Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Not a Green Lantern fan?
    As far as I'm concerned that movie didn't happen, some sort of cruel joke. In my head the GL movie they make stars Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan. And it's awesome.

Saw Man of Steel on Friday. Not as good as any of the Nolan Batman movies (though that's an unfair comparison, really) but pretty darned good and more than good enough to get a shared DC movie universe off the ground. I thought it could have used a touch more humor and having Supes in the actual suit acting as Superman pre-Zod attack would have been nice but that would have meant it was pushing three hours. I though Russell Crowe as Jor-El was a nice bit of casting.

Anyone else notice that the spaceship shown during Kal-El's Kryptonian history lesson looked exactly the same as it did in the original Superman? Nice touch there.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

I saw This is the End last night. I thought the majority of the movie was hilarious. The last 20 minutes so was kinda meh. I felt the same way about Pineapple Express. Goldberg and Rogen have these hilarious ideas for movies but they sometimes struggle coming up with good endings. Very funny movie though if you like this group of actors like I do, the first 30 minutes of the movie is a very interesting look into the lives of these people. It seemed to me Rogen and Baruchel were not really acting at the beginning of the movie and that is how these guys are.

A friend of mine was disappointed in Man of Steel because he killed Zod. He has 2 young boys and said something along the lines of "Superman doesn't kill."

Without getting political, did anyone else have a problem with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Personally, I don't care. I've never read the comics, so anything that strayed from there, doesn't bother me.

However, here is what I have a problem with, its social commentary, so I don't know that it belongs here, but none the less:

Man of Steel is rated PG-13. Now I'm not so much of a prude to think that anyone under 13 can't handle the content. There was 1 curse word, 1 fake curse word (literally said F-that or what the F or something along those line) plus a lot of action movie violence. A normal 10 year old can probably handle all of that, perhaps even younger. But at what age do you draw the line? There were kids that were clearly under 5 in the theater, not to mention at least 1 kid young enough to cry at different points in the movie. I'm pretty sure I saw a pair of 3 year old girls.

At what point do you draw the line? At what point is a movie theater willing to draw the line? I've seen babies under a year at the movies before. OK, if it was a kids movie, and perhaps you've got a kid or more that is in that range to see that movie, and the new born tags along (perhaps the baby sitter feel thru, or whatever), its not going to bother me, but somebody brought in a new born to see The Girl w/ the Dragon Tatoo.

I have a 4 year old, turns 5 in a couple of weeks. There's no way in hades I'd want him watching Man of Steel right now. It provides no benefit for him, would distract me, and would definently distract others around us. Things I just don't understand.

To medford...

I would assume except for the possibility of "R" rated and definitely "NC-17" rated movies, the theaters will allow for the parents to make that decision. I think in many cases families cannot find a babysitter because going to the movies is expensive!

If anyone feels that maybe a PG-13 movie is inappropriate for their child(ren) then there are two good websites that go over all the issues. IMDB has a pretty extensive parent guide for each movie listed (Man of Steel link below):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...e?ref_=tt_ql_7

The Dove Foundation is Christian (and conservative) based and very extensive as well: (Man of Steel link below). The reviews are IMHO pretty good and go over the good, bad and the ugly. A lot I agree with but some of the issues they have with certain movies are petty - but that is their POV and MO. BTW Man of Steel was not approved.

http://www.dove.org/reviewpopup.asp?Unique_ID=9938

One drawback with the guides is the possible spoilers revealed - in case you haven't seen the movie and want to be surprised.
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 06-19-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Personally, I don't care. I've never read the comics, so anything that strayed from there, doesn't bother me.

However, here is what I have a problem with, its social commentary, so I don't know that it belongs here, but none the less:

Man of Steel is rated PG-13. Now I'm not so much of a prude to think that anyone under 13 can't handle the content. There was 1 curse word, 1 fake curse word (literally said F-that or what the F or something along those line) plus a lot of action movie violence. A normal 10 year old can probably handle all of that, perhaps even younger. But at what age do you draw the line? There were kids that were clearly under 5 in the theater, not to mention at least 1 kid young enough to cry at different points in the movie. I'm pretty sure I saw a pair of 3 year old girls.

At what point do you draw the line? At what point is a movie theater willing to draw the line? I've seen babies under a year at the movies before. OK, if it was a kids movie, and perhaps you've got a kid or more that is in that range to see that movie, and the new born tags along (perhaps the baby sitter feel thru, or whatever), its not going to bother me, but somebody brought in a new born to see The Girl w/ the Dragon Tatoo.

I have a 4 year old, turns 5 in a couple of weeks. There's no way in hades I'd want him watching Man of Steel right now. It provides no benefit for him, would distract me, and would definently distract others around us. Things I just don't understand.
    I've often wondered that regarding super hero movies in general. I guess I grew up in a time when comic characters were marketed to kids and kids were going to be pre disposed to want to see a live action movie depicting their heroes, but in recent years the comic movies have been decidedly more adult oriented, but then again a lot of the comics have more of an edge to them than they used to.

I'm not sure where I fall on that though. I enjoy the newer ones and find them perhaps a bit more realistic, or at least as realistic as a comic book movie can be, than a lot of the campy things that would be safe for young children. It probably comes down to parents who see super heroes as the domain of children and don't stop to look at the what they're taking their kids to. I saw young ones at all of the Dark Knight movies when I was in the theater. These days you can't just assume that super hero=appropriate for young kids.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    To medford...

I would assume except for the possibility of "R" rated and definitely "NC-17" rated movies, the theaters will allow for the parents to make that decision. I think in many cases families cannot find a babysitter because going to the movies is expensive!

If anyone feels that maybe a PG-13 movie is inappropriate for their child(ren) then there are two good websites that go over all the issues. IMDB has a pretty extensive parent guide for each movie listed (Man of Steel link below):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770828/...e?ref_=tt_ql_7

The Dove Foundation is Christian (and conservative) based and very extensive as well: (Man of Steel link below). The reviews are IMHO pretty good and go over the good, bad and the ugly. A lot I agree with but some of the issues they have with certain movies are petty - but that is their POV and MO. BTW Man of Steel was not approved.

http://www.dove.org/reviewpopup.asp?Unique_ID=9938

One drawback with the guides is the possible spoilers revealed - in case you haven't seen the movie and want to be surprised.
    I see what your getting at, and I'm probably along the same lines as you, for the most part. Personally, as long as you kid is relatively still and respectful of the others in the movie theaters (ie not talking loudly out of turn, flipping on a cell phone, etc...) then I don't really care, but I do question the judgement of taking a 4 year old to see man of steel. Sure the kid may love seeing superman cartoons, but should they really be exposed to that?

anyways, I digress, I have a much bigger issue w/ parents who bring their infants to a theater. Why would you do that to yourself. Movies are expensive, if you can't afford to see a movie and hire a baby sitter for an infant, skip the movie, lord knows I've skipped plenty of movies over the last 5 years. Crying kids should never be appropriate in any movie with a rating over PG (like I said, I give leeway to the mom and dad who bring the 4 month old to a movie with their 4 & 5 year old siblings to see the latest Pixar flick)

Having to sit thru a baby crying in a movie theater is as dirspectful as the people who flip open their phone and text people during a movie not caring (or in some cases realizing) how distracting that back lighting is to the rest of us in a dark theather.

OK, I'm off my soap box.

Superman II, Superman, after putting him in the red sun machine, crushes the hand of Zod and pushes him down a big freaking hole.

Golden Age Superman comics from the beginning show him killing guys right and left.

Silver Age Superman mostly didn't kill. He would occasionally turn Lois into a baby and spank her though.

Post crisis Superman has killed Doomsday and Zod and probably others.

People aren't remembering their youth correctly

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I like Now You See Me quite a bit. The Prestige is on a different level though.
    Post 403.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    A friend of mine was disappointed in Man of Steel because he killed Zod. He has 2 young boys and said something along the lines of "Superman doesn't kill."

I was surprised by it. I mean he's done it in the comics IIRC...but not in the movies. Made him more realistic IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I was surprised by it. I mean he's done it in the comics IIRC...but not in the movies. Made him more realistic IMO.
    Except for that other time he killed Zod in a movie

People aren't remembering their youth correctly
    This. Exactly.

I had no problem with it at all and imagine it will affect the sequel's storyline, for the good, as well.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Let's make sure we Spoiler Alert stuff like this.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Is anyone expecting Zod to win?

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-20-2013)

I'm really tired of superhero movies...

18. Likes:

Joseph (06-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?