Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The last two times the Bengals just went to an open board and took BPA outside of the top 10, the picks were David Pollack (at 17 no less) and Chris Perry (originally at 24, passed on Stephen Jackson and traded down to 26).

Just saying. I have a lot less trust in them than you do.
    I have absolutley zero problems with those drafts. Pollack was hurt from his holdout and really got going right before he hurt his neck. From everything I had heard the Bengals were very pleased with his development.

As for Perry the detractors have championed Stephen Jackson for years now. The issue I have with that is when Perry was healthy he was a dynamic back. He was the guy who could run the ball as well as catch the ball out of the backfield. He was the type of guy who was able to create mismatches, and with a potent offense could have really succeeded, but he got hurt. I believe they got Deltha O'Niel in the trade down who was a pro bowler for a year or two. At the time of the draft if the Bengals had Perry ranked higher than Jackson I don't have an issue with it. To go from the 17th to the 26th collecting a starting CB and an extra draft pick, I don't have an issue with it. Unfortunately Perry got hurt and wasn't the player he could have been.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really hope the Bengals take Stephen Hill at 21. You can't teach his combination size and speed. He's a great blocker (something Jay Gruden & Marvin like in WR). He's also a pretty intelligent guy so he should be able to pickup the offense quickly. In the meanwhile, you can send him on deep routes to keep defenses honest.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have absolutley zero problems with those drafts. Pollack was hurt from his holdout and really got going right before he hurt his neck. From everything I had heard the Bengals were very pleased with his development.

As for Perry the detractors have championed Stephen Jackson for years now. The issue I have with that is when Perry was healthy he was a dynamic back. He was the guy who could run the ball as well as catch the ball out of the backfield. He was the type of guy who was able to create mismatches, and with a potent offense could have really succeeded, but he got hurt. I believe they got Deltha O'Niel in the trade down who was a pro bowler for a year or two. At the time of the draft if the Bengals had Perry ranked higher than Jackson I don't have an issue with it. To go from the 17th to the 26th collecting a starting CB and an extra draft pick, I don't have an issue with it. Unfortunately Perry got hurt and wasn't the player he could have been.
    As you know and can probably tell from my signature, I am an alumni of the University of Michigan and know a thing or two about Chris Perry- having watched every single game of his college career. As a Bengal fan, I was absolutely disgusted when we drafted him over Stephen Jackson.

Yes, Perry could occasionally create mismatches, but he is far from an every-down back. That type of player should go in the late second or third round (like LaMichael James this year), not in the first and especially not over a future HOF back like Stephen Jackson. It was a terrible pick from the moment it was made, similar to the second round pick in that draft Keiwan Ratliff.

Who knows what would've become of Pollack had he not been tragically injured, but the fact remains the Bengals got almost nothing (long term) out of that entire draft (Odell Thurman and Chris Henry were the other top picks). It's sad when your 7th round pick (Fanene) who was never a starter probably had the biggest long-term impact of any player in a draft.

The 2004 and 2005 drafts were two of the worst Bengal drafts of the last ten years.

Other than Leon Hall, 2007 and 2008 weren't much better.

Fortunately for us, the last two years have been pretty good. Let's hope that trend continues tonight and tomorrow.
    Go BLUE!!!

Bengals take Kirkpatrick at 17 and trade back with NE and select Zeitler the Guard out of Wisconsin. Not a bad first day in that they addressed the team needs. Decastro fell to 24 and Glenn fell out of the first round so I am sure there is some handwringing over that. However both Gruden and Kiper liked the Bengals first day.

I like the Zeitler pick. Kid is a lunch pale type. Smart and hardworking with a desire to improve. Nicknamed "The Terminator" by his teammates. His scouting report reads:
    As a run blocker, Zeitler is a pure road-grader. He can blast defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage and shove them aside to open up their gap. While he isn't the most athletic or mobile lineman, Zeitler was able to hit blocks on linebackers in the second level of the defense. He is a power blocker who wears down defensive linemen, and as a game progresses, he can be a key cog in owning the line of scrimmage. A team that runs a power-rushing offense will love what Zeitler put on tape as a senior
    He does have trouble with speed rushers but I think the coaches can rectify that issue. Would have hated the pick at 21 but like it at 27.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Bengals take Kirkpatrick at 17 and trade back with NE and select Zeitler the Guard out of Wisconsin. Not a bad first day in that they addressed the team needs. Decastro fell to 24 and Glenn fell out of the first round so I am sure there is some handwringing over that. However both Gruden and Kiper liked the Bengals first day.

I like the Zeitler pick. Kid is a lunch pale type. Smart and hardworking with a desire to improve. Nicknamed "The Terminator" by his teammates. His scouting report reads:

He does have trouble with speed rushers but I think the coaches can rectify that issue. Would have hated the pick at 21 but like it at 27.
    I don't know what to think of the first round. They got a CB that they wanted as well as an OG that they needed. I don't have an issue with them taking Zeitler when DeCastro was there, especially if they liked Zeitler better. Couple that with the trade down to get an extra draft pick.

Now the only issue is they need to make better use of those third rounders than Ghee and Moch.

I think now would be a good time to use those extra picks and move up into the top 10 of the 2nd round and grab someone to pair up opposite of AJ Green.

Bengals first round wasn't full of the usual pretty high first rounders but they got two guys who will be able to come in and play a bunch. I think at this point in a teams development that's what you want. Second round take BPA and hope its the wide out you wanted.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I think now would be a good time to use those extra picks and move up into the top 10 of the 2nd round and grab someone to pair up opposite of AJ Green.
    Exactly. If the Bengals can get Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill, or Alshon Jeffery tonight, I will be very pleased with this draft. If they don't, I won't be.

They will probably have to trade up in order to do so. Then take James or Pead in the 3rd.

(Insert time will tell, we can't judge, blah blah blah)
    Go BLUE!!!

You know, even if they don't trade up, Ryan Broyles out of OU will probably be there. He's a guy that intrigues me and could turn into a gem once fully recovered from injury

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    You know, even if they don't trade up, Ryan Broyles out of OU will probably be there. He's a guy that intrigues me and could turn into a gem once fully recovered from injury
    yes I saw at least one mock draft that thinks that is who the Bengals will get. Broyles has looked good in workouts so he could be a steal. Without the injury he would have been a sure first round pick. I would really like Stephen Hill but the Bengals would have to trade up for him. I don't think he will last past the first 10 picks tonight.

Exactly. If the Bengals can get Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill, or Alshon Jeffery tonight, I will be very pleased with this draft. If they don't, I won't be.

They will probably have to trade up in order to do so. Then take James or Pead in the 3rd.

(Insert time will tell, we can't judge, blah blah blah)
    I think they need to go WR with at least two picks over the next 3 rounds or so. I think Jeffery could be the best of the bunch out of those WR's. Randle I don't really care for and Hill is a big question mark considering he played in an option offense.

The guy who I would love to see the Bengals take a flier on is Vontaze Burfict. I think he could bring an attitude to the defense and could be a playmaker in the linebacking corps.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think they need to go WR with at least two picks over the next 3 rounds or so. I think Jeffery could be the best of the bunch out of those WR's. Randle I don't really care for and Hill is a big question mark considering he played in an option offense.

The guy who I would love to see the Bengals take a flier on is Vontaze Burfict. I think he could bring an attitude to the defense and could be a playmaker in the linebacking corps.
    Thinking back to some of the conversations that I have heard on the radio, and things I have read. I think you have to assume that the Bengals have their eyes on Devier Posey sometime. We know they like Courtney Upshaw, and Marvin supposedly had a one on one interview with Burfict a month ago. They are also said to like Pead and James.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Thinking back to some of the conversations that I have heard on the radio, and things I have read. I think you have to assume that the Bengals have their eyes on Devier Posey sometime. We know they like Courtney Upshaw, and Marvin supposedly had a one on one interview with Burfict a month ago. They are also said to like Pead and James.
    Couple of things on this.

First of all Burfict. I saw an article that called him the meanest man in college football. He went from being a first rounder to a 3rd? ESPN Mag had an insteresting write up on the guy. He is the type of wild card who could really make a defesne better, a risk, but maybe a calculated risk.

Posey will get slammed for character issues, being suspended 10 games his senior year. By all means the guy was an idiot, but an idiot who worked with the scout team for all of this past season. A guy who remained in school and on the team to play 2 games. He will get knocked but some guys failing a drug test at the combine won't.

I like James more than Pead. It may just be perception, and James played in a better offense, but I think James is more explosive. If your going to draft a "skat" back then go with the guy who is more explosive.

I thought Upshaw was going to go higher, if he slips to the late 2nd round that would be a great pick.

I've heard Burfict won't go until the sixth or seventh round- if at all. I would love it if the Bengals took a late round flyer on him.

Some of my ideal remaining targets:

SECOND ROUND
    1. Rueben Randle WR
    2. Stephen Hill WR
    3. Alshon Jeffery WR
    4. Courtney Upshaw
    5. Janoris Jenkins CB (even with the Kirkpatrick pick, I'd still take him if the first four picks were off the board)
    6. Jerel Worthy DT

THIRD ROUND
    1. Lamar Miller RB
    2. LaMichael James RB
    3. Isaiah Pead RB
    4. Ryan Broyles WR
    5. Mohammed Sanu WR
    6. Brandon Thompson DT

SIXTH OR SEVENTH ROUND
    1. Vontaze Burfict
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-27-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I've heard Burfict won't go until the sixth or seventh round- if at all. I would love it if the Bengals took a late round flyer on him.

Some of my ideal remaining targets:

SECOND ROUND
    1. Rueben Randle WR
    2. Stephen Hill WR
    3. Alshon Jeffery WR
    4. Courtney Upshaw
    5. Janoris Jenkins CB (even with the Kirkpatrick pick, I'd still take him if the first four picks were off the board)
    6. Jerel Worthy DT

THIRD ROUND
    1. Lamar Miller RB
    2. LaMichael James RB
    3. Isaiah Pead RB
    4. Ryan Broyles WR
    5. Mohammed Sanu WR
    6. Brandon Thompson DT

SIXTH OR SEVENTH ROUND
    1. Vontaze Burfict
    You would draft Janoris Jenkins and Vontaze Burfict in the same draft, on top of Dre Kirkpatrick, who Kirk Herbstreit called out this morning for his behavior at Alabama? This team would be absolutely raked over the coals for those picks. Just this week, in the local news, we have a story about a former Bengals linebacker going to jail for repeated sexual violations against a 15-year-old girl; and Rey Maulaluga reached a deal with the guy who accused him of beating him up last year. That on the heels of Jerome Simpson just finishing up his jail time for the drug shipment to his house last year.

Sorry, I stay far, far away from Jenkins and Burfict.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 04-27-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Turn Off Ads?