Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valaika healthy, Francisco is not

-The Insider-

Valaika healthy, Francisco is not

Two little tid bits:

Valaika spent most of last year at Triple-A. He hit .280 in 14 games with the Reds before suffering the injury on Sept. 11.
    andddd

–Juan Francisco dealing with his left calf that put him the disabled list for month last year.

“He was in getting treatment this morning,” Baker said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Valaika healthy, Francisco is not

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Two little tid bits:

andddd
    3rd base could be a tough spot this year. Don't want to see Fraizer starting there.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1 View Post
    3rd base could be a tough spot this year. Don't want to see Fraizer starting there.
    I would rather see Frazier there than Francisco.

My question is, why is Francisco still nursing a calf injury he suffered LAST year?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

My question is, why is Francisco still nursing a calf injury he suffered LAST year?
    Didn't he play in the DWL?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

He reinjured it over the winter. I have to say, I'm concerned this could be a chronic situation with Francisco -- if you watch his swing's follow through, he does something very odd with his back leg that appears to stress/twist his calf. Combining the follow through with the necessity of getting off fast towards first (pushing off the back leg) when the ball is hit, it puts that left lower leg at high risk. And this is not a simple fix, mechanically. Probably cannot be fixed, given the violence and muscle memory involved in his swing.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

-The Insider-

David Bell played third...

Not as well as his father.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Juan Francisco is testing my patience.

And I really don't want to see Valaika starting games at third base. He's just not a starter for a division-winning team.

News flash. If Francisco can't go after spring training, it won't be Frazier who goes north.

It will be Willie Harris.

I can't remember the last decent baseball team that only had two lefty hitters. Even three is very light.

Reds will keep that third lefty bat. If not Francisco, then Harris.

Harris has only played 33 career games at third base though, and they need somebody to caddy for Rolen.

EDIT: Apparently I thought Cairo was dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Juan Francisco is testing my patience.

And I really don't want to see Valaika starting games at third base. He's just not a starter for a division-winning team.
    Well, of course he's not. The question is whether he can be a viable backup for Rolen. I think he can, although I agree with you that I'd rather see someone else in there if Scotty Roles goes down with an injury.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Ideally, you'd like to see Francisco get hot this spring so that the Reds can ship him off somewhere. Who knows -- the last time the Reds had a free-swinging, out-of-options, mediocre-defense, suborbital launch-power slugger they managed to turn him into Bronson Arroyo.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-21-2012 at 04:39 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Ideally, you'd like to see Francisco get hot this spring so that the Reds can ship him off somewhere. Who knows -- the last time the Reds had a free-swinging, out-of-options, mediocre-defense, suborbital launch-power slugger they managed to turn him into Bronson Arroyo.
    Ideally, you'd like to see Francisco get HEALTHY this spring so he can play the role intended for him. Lefty compliment to Rolen at third base and lefty hitter off the bench.

I'm not questioning your statement, but why do you feel this way? Defense?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I agree with Doug on this. I think Francisco has a higher upside, but I think the better overall major leaguer will be Frazier. He's as good as Francisco defensively and I think he'll be a much better hitter as well. I see contact, K's and lack of walks being the achilles' heel for Juan. Todd doesn't have the power that Juan does, but his better hit tool will translate into as many dingers (if not more) that Juan IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?