Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

I thought Chronicle was really good, surprisingly so. The found footage format didn't bother me, to me it's just another method.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I don't mind it and think it definitely has its place in cinema. The shaky cam in Saving Private Ryan was totally motivated, thought out by Spielberg and Kaminski to emulate battle footage extant from WWII. There are people like Tony Scott or Paul Greengrass, however, who are too stupid or lazy to actually THINK about what they were doing and WHY it might be appropriate (or not) and to help hide ineptitude at staging a scene.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I think on a smaller scale found footage can be a good thing. However for those of us who easily get motion sickness it can be really bad throughout an enitre film.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I thought Chronicle was really good, surprisingly so. The found footage format didn't bother me, to me it's just another method.
    Other than "Blair Witch Project," I don't think I've ever seen a found footage movie that I didn't think would be better off being shot as a traditional flick.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Other than "Blair Witch Project," I don't think I've ever seen a found footage movie that I didn't think would be better off being shot as a traditional flick.
    It's probably best with horror movies, adds intimacy, makes you feel more immersed.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Found this on another board I'm on -- it's an interesting read for the Star Wars fans out there:

This was posted over at EBM... pretty brilliant, albeit, incredibly nerdy blog post about a new suggested viewing order for the Star Wars Saga. Makes a lot of sense.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/201...viewing-order/
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Finally saw "Drive" on DVD. I liked it...but I did not see it as better than "Collateral" .... I did not see the seedy side of LA either....as much as I expected.

Pearl Jam Twenty - Interesting look back at the band. I knew quite a bit about them and found out some things I didn't know. Im am somewhat surprised that Eddie Vedder didn't die for all the times he was climbing up in the scafolding at concerts.

The Change Up - Light entertaining comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Found this on another board I'm on -- it's an interesting read for the Star Wars fans out there:
    Decent argument for viewing the films in that order.
    If George Lucas had simply retired after making Return of the Jedi, would movie fans have missed anything important or worthwhile watching?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

My wife loves the new trilogy. She had never seen a Star Wars film until Episode I came out. She actually prefers the prequels to the original trilogy, a fact that makes me shake my head.

Saw The Lorax yesterday. Animation was amazing, voice work by Danny DeVito and Zac Efron was very good, story was so-so. Got preachy and self important at the end.

Saw Young Adult the other night. Really enjoyed it.

After about a year of telling my wife we should watch Winter's Bone she finally suggested it last night after reading that Jennifer Lawrence is the star and also the star the of the Hunger Games. We both thought it was a really good movie and I got to say "see I told you over a year ago it was going to be good."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Going back to the original post, I had a good time watching John Carter.

Watched "Hugo" last weekend. A thoroughly enjoyable movie that succeeds on a variety of levels and I loved it.

Watch "Drive" on Friday night. An excellent movie although I have to say the graphic (and I mean *graphic*) violence caught me by surprise. Very stylish and very LA-noire. I really liked Ryan Gosling and reminded me of a young Steve McQueen. Excellent supporting cast with Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Watched "Hugo" last weekend. A thoroughly enjoyable movie that succeeds on a variety of levels and I loved it.

Watch "Drive" on Friday night. An excellent movie although I have to say the graphic (and I mean *graphic*) violence caught me by surprise. Very stylish and very LA-noire. I really liked Ryan Gosling and reminded me of a young Steve McQueen. Excellent supporting cast with Albert Brooks and Bryan Cranston.

i saw "drive" last week..agree with you, it's a very good film. i wasn't surprised about the violence though, since my husband had seen it and warned me. oddly enough, the next morning i heard a piece on "on the media" about the sounds of violence in film, and the guy's prime example was the elevator scene in "drive".

we bought a copy of "hugo" to have on hand for grands..can't wait to watch it this week. i love the notion that scorsese made a film for children (and all the world) about the history of film...passing on his insatiable love of movies.

watched "moneyball" over the weekend..thumbs up!
    teach tolerance.

Turn Off Ads?