Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I decided to test your theory and take a look at my watchlist on IMDb. These are my 9 star and 10 star films from the last five years:

Drive (adapted novel)
    50/50 (original screenplay)
    500 Days of Summer (original screenplay)
    Knocked Up (original screenplay)
    The Dark Knight (comic book franchise)
    Inglourious Basterds (original screenplay)
    Midnight in Paris (original screenplay)
    District 9 (original screenplay)
    No Country for Old Men (adapted novel)
    The Fighter (original screenplay)
    The Hurt Locker (original screenplay)

There's my 11 favorite movies from the past five years, and eight of them are original screenplays; two that are not are adapted from far-from-household novels. Only Batman is the obvious fanchise, and it had one of the best directors of our generation at the helm.

The Prestige, Children of Men, and Little Miss Sunshine all just missed the cut by a year and are (mostly) original franchises.

I think film has gone the same way as music--there's just more of it out there. As a result of the development of the internet, you really have to dig to find the good stuff. The studios and record companies are cramming garbage down your throat. But it's there...
    Outside of Dark Knight, The first two Transformers movies made as much as the other 11 combined.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    You kind of argued against yourself, I think. Americans did support Inception. It made $292M US and $532M foreign. Transformers Dark Side of the Moon made $352M US and $771M foreign. The US numbers are comparable but Inception gets killed in other countries. I don't think American movie goers are the ones you should be complaining to, we rewarded a high concept movie in Inception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We also spent a combined $1.7 billion dollars on a Twilight Movie, Shrek 4, another Karate Kid, another Tron Movie, Another Focker movie, The Last Airbender (which made an unforgivable 131 million dollars), and a Yogi Bear movie in 2010.

Inception is an excellent example of what I want from Hollywood. It is too early in the movie cycle to know the impact it is going to have on new movies and I hope our box office numbers make movies like that more common.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Inception? Kill me now.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Inception? Kill me now.
    I know a few people that didn't like it, but I don't understand it. I thought it was fantastic.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I know a few people that didn't like it, but I don't understand it. I thought it was fantastic.
    I liked it, but I think a lot of people like me were frustrated to see people suddenly gushing over Chris Nolan after he's been making excellent films for over a decade now. I call it "oh look at me, I'm so intellectual because I like Inception" syndrome...

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Outside of Dark Knight, The first two Transformers movies made as much as the other 11 combined.
    Meh, you gotta look at the budget to figure out what the marginal return was too. Most of the movies I posted were not given a significant budget and I'm not gonna bother to do the math, but I imagine they were all very successful films for the movie studios...

Don't get me wrong, I think Nolan is an excellent, perhaps even brilliant populist craftsman, but he's tragically lacking in emotional or social intelligence or any kind of insight.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Don't get me wrong, I think Nolan is an excellent, perhaps even brilliant populist craftsman, but he's tragically lacking in emotional or social intelligence or any kind of insight.
    The Dark Knight did not have social or emotional intelligence? I guess I am stupid then. You sound like one of those fancy critics who uses big words and leave you scratching your head about which movie they were watching with everyone else.

Yes, tragic. I know when I think of the great tragedies theres the holocaust, apartheid and Nolan's lack of social and emotional intelligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I'm sorry I even posted.

Wow. I'm sorry I even posted.
    I appreciated your post...

Inception? Kill me now.
    You're right, you came in with your very humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I liked it, but I think a lot of people like me were frustrated to see people suddenly gushing over Chris Nolan after he's been making excellent films for over a decade now. I call it "oh look at me, I'm so intellectual because I like Inception" syndrome...
    I guess. I understand and I've had to point out how great Memento and The Prestige are to people who didn't know Nolan before the Dark Knight, but there's no way I'd let other people suddenly gushing over Nolan take away from my enjoyment of Inception.

And if you're looking down your nose at people for liking Inception with "kill me now" responses, then that's taking movie snobbishness to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    The Dark Knight did not have social or emotional intelligence? I guess I am stupid then. You sound like one of those fancy critics who uses big words and leave you scratching your head about which movie they were watching with everyone else.
    Do you think all new films and directors are just like Nolan and his work? Or do you just think he's so far above everybody else that if you don't like him, you'd have to not like movies? Either way, it's an incredibly idiotic statement to make. There are plenty of people around here who watch lots of new films and don't much like Nolan; there are plenty of us who love science fiction and don't think Inception is a very good example of it.

You're right, you came in with your very humble opinion.
    I was being facetious, obviously. Your post, however (along with Tony's), was totally uncalled for.

And if you're looking down your nose at people for liking Inception with "kill me now" responses, then that's taking movie snobbishness to another level.
    It's amazing how individuality has suddenly become a dirty word on this forum.

Being a snob really has nothing to do with your tastes in film but rather your attitude about said tastes. Some of the snobbiest posters on this board have very narrow and unevolved filmic tastes.

I finally watched "Hangover 2." Still waiting for the funny parts to begin.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?