Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    A little surprised the Bengals haven't signed anyone yet in FA. even a second- tier player would send a message.
    Are you really surprised? This is the Bengals after all.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

I heard on the radio they're talking to BenJarvus Green-Ellis.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'm not a big fan of going big in free agency. The desperate teams are overpaying early on and getting the biggest names available.

From what I've heard we'll have Green-Ellis and Michael Bush visiting soon, and maybe that Newman CB from Dallas. I'd like Newman for depth and a reunion with Zimmer, and of those two backs I'd rather have Bush.

Aaron Ross is also reportedly visiting. I'd rather have him than Newman and Bush over Green-Ellis (though the former's YPC drop concerns me).

Bengals have reportedly lost Jonathon Fanene and Frostee Rucker to the Pats and Browns.

What's the situation with Matt Forte? I know his contract situation was talked about a lot during the season and I'd love to see The Bengals make a run at him.

Do The Bears still have the ability to franchise him?
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Bengals have reportedly lost Jonathon Fanene and Frostee Rucker to the Pats and Browns.
    The Bengals boards are blowing up. It's hilarious.

Anyways, Kendall Langford is visiting tomorrow.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Nice players, guys who do well when played the right amount, but two guys I am not going to lose sleep over.

It's kind of disconcerting that with as much cap room as the Bengals have that they seemingly haven't reached out to some of the bigger name free agents. Carl Nicks would have been a great fit, he's relatively young and would have seemingly allowed the club to use their first rounder picks to address other needs.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Nice players, guys who do well when played the right amount, but two guys I am not going to lose sleep over.
    I won't miss Rucker. I thought Fanane was great.

I won't miss Rucker. I thought Fanane was great.
    Yeah Reedy tweeted that Zimmer was steamed the Bengals didn't resign him especially when he did not want to leave. Rucker was more of a plug and play guy that can be replaced through the draft easily.

Bengals said the plan was to keep their guys and to try and see how the market shakes out for mid tier free agents. So far I am pretty disappointed with this offseason as they really haven't made a move to keep anyone other than special teamers and a long snapper. However I have grown used to it over the last 30 yrs.

Don't know how Brown plans to put fans in the seats operating like this. If he doesn't get the message after last season he never will. Even Buffalo is trying to make a splash.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

So what's Brown trying to achieve here? Next year, he has to spend to the cap. So what's he going to do, resign all these young players to extensions and than sign some second-tier free agents to over inflated contracts?

Look, I'm not claiming to be an expert on NFL contracts. And I don't want the Bengals to be the Redskins and "win" every March. But I just can't help to think Brown is completely over his head again here. He's always been a bargain shopper. But, especially with the new CBA, those days are over. And not to mention, the talent he'll eventually bring in won't be as good as the talent that it's replacing.

Seriously the twitterverse of Bengals fans was all honked off yesterday over Fanane and Rucker. Both are solid, but average. In baseball terms they are Joe Randas. There are other players that are actually better out there. They have an entire draft coming up with 9 picks. They will be ok.

As for the handwringing over Nelson, he is also a dead average safety. Now I know that the position has been such a blackhole for the last decade that average looks good, but seriously how many times did you have to see Nelson out of position on runs, and passes, costing the Bengals D huge gains. Yes bring him back if you can, but lets not pretend that he was some All pro level player. He was just to the right of the middle of the safety play bell curve.

Gotta remember that in January and February, that the Bengals will need cap space to give huge extensions to Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Gresham. Those players will take up huge chunks. They are being relatively paid peanuts right now. Quick make a list of more valuable receivers in the league than AJ Green. The list is Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald, and ???. Those two above Green are being paid $120 million dollar deals.

Gotta lock the kids up.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Seriously the twitterverse of Bengals fans was all honked off yesterday over Fanane and Rucker. Both are solid, but average. In baseball terms they are Joe Randas. There are other players that are actually better out there. They have an entire draft coming up with 9 picks. They will be ok.

As for the handwringing over Nelson, he is also a dead average safety. Now I know that the position has been such a blackhole for the last decade that average looks good, but seriously how many times did you have to see Nelson out of position on runs, and passes, costing the Bengals D huge gains. Yes bring him back if you can, but lets not pretend that he was some All pro level player. He was just to the right of the middle of the safety play bell curve.

Gotta remember that in January and February, that the Bengals will need cap space to give huge extensions to Dalton, Green, Atkins, and Gresham. Those players will take up huge chunks. They are being relatively paid peanuts right now. Quick make a list of more valuable receivers in the league than AJ Green. The list is Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald, and ???. Those two above Green are being paid $120 million dollar deals.

Gotta lock the kids up.
    Green and Dalton are locked up through 2015. They are cheap. What am I missing? Now would be the time to spend money, while they ARE cheap. Gresham is signed through 2014, Atkins through 2013. None of them can go anywhere for 2 years, minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxilon View Post
    So what's Brown trying to achieve here? Next year, he has to spend to the cap. So what's he going to do, resign all these young players to extensions and than sign some second-tier free agents to over inflated contracts?

Look, I'm not claiming to be an expert on NFL contracts. And I don't want the Bengals to be the Redskins and "win" every March. But I just can't help to think Brown is completely over his head again here. He's always been a bargain shopper. But, especially with the new CBA, those days are over. And not to mention, the talent he'll eventually bring in won't be as good as the talent that it's replacing.
    There was an article a number of years ago about the impact of the top free agents in NFL history. The list was short and the impact of a lot of the major guys in free agency is kinda meh. Most of the teams keep their good and great players locked up until their productive days are ending. It may change with rookie contracts being only 4 years now but I don't see that happening as much.

I wanted to Bengals to make a run at Vincent Jackson, but not at what he signed for. The key would be to getting a true #2 WR and sign Green longterm. Most teams have been successful building via the draft and even with trades. Free Agency has been fools gold.

Turn Off Ads?