Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 973

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

  1. #31
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,868

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Finally saw "Bridesmaids." Pretty funny but a little more subdued than I was expecting, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I had no idea that "Roy" from "The IT Crowd" was in it - that was a pleasant surprise.

    Also watched "50/50." I thought it was excellent. Poignant, funny, and well-acted. It got awfully dusty in the house during the pre-op scene because it brought back memories of my dad, who's no longer with us, staying by my side when I had cancer surgery.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    890

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Choo got it, dude.

  4. #33
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Posts
    8,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Going back to the original post, I had a good time watching John Carter.
    Same here... Saw it yesterday in IMAX. Just a good old fashioned popcorn flick. The SFX were not eye-popping but seemed very natural-felt I was truly on Barsoom (Mars). The scenes on Earth both at the beginning and the end were well done and tied in nicely. There is also narration, sort of a prologue, for the viewers who might not have read the books, at the beginning. The 2+ hours flew by. It's a shame that the critics, media, fanboys, even Disney announced it DOA because I would definitely go to see a sequel. Planning to see it a few more times before it gets out of the theaters. I'll also give a report if 3D was really necessary or just a waste of money.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-12
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

  5. #34
    La Dolce Vita
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,764

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    michael shannon is excellent in "take shelter".
    ditto for patton oswalt in "young adult".. charlize theron, too.

    imo, 2 good indy movies.
    teach tolerance.

  6. #35
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,157

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    I also loved Young Adult, and I picked up Take Shelter last night to check out.

    I saw Friends With Kids with the girlfriend a couple days ago, and it's good enough for a date movie, but unnecessarily crude.

    Saw Safe House, and wouldn't necessarily recommend it. It's got the shaky camerawork, and I still don't buy Ryan Reynolds. I feel like I'm not getting a joke everyone else is laughing at. Denzel is fantastic as always, though.

    Next up for me are Hunger Games and 21 Jump Street.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  7. #36
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    I have midnights to The Hunger Games on Thursday.

    UC tips at 10:00 on Thursday.

    #firstworldproblems
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  8. #37
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Friends with Kids would have been much better with a different lead actress, but she wrote it so I guess she gets to be the star.

    21 Jump Street was very funny.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  9. #38
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    I just finished Bringing Out the Dead. If anybody else has seen it and would like to share their thoughts, I'm all ears. Is it a black comedy? Was Martin Scorsese on acid?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  10. #39
    La Dolce Vita
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,764

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Friends with Kids would have been much better with a different lead actress, but she wrote it so I guess she gets to be the star..
    and jennifer westfeldt is jon hamm's love in life, so she's doin' okay..
    teach tolerance.

  11. #40
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Watched "The Big Year" over the weekend. A modest yet humorous and affable "birding" movie with Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson.

    I really liked the non-fiction book this is based on so I was looking forward to this movie. I wasn't disappointed. But I can see why it tanked at the box office. There just isn't much of a market for this kind of movie. No superheroes, big explosions, thundering soundtrack, large breasts, or snickering jokes. Its a group of birders set on a big year, a quest to outdo each other by finding the most species of birds in North America. Their competition is an allegory for the challenges faced in their lives.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  12. #41
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Two recents:

    - John Carter: Loved. It. Just a fantastic good old adventure yarn with some truly amazing effects. The look and feel of the movie is amazing, and the world it creates is one I'd love to see more of (...but we won't, due to the movie's box office status). The movie, more so than most sci-fi spectacles, goes out of it's way to make the characters feel like real people. There's one scene in particular, with Carter running head-long into a fight and clips of his past interspersed, that was just perfect.

    This movie deserved a better fate.

    B+ / A-

    - The Hunger Games: Tremendously disappointing. I've read (and enjoyed) the book series, and the movie does a great job of bringing the scenes and the characters to life. The cast is just about perfect (especially Lenny Kravitz, of all people, as Cinna) and the two leads fit their roles well. The dystopian future "world" is also well realized and seems like it jumped off the pages.

    The directing, though, is beyond terrible. The film feels like it was shot by a bunch of people running through the forest with their iPhones out. The shaky-cam "documentary" style is overused in just about every phase of the movie, and it gets so bad during the action sequences that you miss what's going on. I guess that's the point if you want to preserve a PG-13 rating in a movie where kids kill one another, but it makes the entire film difficult to sit through.

    Additionally, the writers seemed hell-bent on removing every aspect of the Katniss character that made her an interesting and different heroine in the books.

    D+ / C-
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-23-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  13. #42
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Two recents:

    - John Carter: Loved. It. Just a fantastic good old adventure yarn with some truly amazing effects. The look and feel of the movie is amazing, and the world it creates is one I'd love to see more of (...but we won't, due to the movie's box office status). The movie, more so than most sci-fi spectacles, goes out of it's way to make the characters feel like real people. There's one scene in particular, with Carter running head-long into a fight and clips of his past interspersed, that was just perfect.

    This movie deserved a better fate.

    B+ / A-

    - The Hunger Games: Tremendously disappointing. I've read (and enjoyed) the book series, and the movie does a great job of bringing the scenes and the characters to life. The cast is just about perfect (especially Lenny Kravitz, of all people, as Cinna) and the two leads fit their roles well. The dystopian future "world" is also well realized and seems like it jumped off the pages.

    The directing, though, is beyond terrible. The film feels like it was shot by a bunch of people running through the forest with their iPhones out. The shaky-cam "documentary" style is overused in just about every phase of the movie, and it gets so bad during the action sequences that you miss what's going on. I guess that's the point if you want to preserve a PG-13 rating in a movie where kids kill one another, but it makes the entire film difficult to sit through.

    Additionally, the writers seemed hell-bent on removing every aspect of the Katniss character that made her an interesting and different heroine in the books.

    D+ / C-
    Wow, really? Just saw it and thought it was very good. Originally I just read the book because I realized "Hey, my wife is an important part of my life and I should take an interest in stuff she likes.". But I really enjoyed the books.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #43
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,623

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow, really? Just saw it and thought it was very good. Originally I just read the book because I realized "Hey, my wife is an important part of my life and I should take an interest in stuff she likes.". But I really enjoyed the books.
    I liked the books too -- the books go out of their way to portray Katniss as this mostly cold-blooded survivor. Her feelings sometimes get a little muddled, but it's always clear that she believes she's playing a role during the games designed to win her sympathy and support. The movie glosses over that and the end result is a movie that feels like a tween romance.

    The ending of the book, where Katniss comes clean with Peeta was a fantastic emotional punch -- and they completely cut that out of the movie for no discernible reason.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  15. #44
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I liked the books too -- the books go out of their way to portray Katniss as this mostly cold-blooded survivor. Her feelings sometimes get a little muddled, but it's always clear that she believes she's playing a role during the games designed to win her sympathy and support. The movie glosses over that and the end result is a movie that feels like a tween romance.

    The ending of the book, where Katniss comes clean with Peeta was a fantastic emotional punch -- and they completely cut that out of the movie for no discernible reason.
    I guess it was hard for me to separate myself from someone who read the books and someone who was just watching a movie, because i thought all those things were portrayed in the movie just somewhat subdued. It could be they left it a little ambiguous in the movie so that people could see what they wanted. If you knew the story perhaps you would see a stone cold survivor playing a part but still conflicted about her feelings.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #45
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

    I went out yesterday and saw the Hunger Games. I thought it was an enjoyable flick, wanted to kick the person who decided to shoot the film like that because the first half hour or so was difficult to watch becasue of the camera action.

    As for the movie itself it was well done. I have only read the first two books and thought they took too much from what you learn in the second novel and incorporate it in the movie. I don't remember President Snow really playing much of a role in the first novel nor do I remember Katnis being defiant. Overall I give it about a B+, but I am easy to please when it comes to movies.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25