Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 350

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

  1. #331
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Yes, but Ahmad Brooks was not highly drafted. He was taken in the supplemental draft as a result of character issues. The Bengals took the chance and the Niners reaped the benefit. I realize this is a common tale in the NFL, but I'd like to see the Bengals reap the benefit of the risk they're taking in a guy like Burfict.
    Sea Ray's correct, while it was the supplemental draft, taking him in the 3rd round of that draft cost them the 3rd round pick the next year.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #332
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Sea Ray's correct, while it was the supplemental draft, taking him in the 3rd round of that draft cost them the 3rd round pick the next year.
    I'm aware of that. I guess when I think of "highly drafted" I think of a guy that has the normal pedigree of a highly rated draft pick, not a guy that was kicked off his team and forced to go into the supplemental draft. Every NFL team had at least two chances to take the guy and didn't. Besides, the round of the draft pick doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. There's no doubt the Bengals absorbed some heavy risk when they chose Brooks. On top of the normal chance of a draft bust, there was also the chance that Brooks' off field issues could derail his career even if he succeeded on the field. As Bengals fans, we're all too familiar with that narrative. Given the increased risk the Bengals took on in selecting him, it would have been nice to see them reap some benefit while he was with the Bengals. Here's a guy that not only found success in the NFL on the field, but also avoided derailing his career with his alleged character issues. I'm glad that happened; I just wish it happened for the team that took a chance on him.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  4. #333
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,152

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I'm aware of that. I guess when I think of "highly drafted" I think of a guy that has the normal pedigree of a highly rated draft pick, not a guy that was kicked off his team and forced to go into the supplemental draft. Every NFL team had at least two chances to take the guy and didn't. Besides, the round of the draft pick doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. There's no doubt the Bengals absorbed some heavy risk when they chose Brooks. On top of the normal chance of a draft bust, there was also the chance that Brooks' off field issues could derail his career even if he succeeded on the field. As Bengals fans, we're all too familiar with that narrative. Given the increased risk the Bengals took on in selecting him, it would have been nice to see them reap some benefit while he was with the Bengals. Here's a guy that not only found success in the NFL on the field, but also avoided derailing his career with his alleged character issues. I'm glad that happened; I just wish it happened for the team that took a chance on him.
    That's true Wolfboy. I think in general the Bengals have done better at signing "reclamation projects" as opposed to drafting the guys who's value had fallen due to off the field issues. Although the 2005 draft probably skews any analysis.
    But in terms of guys who have been signed after flaming out with the original team, you're looking at Ced Benson, Tank Johnson, Adam Jones, and others have all at the very least contributed to the Bengals with very little in the way of a bad apple having additional issues.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #334
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    My point is that given the loss of the 3rd rd pick, A. Brooks represented much more risk than Burfict does here

  6. #335
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,677

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My point is that given the loss of the 3rd rd pick, A. Brooks represented much more risk than Burfict does here
    I agree.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  7. #336
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,539

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I agree.
    Yeah, I think we've been on the same page on this all along...

  8. #337
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    One thing I’ve noticed of late about the Bengals is that they like to stockpile 1st round picks like Jim Bowden.

    This offseason they have signed Terrance Newman (#3, 2001), Derrick Harvey (#8, 2008), Jamaal Anderson (#8, 2007), and Jason Allen (#16, 2006). The last couple of offseasons produced Nate Clements (#21, 2001), Manny Lawson (#22, 2006), Reggie Nelson (#21, 2007), and Adam “Pac Man” Jones (#6, 2005). And let’s not forget the currently unsigned Cedric Benson (#4, 2005) and Kelly Jennings (#31, 2006).

    Combine those eight currently on the roster with the Bengals own 1st round picks (6): Leon Hall (#18, 2007), Andre Smith (#6, 2009), Jermaine Gresham (#21, 2010), A.J. Green (#4, 2011), Dre Kirkpatrick (#17, 2012), and Kevin Zeitler (#27, 2012) and the Bengals have 14 former 1st round picks on their roster. That’s possibly a quarter of their opening day roster. If only it would have worked out with Keith Rivers (#9, 2008).

    Mix in all this talent with some later round hits, some coaching up, add a little luck, and that could be just the recipe for this team to go far in 2012.

  9. #338
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    890

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Backup Guard Jacob Bell retires a month after signing with the Bengals.
    Choo got it, dude.

  10. #339
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  11. #340
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    You make even $5-10 million and that's plenty to retire on if you're prudent. Why risk it at at that point?

    Will be really interesting if you have more guys making this decision. Football is already a young man's game, might become even more so.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  12. #341
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    792

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Let's face it, had Jacob Bell signed for $5 million and not the league minimum, he'd still be playing football this year.

  13. #342
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,125

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You make even $5-10 million and that's plenty to retire on if you're prudent. Why risk it at at that point?

    Will be really interesting if you have more guys making this decision. Football is already a young man's game, might become even more so.
    While not wanting to disect a NFL players lifestlye I agree with you. I also agree with riverrat when he said that had Bell not had his salary chopped in half and was playing for $5M a year he probably still is playing.

    If any NFL player decides to retire early because he is set for life and wants to avoid further physical contact I applaud them. I do think that we have reached a peak to say with the Seau issues. I hope that any football player took to heart what happened but also realized that he could have had an nonfootball related mental illness that thousands of people suffer with in America.

  14. #343
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Let's face it, had Jacob Bell signed for $5 million and not the league minimum, he'd still be playing football this year.
    I think Bell himself said something similar. He still turned down what, 800-900k? Decent chunk of money.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  15. #344
    My clutch is broken RichRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    3,869

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    The Bengals franchise turned 45 yesterday. Happy birthday!

    http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/23...th-a-franchise
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

  16. #345
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    There are some hideous helmet designs in that picture. Hideous.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25