Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Kirkpatrick will be there when the Bengals pick but I don't really want him, especially not at 17.

The others might be gone. I'm hearing the Bengals really like Courtney Upshaw.

I'd still love to take one of Barron/Floyd/DeCastro/Gilmore/Kuechly at 17 and then trade down out of 21- especially if Tannehill is on the board (Browns draft at 22, so presumably someone would want to trade up to that spot)
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Kirkpatrick will be there when the Bengals pick but I don't really want him, especially not at 17.

The others might be gone. I'm hearing the Bengals really like Courtney Upshaw.

I'd still love to take one of Barron/Floyd/DeCastro/Gilmore/Kuechly at 17 and then trade down out of 21- especially if Tannehill is on the board (Browns draft at 22, so presumably someone would want to trade up to that spot)
    Bills and Dolphins are supposedly interested in Tannehill too. In a way, I'm kinda hoping the Browns trade up with the Bengals (at 17) to get him. I think Tannehill will be a bust, or at least need serious time to develop, which makes the Browns less competitive now and maybe down the line. And we get some of their picks to boot.

The trade I think would be Bengals 17 and a 5th rounder for Browns 22 and 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year. That way they ensure they get their man.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Bills and Dolphins are supposedly interested in Tannehill too. In a way, I'm kinda hoping the Browns trade up with the Bengals (at 17) to get him. I think Tannehill will be a bust, or at least need serious time to develop, which makes the Browns less competitive now and maybe down the line. And we get some of their picks to boot.

The trade I think would be Bengals 17 and a 5th rounder for Browns 22 and 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd rounder next year. That way they ensure they get their man.
    I actually think Tannehill to the Browns makes sesne. He is guy who needs some time to groom and with Colt at QB it could give Tannehill a season or two to learn.

The Bengals have 10 picks in this draft. The aren't going to keep 10 rookies on their 53 man roster to start the season. I think they would be in better shape to move up at some point in the draft. Get a guy you really want in teh 2nd or 3rd instead of keeping a 5th rounder that may be a longshot to make the team.

A guy who is really growing on me is LSU WR Reuben Randell. I think he could come in and be a pretty productive #2 for us pretty quickly. Runs good routes, has good hands, just suffered from bad QB play.

I wouldn't cry if we took him at #21. My ideal situation however would be if we went something like Decastro - Kirkpatrick/Jenkins at 17 and 21, then trade back up to the top of the 2nd round with our extra picks to nab Randell in RD 2.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    A guy who is really growing on me is LSU WR Reuben Randell. I think he could come in and be a pretty productive #2 for us pretty quickly. Runs good routes, has good hands, just suffered from bad QB play.

I wouldn't cry if we took him at #21. My ideal situation however would be if we went something like Decastro - Kirkpatrick/Jenkins at 17 and 21, then trade back up to the top of the 2nd round with our extra picks to nab Randell in RD 2.
    Its a deep CB class and the Bengals need to come out with one of them. I wouldn't mind them G and WR in the first, but the thing is DeCastro and Floyd really are the only two that scream out "pick me" and both could be gone. Glenn and any WR could be a risk, one not worth taking when there is more talent available.

If they trade down I want it to be for next year's draft. They currently are in a great position with 10 draft picks in this years draft, if you play it right you can continue to hold your great position in drafts, a la Pats. I wouldn't have a problem with them passing on a CB in the 1st and then moving early into the 2nd and picking Jenkins. If you could walk out of the 1st round with two of Glenn, Flyod, or DeCastro, a character flag in Jenkins is much more acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I wouldn't have a problem with them passing on a CB in the 1st and then moving early into the 2nd and picking Jenkins. If you could walk out of the 1st round with two of Glenn, Flyod, or DeCastro, a character flag in Jenkins is much more acceptable.
    Agreed.

Troubling
    Joe Reedy ‏ @joereedy
    19. RT @MooCowTown @joereedy if DeCastro is there, do you take him ahead of Kirkpatrick?>I would but that's not the way the team will
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I'm starting to worry that Reedy is right and the Bengals will end up with Kirkpatrick and Upshaw in Round 1. Lombardi of the NFL Network also has Upshaw at 21 and says the Bengals might be the only team that has him with a 1st round grade.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'm starting to worry that Reedy is right and the Bengals will end up with Kirkpatrick and Upshaw in Round 1. Lombardi of the NFL Network also has Upshaw at 21 and says the Bengals might be the only team that has him with a 1st round grade.
    There are too many draft pundits that really don't know what individual team needs. They also don't know who a team has rated high and who a team doesn't. I think with this draft the Bengals are a wild card because they really could go anywhere with the exception on QB. I also think that they have become more competent in drafting over the past few years, even more so with Lewis, Gruden, and Zimmer on the staff.

There are too many draft pundits that really don't know what individual team needs. They also don't know who a team has rated high and who a team doesn't. I think with this draft the Bengals are a wild card because they really could go anywhere with the exception on QB. I also think that they have become more competent in drafting over the past few years, even more so with Lewis, Gruden, and Zimmer on the staff.
    Reedy is the Bengals beat guy so I am guessing his comments have some truth in basis. Lombardi was a former NFL GM with plenty of connections. Those two aren't draft pundits.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post

Agreed. DeCastro, Gilmore/Jenkins, and Randle would be a tremendous haul for the Bengals. I don't really want Kirkpatrick, especially not at 17.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sadly, my final prediction is Kirkpatrick at 17 and either Upshaw or Glenn at 21. And I will be disappointed with that.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Reedy is the Bengals beat guy so I am guessing his comments have some truth in basis. Lombardi was a former NFL GM with plenty of connections. Those two aren't draft pundits.
    I think Reedy has some more insight than most pundits, but not much. Lombardi may have some connections but during the draft there are a lot of smoke signals thrown up and players who they like or dislike. In some drafts what the Bengals are going to do is fairly easy to judge, the Gresham pick of a few years ago, the Green pick last season, and even the Big Andre pick of a couple of years ago.

That said I think this year could be a complete toss up. I think they will go BPA with every position except that of QB. And quite frankly I don't really have much of an issue with that. Too many judgements are made upon what happened most recently, and that has been a number of things without pads on. If they draft to fill a position of need then I won't have a problem with it. If Kirkpatrick is the pick I don't have a problem with it. If they go with an pass rusher, I don't have a problem with it. I remember how big of an impact their deep line was last year and how good they were late in the game when Dunlap was turned loose. Its scary to say this but if they draft a guy I feel fairly confident that Gruden or Zimmer will do a good job of using them.

I think Reedy has some more insight than most pundits, but not much. Lombardi may have some connections but during the draft there are a lot of smoke signals thrown up and players who they like or dislike. In some drafts what the Bengals are going to do is fairly easy to judge, the Gresham pick of a few years ago, the Green pick last season, and even the Big Andre pick of a couple of years ago.

That said I think this year could be a complete toss up. I think they will go BPA with every position except that of QB. And quite frankly I don't really have much of an issue with that. Too many judgements are made upon what happened most recently, and that has been a number of things without pads on. If they draft to fill a position of need then I won't have a problem with it. If Kirkpatrick is the pick I don't have a problem with it. If they go with an pass rusher, I don't have a problem with it. I remember how big of an impact their deep line was last year and how good they were late in the game when Dunlap was turned loose. Its scary to say this but if they draft a guy I feel fairly confident that Gruden or Zimmer will do a good job of using them.
    The last two times the Bengals just went to an open board and took BPA outside of the top 10, the picks were David Pollack (at 17 no less) and Chris Perry (originally at 24, passed on Stephen Jackson and traded down to 26).

Just saying. I have a lot less trust in them than you do.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The last two times the Bengals just went to an open board and took BPA outside of the top 10, the picks were David Pollack (at 17 no less) and Chris Perry (originally at 24, passed on Stephen Jackson and traded down to 26).

Just saying. I have a lot less trust in them than you do.
    I have no problem with the Pollack pick. He was a beast in college, and he showed flashes late in that 2005 season. Can't really blame anyone for a fractured neck ending a career.

Chris Perry should be the poster child for why you don't draft RB in the first round. You never know what you are going to get. He was pretty good in college. He worked out well, and then injuries caught up to him. He had been a bell cow, and there are only so many hits a RB should take. His 51 carry 219 yard effort against Michigan State in 2003, shows how much of a beating some of these guys take.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?