Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Assuming DeCastro is taken before 17, how would you rate this mock?

R1, 17 - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
    R1, 21 - David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech
    R2, 53 - Brandon Brooks, G, Miami (OH)
    R3, 83 - Marvin Jones, WR, Cal
    R4, 116 - Terrell Manning, LB, N.C. State
    R5, 156 - Jae Howard, DT, Florida
    R5, 166 - George Bryan, TE, N.C. State
    R6, 191 - Scott Wedige, C, Northern Illinois

Note: If by some chance he does fall to us, I have Gilmore at 21, Brian Quick in the 2nd, and Isaiah Pead in the 3rd. Everything else remains the same.
    I like Gilmore but I think Wilson is a reach at 21 and Brooks a slight reach in the 2nd the rest are ok but not ideal IMO.

Given the recent minor moves by the club (and the fact I expect some re-signings yet namely Lee, Simpson & Brandon Johnson) I am leaning more towards this:

#17 - Mark Barron - S - Bama
    #21 - Stephon Gilmore - CB - S.C.
    2nd - Kelechi Osemele - OG - Iowa State
    3rd - Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State
    4th - Michael Calvin - WR - Cal
    5th - Keenan Robinson - OLB - Texas
    5th - Loni Fangupo - DT - BYU
    6th - Emil Igwenagu - FB - UMass

If Barron, DeCastro & Kuechly are all gone which is likely I go this route:

#17 - Stephon Gilmore - CB - S.C.
    #21 - Cordy Glenn - OG/OT - UGA
    2nd - Trumaine Johnson - S - Montana
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 04-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Draft sleepers:

NFL.com Link

Michael Calvin, WR, California (6-3, 210): Though he caught just 42 passes in four years, Calvin's overall workout would've made headlines had he done it on television at the combine: 4.34 40, 40 1/2-inch vertical, 11-1 broad jump, 4.09 short shuttle, 6.70 three-cone.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I like Gilmore but I think Wilson is a reach at 21 and Brooks a slight reach in the 2nd the rest are ok but not ideal IMO.

Given the recent minor moves by the club (and the fact I expect some re-signings yet namely Lee, Simpson & Brandon Johnson) I am leaning more towards this:

#21 - Stephon Gilmore - CB - S.C.
    2nd - Kelechi Osemele - OG - Iowa State

If Barron, DeCastro & Kuechly are all gone which is likely I go this route:

#17 - Stephon Gilmore - CB - S.C.
    #21 - Cordy Glenn - OG/OT - UGA
    2nd - Trumaine Johnson - S - Montana

You think they want Simpson back? This guy can still barely learn a playbook....even simplified and disappears in games.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I think Wilson is a reach at 21
    Any RB in the 1st not named Richardson will be a reach, I'm just higher on Wilson than most people. He won't be there in the 2nd, though, and neither will Miller.

Brooks a slight reach in the 2nd
    That's where he's projected. He's the biggest, most powerful G in the entire draft. Of course you take him if he's there.

I wouldn't mind this pick, but recent mocks have Barron gone before 17. Smith is the only other S I would bother looking at, but again he's another talent that likely won't be there in the 2nd, unless you trade up.

Lots of people seem to be high on Turbin, but he's already had two knee surgeries, he isn't very dynamic, and he runs a high 4. I'd rather draft for speed, but that's just me.

With Simpson/Caldwell both gone, and Shipley's health being a concern, I'm not sure I would wait that long to draft Green's counterpart.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I expect a WR and CB in the 1st round and a OG in the 2nd this year for the Bengals.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Crocker released after a nice run at safety, we could be looking at Mays starting next season or Barron in the 1st. Jacob Bell signed to back up at guard, hopefully.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

If they try to pass up on DeCastro or Glenn and go for some developmental Guard...... it's going be the same BS again. I would not want Alexander developing anything to due with a Guard. The guy is the remaining stench from the early 90's and cannot develop OL really at all. For every Braham there are tons of others that he could not develop. He plays Boling at RG when he is more suited for LG. He would rather have "Big maulers"....as if that means they can actually run block. Mathis was better than what they had but Alexander wanted that mauler who blew and then Mathis goes to Philly and is graded a Top 5 Guard for last year.

He likes Roland but the guy is terrible and he cannot develop him or coach him up. Instead of letting Collins be at RT ...which is what he does best....he wants to move him around. He likes to move people around instead of just sticking to what they do best at the particular place on the OL. Center? Forget it.... they think that is where the fat kid goes to hike the ball in flag football. Gutcheck and now Cook... sure Cook is better but that is like saying Crocker was better than Dexter Jackson at Safety.

They have a chance with DD to get a Guard that you leave alone and let him lead the other side of the line. But no..... they need a WR, whom they could get in the 2nd at almost same value as a WR in the late 1st...... which you would not get in a Guard in the 2nd round in comparison to DeCastro.

Now if he is not there..... go with the best CB and then get Glenn in the 21st...... as he could even play RT if Smith decides to only play when he has a contract year, which I would not doubt.

Besides that all you have is developmental guys at Guard and Alexander is not a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You think they want Simpson back? This guy can still barely learn a playbook....even simplified and disappears in games.
    Personally I would, I think they should heavily consider it. Whats the alternative? Floyd, Wright, someone who needs even more development time than Simpson does later in the draft? Is a rookie likely to out play Simpson next year? I doubt it. And even if they do can they keep it up beyond a rookie year? As the 2nd WR last year in his 1st year starting he had what was at one time a typical Darnay Scott type of year who was a decent #2 WR himself. He's still young, he's still has upside and although wasn't consistent he did produce I think it would be a wise move to bring him back for at least one more season.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Any RB in the 1st not named Richardson will be a reach, I'm just higher on Wilson than most people. He won't be there in the 2nd, though, and neither will Miller.
    Lots of people seem to be high on Turbin, but he's already had two knee surgeries, he isn't very dynamic, and he runs a high 4. I'd rather draft for speed, but that's just me.
    I understand why you'd want a home run hitter but Wilson has some pretty serious ball security issues. That's an issue coaches & F.O. types don't just overlook. I don't think it's a given he's taken before we pick in the 2nd. Miller probably will go before we pick but as much as I'd too like someone capable of big plays I'm not willing to reach for them, no one is that sure a thing in my mind. Turbin is a good back and likely to be available later for those previous injury reasons but what I like about him is he is already a good pass catcher he is more developed & more developable pass blocking and he is capable of being a starting back. And he runs plenty well enough for his size. What happens if BJGE goes down? If that happens I don't know Bernard is ready to carry the load, not sure he ever will be real effective as a starter.

That's where he's projected. He's the biggest, most powerful G in the entire draft. Of course you take him if he's there.
    Well he may be projected there but that doesn't necessarily mean he is worth it. Part of the issue with him is his size, conditioning is a concern. He isn't a great athlete either and you put those 2 things together along with the fact he isn't considered a real aggressive type and to me that has the makings of a 3rd round pick, I don't think he goes before the 3rd. I'd still have interest in the guy but I'd not have it there, Osemele (amongst others) seems like a better choice that early.

I wouldn't mind this pick, but recent mocks have Barron gone before 17. Smith is the only other S I would bother looking at, but again he's another talent that likely won't be there in the 2nd, unless you trade up.
    There are plenty of intriguing guys for the position sprinkled thoughout the draft. Trumaine Johnson and DeQuan Menzie are a couple I like. Barron though is a guy that I think the Bengals probably would consider BPA should he drop and believe they will take him over most any. I suspect your right though he will probably go before they pick.

With Simpson/Caldwell both gone, and Shipley's health being a concern, I'm not sure I would wait that long to draft Green's counterpart.
    I don't know the Bengals are concerned all that much about Shipley, though it's a fair point I suppose. Simpson isn't yet gone, in fact as I pointed out in my post I still expect him to return. Probably after the draft unless Floyd drops to them, which is possible I suppose. But if it were me I'd sign Jerome now.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I expect a WR and CB in the 1st round and a OG in the 2nd this year for the Bengals.
    I do think if Barron doesn't drop to them the most likely scenario knowing the Bengals would be this. I just kind of hope we don't. It's my WR bias talking a bit I guess because the 2 most likely available WR's (Floyd & Wright) I actually don't have a problem with. I can see how either could help. There is a part of me though that hopes if they really want one high they take that player in the 1st because I am not a fan of Jeffrey, Sanu and the like in the 2nd.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Crocker released after a nice run at safety, we could be looking at Mays starting next season or Barron in the 1st. Jacob Bell signed to back up at guard, hopefully.
    I hope it's not Mays, I can't see how that doesn't end up hurting us early in the season.

As far as Bell goes, I think he is probably a starting OG going into the season. I don't believe they even want to take an OG (at least not before round 4) and they will use the excuse that they just signed 2 to go along with Boling and to a lesser extent Hudson. They'll say they expect Boling to compete for a starting job, probably at RG. And then they will stick Bell at RG to start the season because Boling still isn't bending at the knees and is giving up too much leverage making him ineffective. Then what they should do is start Bell at LG and Wharton at RG where they are both beteer suited for. But since Wharton got a bigger deal he'll stay at LG and they will pound the round peg (Bell) into the square hole (RG). Again giving us an interior OL that isn't quite up to par.

Our only hope is that Otis Hudson lives up to his talent level (which he does have) finally and takes a starting job right out of the gate. Unfortunately he too will be miscast as he is a better LG prospect as well but he'd likely be an upgrade at RG over anyone but Wharton. The other thing is that Boling gets stronger and plays with better leverage, then maybe we can run the ball a bit.

--Woody Hayes

All these guards on the roster lead me to feel that they are leaning away from Glenn and Decastro in the first. I definitely think they go corner (Gilmore at 21) with one of the picks the other remains a bit of a mystery right now. I think they will wait to see who falls to them at 17, and take BPA.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

All these guards on the roster lead me to feel that they are leaning away from Glenn and Decastro in the first. I definitely think they go corner (Gilmore at 21) with one of the picks the other remains a bit of a mystery right now. I think they will wait to see who falls to them at 17, and take BPA.
    You're out of your mind if you think they would pass up DeCastro if he is there at 17.....and so are they if they do.

I agree, not sure they were ever that high on him to begin with. They actually seem quite obsessed with the pass rush so I look for pick #17 to be a DL now that Okoye has signed with Tampa Bay. They (Marvin) have talked up Upshaw, both he and Brockers are rumored to have visited this week. Also have visited with Ernest Owusu DE Cal.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You're out of your mind if you think they would pass up DeCastro if he is there at 17.....and so are they if they do.
    Why wouldn't they, they have passed on every OG they have ever came across in the 1st round. HoF's abound and they have never touched one.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?