't find Nebraska to be "too much of a downer" but to be too slowly paced. Maybe they're the same thing, but I don't think so.

I agree on Sideways and The Descendants, and I also find Election to be strangely overratedly underrated, if that makes sense. I'm afraid to watch About Schmidt because I've heard Kathy Baker has a nude scene...

edit: but I do respect that he tries to bring every-day lives in the Midwest to life on the big screen

American Hustle was good, but is being overrated, IMO. It just felt like the sort of movie I've seen several times before...

I think my Best Picture nod (of what I've seen) would go to Dallas Buyers Club. Really great film, MM and Leto are both excellent.

12 Years a Slave also deserves an Oscar nod as well as Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor for Ejiofor and Fassbender. I would be okay with either of the two films/casts winning any combination of those awards.
    Last edited by WMR; 01-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree with everything you have typed except that I didn't find Nebraska to be "too much of a downer" but to be too slowly paced. Maybe they're the same thing, but I don't think so.
    I'm typically fine with slowly paced movies. To me it was profoundly sad to see how isolated Bruce Dern's character was from his immediate family, to the point where they would talk about him like he wasn't even there. It was obvious that, although there was surely some dementia there, he still understood what they thought about him.

Clarification: I really enjoyed the movie. But I don't see myself returning to it like I did The Descendents (several times).
    Last edited by WildcatFan; 01-04-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

This is my annual end-of-year movie list I always post over on my Facebook:

OUT OF THIS WORLD!
    Gravity (10/10)

YOU JUST COULDN"T QUITE GET THERE COULD YOU?
    Prisoners (9/10)

D'AWWW, THESE LITTLE INDIES WERE CUTE...
    Frances Ha (8/10)
    The Way Way Back (8/10)
    Dallas Buyers Club (8/10)
    Mud (8/10)

HEY! A COMPETENT ADULT-ORIENTED FILM MADE BY A MAJOR STUDIO!
    Side Effects (8/10)

HEY! A COMPETENT MAN-CHILD-ORIENTED FILM MADE BY A MAJOR STUDIO!
    Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (8/10)

I GOT THESE TWO TITLES CONFUSED AT LEAST 50 TIMES:
    This Is the End (7/10)
    The World's End (7/10)

THESE ANTI-HEROES ARE TUFF!
    The Place Beyond the Pines (7/10)
    The Iceman (7/10)

THESE HEROES ARE HOT!
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (7/10)
    American Hustle (7/10)

THESE PROSTITUTES ARE HOT!
    The Wolf of Wall Street (7/10)

THESE HEROES ARE NOT HOT! (LOL *TOM HANKS*)
    Captain Phillips (7/10)
    Saving Mr. Banks (7/10)

GOOD DOCUMENTARIES:
    A Band Called Death (7/10)
    Blackfish (7/10)

THE CHARACTERS JUST TALK ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS A LOT AND THAT'S OKAY!
    Before Midnight (7/10)
    Nebraska (7/10)

NOTHING SPECIAL IN THEIR RESPECTIVE GENRES BUT ABOVE-AVERAGE FLICKS:
    Don Jon (6/10)
    Star Trek: Into Darkness (6/10)
    Monsters University (6/10)
    The To Do List (6/10)
    Promised Land (6/10)

WHOA, LIKE, PASS THE DRUGS, MAN!
    Spring Breakers (5/10)
    Upstream Color (5/10)
    Pacific Rim (5/10)

NOTHING SPECIAL IN THEIR RESPECTIVE GENRES BUT BELOW-AVERAGE FLICKS:
    Out of the Furnace (5/10)
    Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (5/10)

SOMEWHAT UNIQUE FLICKS THAT JUST AREN'T *THAT* GOOD:
    The Kings of Summer (5/10)
    Drinking Buddies (5/10)
    Warm Bodies (5/10)

*CRINGES*
    The Great Gatsby (4/10)
    Gangster Squad (4/10)
    Ain't Them Bodies Saints (4/10)

SO THESE WERE THE WORST BUT I WOULD JUST LIKE TO COMMENT HERE THAT I THOUGHT 2013 WAS A PRETTY SOLID YEAR FOR MOVIES AND I WOULD LIKE TO PAT MYSELF ON THE BACK FOR HAVING AWESOME TASTE
    Only God Forgives (3/10)
    Prince Avalanche (3/10)
    Elysium (3/10)
    Trance (3/10)
    The Hangover Part III (3/10)

I WILL MAKE A STRONG EFFORT TO SEE THESE ON DVD:
    Inside Llewyn Davis
    The Act of Killing
    12 Years a Slave
    In a World...
    The Spectacular Now
    Fruitvale Station
    Blue Caprice
    Short Term 12
    The Counselor
    Blue Jasmine
    About Time
    Rush

MAYBE SOMEDAY I'LL WATCH ON TBS "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL FUNNY"...
    The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    Now You See Me

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (01-07-2014),WildcatFan (01-04-2014)

Those facebook friends of yours sure are some lucky people.

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-04-2014),Razor Shines (01-07-2014),WildcatFan (01-04-2014)

That is beautiful, BC.

I only saw nine of those on your list. What am I doing with myself? I hereby resolve to do much better next year.

Saw American Hustle last night. I thought all the performances were fantastic. I thought the movie overall was very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?