Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Medford, you make my point that the extra 5th rd picks have very, very little value in trades. Using two to move up one spot in the first is not like moving from "21 to the mid teens". I can't see ten rookies making the team so I'd like to see some wheeling and dealing on draft day but I'm not getting my hopes up. Expect very little movement on the part of the Bengals and look for quite a few of our picks to end up on waivers or practice squads...
    I think moving up to #13 from #17 would take a 3rd and a 5th (maybe 2 5ths) and would be well worth doing. Move ahead of the Boys, Eagles & Jets for Kuechly or Barron one of which is likely to be there. These 2 I think some are realizing are better than where they will ultimately go and either would be a big, big help for the Bengals IMO. Though I do know it's a stretch but if Zimmer steps up and says hey these guys are big time difference makers and will make a big enough impact that losing a 3rd won't be missed I think there's a chance it could happen.

And for Zona, they move down acquire picks and most likely still take the guy they would have at #13, Reiff.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bengals schedule is out 3 nights games including the first Monday night game at Baltimore.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?team=CIN

Sea, I agree 100% in that they have no value if they're trying to move up in the 1st round. However, I think the chart shows they have some value if they're trying to move up in the 2nd and decent value in the 3rd & 4th round.

10 picks is nice, but as majio points out, 10 rookies aren't going to make this squad. There are always a couple of players that fall for unknown reasons that could give them good value in the 3rd round by packaging 2 5s and their own 3rd if they can get near the top of the 3rd round. I also like mario's proposal of packaging a 3rd, 5th & 1st to move up in the 1st.

The Bengals have the ammo to move up in the draft should they decide. Its doubtful any potential deal would come down to two 5th round picks, plus a swap of same round picks, but a combination of picks from different rounds could ensure they get their man rather than settling for what's left when their name is called.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Sea, I agree 100% in that they have no value if they're trying to move up in the 1st round. However, I think the chart shows they have some value if they're trying to move up in the 2nd and decent value in the 3rd & 4th round.

10 picks is nice, but as majio points out, 10 rookies aren't going to make this squad. There are always a couple of players that fall for unknown reasons that could give them good value in the 3rd round by packaging 2 5s and their own 3rd if they can get near the top of the 3rd round. I also like mario's proposal of packaging a 3rd, 5th & 1st to move up in the 1st.

The Bengals have the ammo to move up in the draft should they decide. Its doubtful any potential deal would come down to two 5th round picks, plus a swap of same round picks, but a combination of picks from different rounds could ensure they get their man rather than settling for what's left when their name is called.
    Actually it was me that mentioned that ten rookies won't make it:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I can't see ten rookies making the team so I'd like to see some wheeling and dealing on draft day but I'm not getting my hopes up. Expect very little movement on the part of the Bengals and look for quite a few of our picks to end up on waivers or practice squads...
    And just to set the record straight, we don't have a 7th rd pick so I should have said 9 picks.

My guess is if the Bengals trade any 2012 picks, it'll be to pickup picks next yr. I'm not expecting anything as creative as what you've described but I'd love to be ... come draft weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Bengals schedule is out 3 nights games including the first Monday night game at Baltimore.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule?team=CIN
    My super early predictions;

Mon. Sept. 10 at Baltimore 7 p.m. - Loss
    Sun. Sept. 16 CLEVELAND 1 p.m. - Win
    Sun. Sept. 23 at Washington 1 p.m. - Win
    Sun. Sept. 30 at Jacksonville 4:05 p.m. - Win
    Sun. Oct. 7 MIAMI 1 p.m. - Win
    Sun. Oct. 14 at Cleveland 1 p.m. - Win
    Sun. Oct. 21 PITTSBURGH 8:20 p.m. - Loss
    --BYE--
    Sun.Nov. 4 DENVER1 p.m.- Win
    Sun. Nov. 11 N.Y. GIANTS 1 p.m. - Loss
    Sun.Nov. 18 at Kansas City*1 p.m. - Win
    Sun.Nov. 25 OAKLAND*1 p.m. - Win
    Sun.Dec. 2 at San Diego*4:15 p.m. - Loss
    Sun.Dec. 9 DALLAS*1 p.m.- Loss
    Thu.Dec. 13 at Philadelphia8:20 p.m. - Loss
    Sun.Dec. 23 at Pittsburgh*1 p.m. - Loss
    Sun.Dec. 30 BALTIMORE*1 p.m. - Win

Total 9-7.

In the wild card hunt. The back half of the schedule is absolutely brutal.

Mike Mayock breaks down the numbers. Want to put this link here for future reference mainly. But many might enjoy understanding what combine/pro day numbers are used for and what is good and bad. The position drills are explained as well, good stuff.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Knowing full well that the Bengals will probably prove me a fool for having high expectations once again, I'll still have a go at it...

--BYE--
    Sun.Nov. 4 DENVER1 p.m.- Loss
    Sun. Nov. 11 N.Y. GIANTS 1 p.m. - Win
    Sun.Dec. 9 DALLAS*1 p.m.- Win
    Sun.Dec. 23 at Pittsburgh*1 p.m. - Win

11-5. The 9-7 prediction is probably more likely. I could see '12 being the slight regression year that many surprisingly good teams and then '13 being the year the Bengals are primed to make a serious run at a Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Knowing full well that the Bengals will probably prove me a fool for having high expectations once again, I'll still have a go at it...

--BYE--
    Sun.Nov. 4 DENVER1 p.m.- Loss
    Sun. Nov. 11 N.Y. GIANTS 1 p.m. - Win
    Sun.Dec. 9 DALLAS*1 p.m.- Win
    Sun.Dec. 23 at Pittsburgh*1 p.m. - Win

11-5. The 9-7 prediction is probably more likely. I could see '12 being the slight regression year that many surprisingly good teams and then '13 being the year the Bengals are primed to make a serious run at a Super Bowl.
    They better get off to a good start, because the backend of the schedule is BRUTAL.

If they start any worse than 5-1 their playoff hopes are crushed.

I think 21 is the spot they need to trade out of. Either trade up or down. Assuming DeCastro is there and the pick at 17, there is no one I love for the value at 21. Either trade up to 13 (from 21) and draft Barron or Floyd or trade down to the end of the first round and draft guys like Stephen Hill, Ruben Randle, or maybe even Janoris Jenkins.

I wonder what it would cost to trade up to 13 from 21? I'd give a 3rd rounder and maybe a 3rd or 4th in 2013. I would not do it for a 2nd rounder, I'd rather trade down with that pick.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-19-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If they start any worse than 5-1 their playoff hopes are crushed.

I think 21 is the spot they need to trade out of. Either trade up or down. Assuming DeCastro is there and the pick at 17, there is no one I love for the value at 21. Either trade up to 13 (from 21) and draft Barron or Floyd or trade down to the end of the first round and draft guys like Stephen Hill, Ruben Randle, or maybe even Janoris Jenkins.

I wonder what it would cost to trade up to 13 from 21? I'd give a 3rd rounder and maybe a 3rd or 4th in 2013. I would not do it for a 2nd rounder, I'd rather trade down with that pick.
    Really, I think that area is pretty strong actually.

--Woody Hayes

I think they need to beat the Ravens and start 6-0. They could plausibly lose the last ten games.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

If they're going to be a playoff team, they'll have to win some of those last games. Starting 6-1 is a tall order in the NFL and if they fall a little short, I won't give up on them. They will have to play better than last yr if they are to contend for the playoffs

Oakland @ Cincy anyone have a spare ticket to provide some color to the game .
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I think some of you are giving the NFC East way too much credit. That was a pretty mediocre division last year.

Ric Gosselin is a writer that used to do a ton of work in the draft. He is not a scout but pretty well connected to front office folks around the leagues. His mocks are highly rated every year. He isn't able to do draft work any more but did throw out some interesting info:

I made some call over the weekends and there are 6 blue chippers and 22 first rounder caliber guys in this draft. So I don’t mind don’t mind trading down a couple of spots from 14 to 18, but I don’t drop back all the way back to 25. The problem is there isn’t a difference between the 25th, 35th and 45th pick in this draft. There’s not going to be a whole lot of trading up or down after 20. I think need will come into play. You know, I thought this would be a better pass rush group, but they all have a ding.

Well, let’s go over some of the DL and you tell me their ding….

Poe?
    Underachiever. 2nd Team Conference USA

Coples ?
    Motor doesn’t always run. Julius Peppers ability, but doesn’t always show on the field.

Brockers?
    5.0+ 40 yard dash, and strictly a run player. He might be a dominating run player, but you won’t get pass rush from him. I’m also worried about LSU defensive linemen. Dorsey and Jackson have been underachievers.

Cox?
    The first DL to go. He’ll be gone by 10 or 11.

Kuechly, Barron, and DeCastro are walk on starters who could be in the Pro Bowl in 3 years, but they just play non premium positions.

The trade movement will be for Tannehill because he’s going in the Top 10. A team might try to jump ahead of Miami. I don’t see anyone trading up for Barron or DeCastro, maybe for Kuechly because he’s the safest player in the draft. In most drafts I’ve done I see 8 or 9 blue chippers, but I don’t have that in this draft.

Do you believe in Tannehill?
    I believe in the need for the position. Look at Locker and Ponder last year. He would be a great guy to draft behind Favre and groom him for a couple of years. He’s not ready to play right away. He’s like Gabbert, who wasn’t ready to play last year. If you draft him and develop him for a couple of years, he could be fine. But if you draft him Top 10 and want him to play him right away, I don’t think you’re going to like what you see.
    I would be thrilled with Barron or Decastro in the first, I think Kuelchy is gone by the time we get to him. I want the Bengals to take a guy who can play right away and contribute.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Turn Off Ads?