Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Cueto or Latos?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    487

    Cueto or Latos?

    I saw some on here debating whether Cueto or Latos will start Opening Day. FWIW Dusty has gone ahead and ended that debate by naming Cueto the Opening Day starter.

    This is the correct move and should surprise no one.

    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...cisco-hurting/

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    [redacted]
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    304

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    I believe this has been known for some time, but agreed - not surprising.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    390

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Typical Dusty move. Go with what got you there. Not necessarily what should makes more sinse.
    IMO I think an argument can be made that less stress would be put on Cueto and let Latos start.

  5. #4
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,714

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    I saw some on here debating whether Cueto or Latos will start Opening Day. FWIW Dusty has gone ahead and ended that debate by naming Cueto the Opening Day starter.

    This is the correct move and should surprise no one.

    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...cisco-hurting/
    It is surprising because Dusty is making the correct move

  6. #5
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,156

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Typical Dusty move. Go with what got you there. Not necessarily what should makes more sinse.
    IMO I think an argument can be made that less stress would be put on Cueto and let Latos start.
    The argument could also be made that Latos would experience much more stress as a young guy at a new park in a place where Opening Day is hyped more than anywhere else in baseball.

  7. #6
    part of BBN jmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    2,309

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    I was actually impressed by Dusty's reasoning of wanting a low ERA guy matched up with the same and Bronson needing to be down in rotation.

  8. #7
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    After reading Dusty's reasoning I am convinced he watches baseball with his eyes closed. He missed his true calling - comedy. That's why Edinson got the nod last year. Dusty knows an ace when he sees one. Using DustyLogic the Reds should be skipping their ace the first time through the rotation. Since the Marlins start the season a game ahead of us, schedule-wise, they will be trotting out their number 2 starter. And you have to keep them lined up. 1s versus 1s, 2s versus 2s and so on down the line.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-20-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    26

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Cueto's the obvious choice, in my opinion. He has the tenure with the team, had a great year last year, and knows what Opening Day is like in Cincinnati. I'd hate to throw Latos to the wolves on Opening Day his first year with the Reds. Let him enjoy the day, see how it is next year, and then after he wins the Cy Young this year, he can start Opening Day next year.

  10. #9
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    594

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He missed his true calling - comedy.
    I agree.

    Front Office: A sitcom staring Dusty Baker, Jim Bowden, and John Fay. I think it could run for 10 seasons.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Charleston, Ohio
    Posts
    413

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I agree.

    Front Office: A sitcom staring Dusty Baker, Jim Bowden, and John Fay. I think it could run for 10 seasons.
    I would watch... as long as the John Fay character took took repeated blows to the face and groin in every episode.
    Let's get weird!

  12. #11
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I agree.

    Front Office: A sitcom staring Dusty Baker, Jim Bowden, and John Fay. I think it could run for 10 seasons.
    John Allen could reprise Mr. Carlson.

    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  13. #12
    Member LeDoux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    594

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    John Allen could reprise Mr. Carlson.

    If we are going off the WKRP template, I want Arroyo as Johnny Fever and Dallas Latos taking Loni Anderson's spot.

  14. #13
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    I have no idea who is on The Office. So I went old school with a Cincinnati flavor. And, for the record, I was a Bailey Quarters devotee.
    Last edited by texasdave; 02-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  15. #14
    Hanigan's Homies DirtyBaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    397

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Cueto deserves it and I really like our chances if he can repeat last year.

    But latos would have been my choice too. I think there's a decent number of people who think Latos will have the better season, myself included. If 2012 is THE season - they better get used to pressure, so I'm not buying the too much pressure argument. Otherwise it's 2010 again come postseason.

    The Volquez decision last year blew up despite the comeback win. Go with your best arm. For me, that's Latos, then Cueto, then take your pick.

  16. #15
    Member RedsfaninMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    447

    Re: Cueto or Latos?

    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBaker View Post
    Cueto deserves it and I really like our chances if he can repeat last year.

    But latos would have been my choice too. I think there's a decent number of people who think Latos will have the better season, myself included. If 2012 is THE season - they better get used to pressure, so I'm not buying the too much pressure argument. Otherwise it's 2010 again come postseason.

    The Volquez decision last year blew up despite the comeback win. Go with your best arm. For me, that's Latos, then Cueto, then take your pick.
    Well either Cueto deserves it or he doesn't, right? You started by saying Cueto deserves it, and if that is so, then he should get the start. But it seems like you're saying if it was up to you, Latos he would get the start - though he doesn't deserve it? I'll admit, I am confused.

    I think Dusty should see how things go in Spring Training, but unless Cueto tanks, he earned the starts for the Reds last year. After all, Latos has won zero games for them so far this year.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25