Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Moonrise Kingdom is basically a perfect movie.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Moonrise Kingdom is basically a perfect movie.
    Wait, you can make a movie without huge explosions? Or 3D? Or tons of CGI? Or without a franchise?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

They call me "chef"

Kingdom was my favorite of the year by far. I think it's appeal is a bit narrow but if you are in that group of people who enjoys Wes Anderson & quirky, stylized, relationship-dramadies you'll love this.

I tend to like the idea of Wes Anderson movies more than the actual movies. Other things that qualify:
    Chinese Food
    The NFL
    LoFi Indie Rock
    Most Candy
    Most Wine

Earlier in the thread, I lamented on the laziness of Hollywood and their propensity to make easy movies instead of producing new ideas. Having thought about it, I think I missed some nuances in my argument.

First, I think it is more on the studios than the actual directors. This is completely understandable from most of their points of view. It is their job to make money, not necessarily art.

But, I have come to see one part of my thesis that i missed and was very short sighted on my part. These modern movie franchises (Spiderman, Pirates, Bourne, even Bond, etc...) are very akin to ancient Greco Roman mythology. This may seem like a stretch, but hear me out. Every Greek or Roman knew the stories. They knew general plot lines. But, it was up to each author/playwright to interpret the myth and put their own unique spin on it. The old myth would gain new life and new meaning to new groups of people. This is similar to what is happening with movies. Almost everyone knows how Peter Parker/Bruce Wayne/Superman became superheroes. But, each director has taken a slightly different viewpoint on the characters, their motivations, dilemmas, and heroism. Why did Nolan create the Batman he did? That is the interesting question.

Last week I picked up a CD at the library on Motown. I realized after listening to it that it was the soundtrack for a documentary about the label's house band(s), The Funk Brothers. I got the DVD from the library today and watched it while eating dinner. It's a decent enough documentary that tells their story (relatively unheralded), recreates a few incidents with actors (perhaps the weakest part of the film, although the stories are with the voice over of the musicians recounting the tale) and intersperses a concert featuring the band and current musicians performing the classic Motown songs. Those that I knew beforehand were Joan Osborne, Chaka Kahn, Ben Harper and Bootsy Collins.

It's a lot of fun and does a good job telling their story. And they still have considerable chops playing. The Cincinnati library has copies of both, so you can request it from there (after I bring it back!).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

If you weren't already aware, a newly restored version of Lawrence of Arabia has been prepared for a Blu-Ray release on November 13th. This also coincides with a planned theatrical re-release (!) in October.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...ersary-blu-ray

Part of a Home Theater Forum discussion, including comments from restorer Robert Harris and film historian Adrian Turner:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/30...n-blu-ray/1500

Just as interesting, from my perspective, is that the film's most famous "missing" scene, Allenby's "seduction" of Lawrence to returning to the desert, has apparently been restored and will be included on the BRD as a special feature.

Suffice to say I'm extremely excited. I will bend arms, break legs, possibly even commit crimes to see Lawrence in theaters.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    If you weren't already aware, a newly restored version of Lawrence of Arabia has been prepared for a Blu-Ray release on November 13th. This also coincides with a planned theatrical re-release (!) in October.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/32...ersary-blu-ray

Part of a Home Theater Forum discussion, including comments from restorer Robert Harris and film historian Adrian Turner:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/30...n-blu-ray/1500

Just as interesting, from my perspective, is that the film's most famous "missing" scene, Allenby's "seduction" of Lawrence to returning to the desert, has apparently been restored and will be included on the BRD as a special feature.

Suffice to say I'm extremely excited. I will bend arms, break legs, possibly even commit crimes to see Lawrence in theaters.
    My students look at me like I'm some sort of alien when I say that this is my favorite movie.

Saw Moonrise Kingdom with the wife based on previous reviews here. Great afternoon date movie.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I caught Almost Famous on Cinemax last night and forgot just how great it was, I haven't seen it in a long time and for whatever reason always missed the first 15 minutes, pure joy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I caught Almost Famous on Cinemax last night and forgot just how great it was, I haven't seen it in a long time and for whatever reason always missed the first 15 minutes, pure joy.
    Possibly my favorite movie of all time, definitely in the top 2 or 3. I pick up on something new every time I watch it. It's so enjoyable in a straightforward way, but there's so much underneath it too.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Untilted (Almost Famous director's cut) is tremendously good.

La Dolce Vita

seeing "we bought a zoo" w/ my granddaughter awhile back, i was glad to see cameron crowe was giving "almost famous" star, patrick fugit, work.
    teach tolerance.

La Dolce Vita

"mr. blandings builds his dream house"...finally got a dvd of one of my favorite cary grant films...yeesh. i'm gonna die one day and not get to watch his movies again.
    teach tolerance.

The new Total Recall might be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Turn Off Ads?