Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

The Free Agency Season in the NFL cracks me up. So much drama from fans and experts giving us "winners" and "losers." Of course no one really knows whether FA signings are good or bad until at least the next season plays out. For the draft, it's even longer, at least 3 years. Free Agency in the NFL has a much smaller impact on teams than in other sports. It's not like the NBA or MLB, where you can pick up one or two guys who can greatly increase your chances of winning more games. At best, you get a key role player. At worst, you blow a bunch of cap space on a non-entity.

However, that's what I like about the NFL. Teams can afford to keep players at positions essential to winning, like quarterback, while letting less essential players go via free agency. Imagine if more MLB teams could afford to keep the ace pitcher or offensive all-star instead of having to worry about trading them before their contract is up just so they can get some kind of return for them.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Crocker happy to see dirty Ward retire.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...irement-032112

Looks like the Bengals will land the Law Firm. Talks have been ongoing all day with a number of tweets out there.

Joe Goodberry ‏ @JoeGoodberry Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    #Bengals RT @Mary_Paoletti: Source: BenJarvus Green-Ellis likely to be a Cincinnati Bengal quite soon. #nfl #patriots
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Looks like the Bengals will land the Law Firm. Talks have been ongoing all day with a number of tweets out there.

Joe Goodberry ‏ @JoeGoodberry Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    #Bengals RT @Mary_Paoletti: Source: BenJarvus Green-Ellis likely to be a Cincinnati Bengal quite soon. #nfl #patriots
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...ls-source-says
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Green-Ellis...ugh.

I think you guys are going to like him more than you expect. He's extremely reliable in short yardage, always goes forward, almost always gets the 1st or into the end zone, and literally never fumbles. You need others to do the flashy stuff, but he's as close to perfect at the ordinary stuff as you can expect.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

This will open the door to draft a speedster like Wilson, Miller or Pead in the early rounds if they're truly intent on shifting towards a RBBC system.

BGE at least doesn't fumble (fist pump) and he gets into the end zone regularly, something the Bengals obviously haven't done well. Honestly, I would have taken anyone over Benson at this point, so I can't complain.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Green-Ellis...ugh.
    He's not the full answer. We still need a nice back in the draft. He's just one small piece

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I think you guys are going to like him more than you expect. He's extremely reliable in short yardage, always goes forward, almost always gets the 1st or into the end zone, and literally never fumbles. You need others to do the flashy stuff, but he's as close to perfect at the ordinary stuff as you can expect.
    It won't take much for him to be an upgrade over what they had the last 3 or so years.

I know many fans will be happy they don't have to hear Benson complaining about carries anymore.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

bJGE finds the end zone because Brady gets him in a position to be there.

Maybe I'm wrong, but he doesn't seem to be any sort of answer.

I don't think there was the "complete" package running back in free agency, a guy who you can put back there for 20-25 carries a game and count on racking up 80-100+ yards each time out. The league is moving away from that model anyways, with a few exceptions, I would assume he's a decent blocking back in passing situations, meaning you can draft a rookie in round 2 or 3, let them work into 1st & 2nd down carries, and let BJGE handle 3rd down duties with a steady mix of 1st & 2nd down situations.

Using a little tool I have for fantasy football (nothing special or sophisticated, just something I have fun with) I look at what Green-Ellis actual stats have been in his career and plug in the touches we might expect him to get as the lead back in our system. Here is what the tool spat out;

Code:
    Year	YDS	TD	Rec	REC YDS	REC TD		Carries	Targets
    2008	275	5	3	37	0		74	6
    2009	114	0	2	11	0		26	5
    2010	1008	13	12	85	0		229	16
    2011	667	11	9	159	0		181	13
    Projected;

Code:
    2012	972	14	22	228	0		235	27
    I went with 235 carries because I expect there to be more of a time split between backs this year, with the offense moving more to a west coast scheme. 27 targets because over the last four years the Bengals have thrown to their lead back an average 27.5 times.

I think we have a nice little back here. The touchdown projections are probably high, since he is not going to be playing in such a high scoring offense, but I don't see why those other stats aren't obtainable.

Also, I would argue that you can't really say that Green-Ellis can't be a factor in the receiving game. He just simply hasn't been given the targets other backs get.

If we get a complemtary back (not sold on Scott) in the draft, I think we could put a backfield together that is similar to what other west coast teams strive for.
    Last edited by schmidty622; 03-22-2012 at 02:07 PM.

"An underrated running back, ‘Law Firm’ will now get a chance to show he can be a bigger part of an offense if this proves to be the case. He finished 2011 with our 8th highest grade for running. We like this move for all parties."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-day-9-032112/

I like the move, more than I would have liked getting Michael Bush. He's reliable in so many ways. Ball security, short yardage, pass protection, and off of the field. I think he's gonna fit in well. I'd love to see us get more of a homerun threat in the draft, and like I've been saying for ages I hope that guy is Isaiah Pead, but regardless we're a better team right now than we were yesterday.

Benson did a lot of good things for us, but he was far from reliable. Fumbles, suspensions, and short yardage plays were problems with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I like the move, more than I would have liked getting Michael Bush. He's reliable in so many ways. Ball security, short yardage, pass protection, and off of the field. I think he's gonna fit in well. I'd love to see us get more of a homerun threat in the draft, and like I've been saying for ages I hope that guy is Isaiah Pead, but regardless we're a better team right now than we were yesterday.

Benson did a lot of good things for us, but he was far from reliable. Fumbles, suspensions, and short yardage plays were problems with him.
    Benson was a pretty reliable back for a couple of years in Cincy. He was a hard nosed runner that took a pounding year in year out. The problem was he started to get suspended, break down, fumble, and become a malcontent last season.

Turn Off Ads?