Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Looks like Simpson is headed to the Vikings
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

2. Turn Off Ads?

Updated wish list:

FIRST ROUND
    1. Trent Richardson (obviously he'll be gone but he is so far ahead of everyone else I had to include him)
    2. Justin Blackmon (he will also be gone although his stock may be slipping a bit)
    3. Mark Barron
    4. Michael Floyd
    5. David DeCastro
    6. Luke Kuechly
    7. Stephon Gilmore
    (gap)
    8. Cordy Glenn
    9. Michael Brockers
    10. Courtney Upshaw
    11. Dre Kirkpatrick
    12. Stephen Hill
    (tie) Reuben Randle

SECOND ROUND
    1. Reuben Randle
    2. Doug Martin
    3. Janoris Jenkins
    4. Kevin Zeitler
    (gap)
    5. Alshon Jeffery
    6. Peter Konz
    7. Lamar Miller
    8. David Wilson
    9. Harrison Smith
    10. LaMichael James

THIRD ROUND (assuming no RB drafted)
    1. LaMichael James
    2. Isaiah Pead
    3. Amini Silatoulu (I love Samoan guards- could be the next Iupati)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Ah yes, the NFL Draft. The media spectacle that brings out "experts" who make huge amounts of cash being wrong most of the time. I love how the Mel Kiper, Jr. types cover their bases now by releasing 100 mock drafts, just so they can claim they got it right when a team picks just about any warm body.

I take a wait and see attitude. We'll see who the Bengals draft when they take them and we'll know how well it went for them in about 2-3 seasons.
    It feels weird saying this, there's a small part of me that misses the Bengals drafts of the pre-Marvin era. You didn't have to wait 2-3 seasons to judge. You knew they screwed it up the day after the draft (if not earlier). Anyone remember the Sean Brewer pick?

From Wikipedia, the home of unquestionable truth:

Brewer was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the third round (66th overall) in the 2001 NFL Draft. However shortly after being drafted by the Bengals, it was discovered that Brewer had a three-pack-a-day cigarette addiction. As a rookie, Brewer did not see any game action.
    I don't care who you are, that's just funny (but only in retrospect....man was it painful at the time).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I understand this year's draft is loaded with WR talent, but the Bengals absolutely should consider drafting one in the 1st. They desperately need another receiver to complement Green, now more than ever. Simpson and Caldwell are both gone, Shipley is coming off a knee injury, Tate sucks, Hawkins is too small, Binns was a practice squad reject, Whalen has caught 4 passes...blah, blah, blah. If you honestly think it would be ideal to wait until the 4th-5th (all three 5s are practically in the 6th anyways) round for your future #2, then I have nothing to say to you.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 04-24-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    It feels weird saying this, there's a small part of me that misses the Bengals drafts of the pre-Marvin era. You didn't have to wait 2-3 seasons to judge. You knew they screwed it up the day after the draft (if not earlier). Anyone remember the Sean Brewer pick?

From Wikipedia, the home of unquestionable truth:

I don't care who you are, that's just funny (but only in retrospect....man was it painful at the time).
    I do remember that. Almost as bad as drafting Johnny Oliver first round only to find out he had night-blindness. Going cheap costs you in the long run, no matter what.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

OK, here's a scenario: Tannehill drops to 17. Do the Bengals try to rape the Browns so they can move up to take him? The Dolphins and Bills are interested too, and have picks at the top of the 2nd round to trade (along with their conditional #1/#2 next year). That would be a sweet spot to be in.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

They would be stupid not to.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I understand this year's draft is loaded with WR talent, but the Bengals absolutely should consider drafting one in the 1st. They desperately need another another receiver to complement Green, now more than ever. Simpson and Caldwell are both gone, Shipley is coming off a knee injury, Tate sucks, Hawkins is too small, Binns was a practice squad reject, Whalen has caught 4 passes...blah, blah, blah. If you honestly think it would be ideal to wait until the 4th-5th (all three 5s are practically in the 6th anyways) round for your future #2, then I have nothing to say to you.
    Our positions of need seem pretty well spelled out for us this year. OG needs an upgrade ASAP in either the 1st or 2nd rounds. WR needs to be addressed at some point in the first 3 rounds with Hawkins not looking like a legitimate #2. RB needs a speed/big play back to complement Green-Ellis and get the serious upgrade that it needs. On defense, a big-time early round CB talent is needed, but can wait until next season if necessary. If a faller (like Luke Kuechly) hits us, we could use the upgrade at ILB, SS, or the DL as well.

It sounds like a lot, but we've got a draft blessed to fit our needs. There are two very draftable 1st round OGs with options later on. WR has an excellent crop all-around, and will be producing impact players from the first round well on into day 2. CB has a bunch of talent in the first round right around our number and high risk/high reward later selections to keep us interested. RB brings a bunch of speed backs that are likely to fall to later rounds, giving us a chance to upgrade from Scott and address other needs early on. And there are a bunch of potential fallers like Coples who we could take. Unless Mike Brown really reaches with one of those first rounders, it's hard to see how we could come out of this poorly.

I think I would be happy with Kirkpatrick or Gilmore and DeCastro or Glenn with our 1st RD picks.

Grab a WR in the 2nd or 3rd RD depending on who is available. I think that improves the team quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    OK, here's a scenario: Tannehill drops to 17. Do the Bengals try to rape the Browns so they can move up to take him? The Dolphins and Bills are interested too, and have picks at the top of the 2nd round to trade (along with their conditional #1/#2 next year). That would be a sweet spot to be in.
    I think #21 might be the chance to trade back with a team wanting to get ahead of Cleveland for Weeden.

It may be smoke and mirrors, but now I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bengals go defense at both #17 and #21. Marvin talked about how they've gone offense the last couple of years. If Poe drops to #17 and obvious guys like DeCastro and Barron are off the board, I could see the Bengals pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Ah yes, the NFL Draft. The media spectacle that brings out "experts" who make huge amounts of cash being wrong most of the time. I love how the Mel Kiper, Jr. types cover their bases now by releasing 100 mock drafts, just so they can claim they got it right when a team picks just about any warm body.

I take a wait and see attitude. We'll see who the Bengals draft when they take them and we'll know how well it went for them in about 2-3 seasons.
    Mel Kiper's strength isn't so much the loads of mock drafts that he does, but that any random player at any point in the draft will get picked and Mel has a reasonable (relatively speaking) amount of knowledge on the guy. The guy has a familarity with 300+ college prospects probably more like 500. That in itself is impressive. I have a feeling the 100 mock drafts are for the fans that demand them, not so Mel can say he got such and such right on such and such date. Like most preseason polls and bracketologies, the authors of such always seem to indicate how much they hate doing them that early, but are forced to by their employeer because if ESPN doesn't have a 2013 Mock up on its web page by the middle of next week, their competitors are going to and ESPN is going to lose a share of web hits for people interested in a 2013 Mock (which I'm sure already exists on the Web somewhere right now)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Mel Kiper's strength isn't so much the loads of mock drafts that he does, but that any random player at any point in the draft will get picked and Mel has a reasonable (relatively speaking) amount of knowledge on the guy. The guy has a familarity with 300+ college prospects probably more like 500. That in itself is impressive. I have a feeling the 100 mock drafts are for the fans that demand them, not so Mel can say he got such and such right on such and such date. Like most preseason polls and bracketologies, the authors of such always seem to indicate how much they hate doing them that early, but are forced to by their employeer because if ESPN doesn't have a 2013 Mock up on its web page by the middle of next week, their competitors are going to and ESPN is going to lose a share of web hits for people interested in a 2013 Mock (which I'm sure already exists on the Web somewhere right now)
    I present to you the WalterFootball.com 2013 Mock Draft.

I get the feeling that Gilmore, Kirkpatrick and Barron will all be gone before 17. Who unexpectedly falls?

I really want Decastro at 17 and now want Hill at 21.

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I get the feeling that Gilmore, Kirkpatrick and Barron will all be gone before 17. Who unexpectedly falls?

I really want Decastro at 17 and now want Hill at 21.
    That would be great!

If Gilmore/Kirkpatrick/Barron are all gone, someone has to drop. Floyd, Kuechly, Upshaw, Brockers, Ingram, etc.

There will be a decent OL available IMO. DeCastro, Glenn, or Reiff.

I think Barron goes to Dallas.

Turn Off Ads?