Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    So you didn't like the AJ Green pick?

I'm hoping for DeCastro at 17 but feel he will be gone. Same for Luke Kuechly. Others I like in the first: Gilmore, Barron, Hill, Kirkpatrick, Glenn
    Didn't like the AJ Green pick at the time. Thought the Bengals had holes all over its squad, but I also didn't realize how good Green was. The thing with WR's is they tend to turn into divas early on and also a high price for a position that depends on several other factors to be successful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hated the Green pick. Hated. Man I am stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I hated the Green pick. Hated. Man I am stupid.
    I wasn't so sure either. Sometimes I love being wrong.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I didn't love the Green pick either, until they drafted Andy Dalton to go along with it, and thought it was a great combination of picks to move this team forward. The team had so many holes last season, they almost couldn't have gone wrong, but to nail home runs on their 1st two picks was huge for this franchise. For a team that drafted so poorly in the 90s, they've really nailed their drafts since the turn of the century more or less (05 & 08 were real crappers, while in '04 looks weak thans to the Chris Perry signing, but is made up for in solid depth provided by Williams and Geathers)

This year's draft, I'm zoning into 4 spots that I think need immediate boosts, if they can find answers as solidly as they did last year for 3 of these spots thru the 1st 3 rounds, they'll be in good shape. Gaurd, WR, RB, CB. Ideally, I'd love to see them land a Gaurd/CB combo in the 1st, a RB in the 2nd or 3rd and best available at the other spot in the 2nd or 3rd. However, I keep having the feeling that a WR is coming off the board at 17 or 21. I probably won't like it at the time, but a speedster opposite Green w/ Jordan Shipley and Greshman filling in holes underneath could open this offense a ton. I may not "love" it at the time, when it happens, but I might love the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I didn't love the Green pick either, until they drafted Andy Dalton to go along with it, and thought it was a great combination of picks to move this team forward. The team had so many holes last season, they almost couldn't have gone wrong, but to nail home runs on their 1st two picks was huge for this franchise. For a team that drafted so poorly in the 90s, they've really nailed their drafts since the turn of the century more or less (05 & 08 were real crappers, while in '04 looks weak thans to the Chris Perry signing, but is made up for in solid depth provided by Williams and Geathers)

This year's draft, I'm zoning into 4 spots that I think need immediate boosts, if they can find answers as solidly as they did last year for 3 of these spots thru the 1st 3 rounds, they'll be in good shape. Gaurd, WR, RB, CB. Ideally, I'd love to see them land a Gaurd/CB combo in the 1st, a RB in the 2nd or 3rd and best available at the other spot in the 2nd or 3rd. However, I keep having the feeling that a WR is coming off the board at 17 or 21. I probably won't like it at the time, but a speedster opposite Green w/ Jordan Shipley and Greshman filling in holes underneath could open this offense a ton. I may not "love" it at the time, when it happens, but I might love the end result.
    The only WR I want at 17 is Floyd. If he's gone, hopefully either Barron, DeCastro, or Gilmore will be available.

I don't think there is much value for the Bengals at 21. I'd prefer to see them trade out of that spot.
    Go BLUE!!!

Gilmore is flying up the draft board, no way he gets past 10. My thoughts are on a roll tide draft with the Bengals getting Upshaw and Kirkpatrick with their first two picks. Then you could see them go to WR in the second or RB depending on BPA.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Personally I think their biggest hole is now Safety. If Taylor Mays starts the season at SS they are in trouble and will lose a few games figuring out he cannot cover a lick. The guy has the lateral movement of a LB and not even a good LB, we're talking ILB Brandon Spikes and he is a 2 down guy. It's not ideal at WR and OG perhaps but there are guys already on the roster who could be serviceable. RB is sort of a luxury pick in a way, they can get by with what they have there. DT depth is a must as well. DE will probably also get picked somewhere just because "you can never have enough pass rushers".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm starting to see a few more mocks that have the Bengals taking a defensive lineman with one of their #1s.

The Bengals have done a pretty good job of drafting ever since Marvin took control. I really don't have a problem with the Perry draft since he went down with an injury. The 05 draft could have been the best in team history with playmakers taken in the 2nd and 3rd. The problem was a significant amount of risk that ended up back firing. The 08 draft wasn't that awful, was it? They had contributors in Sims, Simpson, Caldwell and Collins. It was a draft that added depth, nothing special, but depth. Every team needs players like those guys, just not taken with high picks.

As I type this I guess I have different standars for drafts. Its all about making the right picks and picks that make sense. You can't really fault a team for picking Perry and Pollack when injuries derailed their careers.

S, OG, CB, LB, WR are all positions of need for me. I hope they don't reach for a WR or RB and take on that falls to them.

Looks like Simpson will be suspended for three games:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/...d-three-games/

I really hope the Bengals pass on the guy.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Part of me wants the Bengals to draft for the secondary and maybe a guard..... the other half wants to see us move up, grab Richardson, and have a pretty cool offensive team.

I think the smart move would be to grab a G and S/CB... and maybe a LB later on.

Give me Floyd and a Defensive Lineman.

Seems like the top corners will be off the board, Kirkpatrick will probably still be there, but he is a bigger corner and the Bengals need a guy that is more of speedster to match up on slot guys.

DeCastro will be gone, and from the sounds of it, the Bengals aren't enamored with Glenn in the first round.

I see the defensive linemen dropping. I haven't really looked at Coples, Poe, or Ingram. I didn't think they would be there. Coples has the label as not having a motor, Poe is a workout warrior, and Ingram has the dreaded short arms label.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

nm
    Last edited by bucksfan2; 04-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Ah yes, the NFL Draft. The media spectacle that brings out "experts" who make huge amounts of cash being wrong most of the time. I love how the Mel Kiper, Jr. types cover their bases now by releasing 100 mock drafts, just so they can claim they got it right when a team picks just about any warm body.

I take a wait and see attitude. We'll see who the Bengals draft when they take them and we'll know how well it went for them in about 2-3 seasons.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?