Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Finally saw "Bridesmaids." Pretty funny but a little more subdued than I was expecting, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I had no idea that "Roy" from "The IT Crowd" was in it - that was a pleasant surprise.

Also watched "50/50." I thought it was excellent. Poignant, funny, and well-acted. It got awfully dusty in the house during the pre-op scene because it brought back memories of my dad, who's no longer with us, staying by my side when I had cancer surgery.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Going back to the original post, I had a good time watching John Carter.
    Same here... Saw it yesterday in IMAX. Just a good old fashioned popcorn flick. The SFX were not eye-popping but seemed very natural-felt I was truly on Barsoom (Mars). The scenes on Earth both at the beginning and the end were well done and tied in nicely. There is also narration, sort of a prologue, for the viewers who might not have read the books, at the beginning. The 2+ hours flew by. It's a shame that the critics, media, fanboys, even Disney announced it DOA because I would definitely go to see a sequel. Planning to see it a few more times before it gets out of the theaters. I'll also give a report if 3D was really necessary or just a waste of money.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

La Dolce Vita

michael shannon is excellent in "take shelter".
    ditto for patton oswalt in "young adult".. charlize theron, too.

imo, 2 good indy movies.
    teach tolerance.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I also loved Young Adult, and I picked up Take Shelter last night to check out.

I saw Friends With Kids with the girlfriend a couple days ago, and it's good enough for a date movie, but unnecessarily crude.

Saw Safe House, and wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It's got the shaky camerawork, and I still don't buy Ryan Reynolds. I feel like I'm not getting a joke everyone else is laughing at. Denzel is fantastic as always, though.

Next up for me are Hunger Games and 21 Jump Street.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I have midnights to The Hunger Games on Thursday.

UC tips at 10:00 on Thursday.

#firstworldproblems
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Friends with Kids would have been much better with a different lead actress, but she wrote it so I guess she gets to be the star.

21 Jump Street was very funny.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I just finished Bringing Out the Dead. If anybody else has seen it and would like to share their thoughts, I'm all ears. Is it a black comedy? Was Martin Scorsese on acid?

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Friends with Kids would have been much better with a different lead actress, but she wrote it so I guess she gets to be the star..
    and jennifer westfeldt is jon hamm's love in life, so she's doin' okay..
    teach tolerance.

Watched "The Big Year" over the weekend. A modest yet humorous and affable "birding" movie with Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson.

I really liked the non-fiction book this is based on so I was looking forward to this movie. I wasn't disappointed. But I can see why it tanked at the box office. There just isn't much of a market for this kind of movie. No superheroes, big explosions, thundering soundtrack, large breasts, or snickering jokes. Its a group of birders set on a big year, a quest to outdo each other by finding the most species of birds in North America. Their competition is an allegory for the challenges faced in their lives.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Two recents:

- John Carter: Loved. It. Just a fantastic good old adventure yarn with some truly amazing effects. The look and feel of the movie is amazing, and the world it creates is one I'd love to see more of (...but we won't, due to the movie's box office status). The movie, more so than most sci-fi spectacles, goes out of it's way to make the characters feel like real people. There's one scene in particular, with Carter running head-long into a fight and clips of his past interspersed, that was just perfect.

This movie deserved a better fate.

B+ / A-

- The Hunger Games: Tremendously disappointing. I've read (and enjoyed) the book series, and the movie does a great job of bringing the scenes and the characters to life. The cast is just about perfect (especially Lenny Kravitz, of all people, as Cinna) and the two leads fit their roles well. The dystopian future "world" is also well realized and seems like it jumped off the pages.

The directing, though, is beyond terrible. The film feels like it was shot by a bunch of people running through the forest with their iPhones out. The shaky-cam "documentary" style is overused in just about every phase of the movie, and it gets so bad during the action sequences that you miss what's going on. I guess that's the point if you want to preserve a PG-13 rating in a movie where kids kill one another, but it makes the entire film difficult to sit through.

Additionally, the writers seemed hell-bent on removing every aspect of the Katniss character that made her an interesting and different heroine in the books.

D+ / C-
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-23-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Two recents:

- John Carter: Loved. It. Just a fantastic good old adventure yarn with some truly amazing effects. The look and feel of the movie is amazing, and the world it creates is one I'd love to see more of (...but we won't, due to the movie's box office status). The movie, more so than most sci-fi spectacles, goes out of it's way to make the characters feel like real people. There's one scene in particular, with Carter running head-long into a fight and clips of his past interspersed, that was just perfect.

This movie deserved a better fate.

B+ / A-

- The Hunger Games: Tremendously disappointing. I've read (and enjoyed) the book series, and the movie does a great job of bringing the scenes and the characters to life. The cast is just about perfect (especially Lenny Kravitz, of all people, as Cinna) and the two leads fit their roles well. The dystopian future "world" is also well realized and seems like it jumped off the pages.

The directing, though, is beyond terrible. The film feels like it was shot by a bunch of people running through the forest with their iPhones out. The shaky-cam "documentary" style is overused in just about every phase of the movie, and it gets so bad during the action sequences that you miss what's going on. I guess that's the point if you want to preserve a PG-13 rating in a movie where kids kill one another, but it makes the entire film difficult to sit through.

Additionally, the writers seemed hell-bent on removing every aspect of the Katniss character that made her an interesting and different heroine in the books.

D+ / C-
    Wow, really? Just saw it and thought it was very good. Originally I just read the book because I realized "Hey, my wife is an important part of my life and I should take an interest in stuff she likes.". But I really enjoyed the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow, really? Just saw it and thought it was very good. Originally I just read the book because I realized "Hey, my wife is an important part of my life and I should take an interest in stuff she likes.". But I really enjoyed the books.
    I liked the books too -- the books go out of their way to portray Katniss as this mostly cold-blooded survivor. Her feelings sometimes get a little muddled, but it's always clear that she believes she's playing a role during the games designed to win her sympathy and support. The movie glosses over that and the end result is a movie that feels like a tween romance.

The ending of the book, where Katniss comes clean with Peeta was a fantastic emotional punch -- and they completely cut that out of the movie for no discernible reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I liked the books too -- the books go out of their way to portray Katniss as this mostly cold-blooded survivor. Her feelings sometimes get a little muddled, but it's always clear that she believes she's playing a role during the games designed to win her sympathy and support. The movie glosses over that and the end result is a movie that feels like a tween romance.

The ending of the book, where Katniss comes clean with Peeta was a fantastic emotional punch -- and they completely cut that out of the movie for no discernible reason.
    I guess it was hard for me to separate myself from someone who read the books and someone who was just watching a movie, because i thought all those things were portrayed in the movie just somewhat subdued. It could be they left it a little ambiguous in the movie so that people could see what they wanted. If you knew the story perhaps you would see a stone cold survivor playing a part but still conflicted about her feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I went out yesterday and saw the Hunger Games. I thought it was an enjoyable flick, wanted to kick the person who decided to shoot the film like that because the first half hour or so was difficult to watch becasue of the camera action.

As for the movie itself it was well done. I have only read the first two books and thought they took too much from what you learn in the second novel and incorporate it in the movie. I don't remember President Snow really playing much of a role in the first novel nor do I remember Katnis being defiant. Overall I give it about a B+, but I am easy to please when it comes to movies.

Turn Off Ads?