Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Saw Lone Survivor last night. Knowing it was a true story made it hard to watch, but it was very good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Every new day is one day closer to The Winter Soldier.

I just watched "Ride the High Country" for the first time in years and years. Wonderful Sam Peckinpah western. I read that the film was originally intended to star John Wayne and Gary Cooper, but Cooper died before the movie was made. Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea were perfect.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (02-03-2014)

I watched "Labor Day" this weekend. I hated just about every minute of it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Picked up a new horror movie at redbox on my way home from the hospital yesterday before I got snowed/iced in for the night. It was called Fields of the Dead. There are some good and some bad. I actually thought it had a chance to be good until the last three minutes of the movie. It was shot well, it was scored very well and the acting, while not great, wasn't bad especially for a movie where there were a total of maybe 10 actors and none that I had ever seen before. The ending however just left things unresolved and the movie will wind up being quite forgettable because of it. I wouldn't tell people to not watch it, because it wasn't THAT bad, but I won't be telling people to watch it either.

"I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

9. Likes:

Chip R (02-06-2014),Hillsdale87 (02-16-2014),marcshoe (02-10-2014),Raisor (02-07-2014),RedTeamGo! (02-06-2014),RichRed (02-05-2014)

Watched the 1960 George Pal-directed "The Time Machine" a couple weeks back. Pretty good flick. What were the 3 books HG Wells took back to the future?

Watched the 1954 Judy Garland-James Mason "A Star Is Born" this week (the restored version). Quite the vehicle for Garland. Shot in glorious color and lots of costumes and set pieces. Little known fact... I do a good Jamea Mason imitation.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Watched the 1954 Judy Garland-James Mason "A Star Is Born" this week (the restored version). Quite the vehicle for Garland. Shot in glorious color and lots of costumes and set pieces. Little known fact... I do a good Jamea Mason imitation.
    I watched James Mason as "Brutus" in 1953's " Julius Caesar" yesterday, a movie in which Marlon Brando played "Marc Antony." Well acted.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Watched the 1960 George Pal-directed "The Time Machine" a couple weeks back. Pretty good flick. What were the 3 books HG Wells took back to the future?

Do one for me? Like if you were calling a baseball game?

One stand up guy did a great Vin Scully.....while having intimate relations with a woman.... My sides still hurt from that.

Saw Monuments Men saturday night. Loved it. I know the critics are panning it, but I thought it was a great tribute to an untold story.

I saw Monuments Men too, and while I love the subject matter and stellar cast, I thought the script/plot was crap. There was no explanation of the characters' motives, it constantly contradicted itself, and really there just wasn't a plot beyond "we're gonna get art back from the Nazis before the Russians get them"...

15. Likes:

Razor Shines (02-12-2014)

Watched Black Fish. I hate sea world more than I hate the circus

Rented Escape Plan the other night. Will one of you please send me $5.00 to make up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I saw Monuments Men too, and while I love the subject matter and stellar cast, I thought the script/plot was crap. There was no explanation of the characters' motives, it constantly contradicted itself, and really there just wasn't a plot beyond "we're gonna get art back from the Nazis before the Russians get them"...
    Agreed- there was lots of missed opportunities- great story and great cast but lousy script with too many holes.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I have to disagree--I think their motives were very spelled out. No,they didn't some out and specifically say "this is why...", but it was distinctly implied, IMO, that they were doing it to preserve the history and heritage. As Clooney's character put in in the movie "If you destroy their achievements, their history, it's like they never existed." the lengths that countries went to in attempts to protect their great art pieces--the Brits moved museum pieces into the tunnels, the Italians sandbagging the wall with the Last Supper, private collectors, churches, etc, who risked their lives to protect pieces like the Bruges Madonna and the Ghent altar, etc--it all shows how strongly art becomes an integral part of society.

Could the writing have been better and the movie a little more seamlessly edited, yes. But I think they did an excellent job telling a story that's been largely ignored by the general public.

And it accomplished the goal of any movie with everyone I've talked to--it was entertaining, and you came away having learned a little something to boot.

Turn Off Ads?