Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 350

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

  1. #271
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    You would draft Janoris Jenkins and Vontaze Burfict in the same draft, on top of Dre Kirkpatrick, who Kirk Herbstreit called out this morning for his behavior at Alabama? This team would be absolutely raked over the coals for those picks. Just this week, in the local news, we have a story about a former Bengals linebacker going to jail for repeated sexual violations against a 15-year-old girl; and Rey Maulaluga reached a deal with the guy who accused him of beating him up last year. That on the heels of Jerome Simpson just finishing up his jail time for the drug shipment to his house last year.

    Sorry, I stay far, far away from Jenkins and Burfict.
    In the later rounds, these types of picks are much more tolerable. Less risk, you can let them go at the first sign of trouble.

    I probably wouldn't draft them BOTH in the same draft, as I'd much prefer a WR in the second round, but yeah, I'd take a flyer on Burfict. He's never been arrested before- his "character concerns" relate more to his mental makeup than his criminal record.
    Go BLUE!!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #272
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    966

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    If Jeffery is there, you take him. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's Sidney Rice without the injuries, and all that weight talk was an unconfirmed report that wasn't corroborated at the combine. He's got AJ Green's hands and jumping ability. Have Jeffery and Green on the field at the same time, and you have a mismatch somewhere. He's probably not getting past the Vikings, but you don't let him fall out of the 2nd.

  4. #273
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    If Jeffery is there, you take him. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's Sidney Rice without the injuries, and all that weight talk was an unconfirmed report that wasn't corroborated at the combine. He's got AJ Green's hands and jumping ability. Have Jeffery and Green on the field at the same time, and you have a mismatch somewhere. He's probably not getting past the Vikings, but you don't let him fall out of the 2nd.
    Agreed
    Go BLUE!!!

  5. #274
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    For a team that is often racked over the coals for its draft history (and rightfully so during the 90s) this team has really turned around its draft record since the 2001 draft (justin smith, chad, Rudi & TJ)

    They've had a couple of bad or unlucky drafts, but the last 3 drafts, plus what's shaping up so far has put this franchise in excellant shape for the next 5-10 seasons.

    Greshman, Atkins, Green & Dalton have all made the pro bowl and look to be among the top 10 of their position for an extended period.

    Andre Smith started off very slowly, but after getting himself in shape last season, looks to be a top 10 RT if he keeps his dedication up. He could be in for a huge payday after this season if he plays like he did last season again.

    Maualuga has his moments, if he ever deveoped consistancy he'd be more than solid.
    Huber is a very solid punter, top 10?
    Michael Johnson = solid depth
    Carlos Dunlop was graded as one of the top DE last year prior to his injuries.
    Jordan Shipley looked like a more than solid 3rd reciever for the slot, if he can recovery fully this is another excellant weapon
    Donta Moch - will be interesting to see what he does when healthy this year.

    Plus a handful of guys that could still develop into solid depth.

    Add in this season and they've got an excellant foundation that extends from QB to the offensive line, out to the recieving core, across to the defensive front 7 and into the defensive back field and special teams.

  6. #275
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    For a team that is often racked over the coals for its draft history (and rightfully so during the 90s) this team has really turned around its draft record since the 2001 draft (justin smith, chad, Rudi & TJ)

    They've had a couple of bad or unlucky drafts, but the last 3 drafts, plus what's shaping up so far has put this franchise in excellant shape for the next 5-10 seasons.

    Greshman, Atkins, Green & Dalton have all made the pro bowl and look to be among the top 10 of their position for an extended period.

    Andre Smith started off very slowly, but after getting himself in shape last season, looks to be a top 10 RT if he keeps his dedication up. He could be in for a huge payday after this season if he plays like he did last season again.

    Maualuga has his moments, if he ever deveoped consistancy he'd be more than solid.
    Huber is a very solid punter, top 10?
    Michael Johnson = solid depth
    Carlos Dunlop was graded as one of the top DE last year prior to his injuries.
    Jordan Shipley looked like a more than solid 3rd reciever for the slot, if he can recovery fully this is another excellant weapon
    Donta Moch - will be interesting to see what he does when healthy this year.

    Plus a handful of guys that could still develop into solid depth.

    Add in this season and they've got an excellant foundation that extends from QB to the offensive line, out to the recieving core, across to the defensive front 7 and into the defensive back field and special teams.
    Going back to 2005, the Bengals are about .500 as far as draft classes go:

    2006, 2010 and 2011 were very good drafts.

    I think the jury is still out on 2009.

    2005, 2007, and 2008 were all pretty bad. Consider, these three drafts only produced a grand total of one player (Leon Hall) who has been a starter for the Bengals for more than three seasons. One player. That is BAD.

    So the way I see it, they're batting .500. Not the idiots they're made out to be, but let's not dance in the streets yet- at least until we get a WR tonight.
    Go BLUE!!!

  7. #276
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    If Jeffery is there, you take him. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's Sidney Rice without the injuries, and all that weight talk was an unconfirmed report that wasn't corroborated at the combine. He's got AJ Green's hands and jumping ability. Have Jeffery and Green on the field at the same time, and you have a mismatch somewhere. He's probably not getting past the Vikings, but you don't let him fall out of the 2nd.
    I hope like crazy Jeffery is available, but I'm guessing he won't be. We won't get that lucky.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

  8. #277
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,083

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Going back to 2005, the Bengals are about .500 as far as draft classes go:

    2006, 2010 and 2011 were very good drafts.

    I think the jury is still out on 2009.

    2005, 2007, and 2008 were all pretty bad. Consider, these three drafts only produced a grand total of one player (Leon Hall) who has been a starter for the Bengals for more than three seasons. One player. That is BAD.

    So the way I see it, they're batting .500. Not the idiots they're made out to be, but let's not dance in the streets yet- at least until we get a WR tonight.
    agreed, its those drafts that killed them 2 seasons ago, and really the only bad ones you can point to from 2001 on. The Jury is definently still out on the 2009 draft, largely it depends on how Andre Smith continues to develop. If he plays like he did last year for the next 5-8 seasons I'll consider that draft a success by NFL standards. '10 & '11 look like winners barring injury moving forward. Hopefully '12 will turn out in similar fashion.

  9. #278
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think they need to go WR with at least two picks over the next 3 rounds or so. I think Jeffery could be the best of the bunch out of those WR's. Randle I don't really care for and Hill is a big question mark considering he played in an option offense.

    The guy who I would love to see the Bengals take a flier on is Vontaze Burfict. I think he could bring an attitude to the defense and could be a playmaker in the linebacking corps.
    He scares me as a Bengal fan. I can see Mike Brown thinking he can reform him. I'd be fine taking a flier on him if as a flier you mean one of our 5th rd picks.

  10. #279
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Greshman, Atkins, Green & Dalton have all made the pro bowl and look to be among the top 10 of their position for an extended period.
    Bengals are the only team in the NFL to have 4 Pro Bowlers out of their last two drafts. That's something

  11. #280
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    898

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    2 - WR (Quick/Jones)
    3A - RB (Pead/James/Hillman)
    3B - S (Hardin?)
    4 - WR (Toon/Streeter/Posey/Jones)

    In that order, please.
    Choo got it, dude.

  12. #281
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,468

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    I like the Still pick, and I'm thrilled they took linemen 2 out of the first 3 picks. The Bengals give themselves a much better chance to win with a solid offensive and defensive line, and I'm hopeful that defensive line might be an elite unit next year.

    Like most, I preferred DeCastro, but overall so far so good for me.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  13. #282
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,846

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Bengals fans should be proud. I think they've had a great draft! I'm not totally sold on Kirkpatrick, but he might work out well. I love the other 4 picks thus far though a lot.

  14. #283
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,623

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Bengals fans should be proud. I think they've had a great draft! I'm not totally sold on Kirkpatrick, but he might work out well. I love the other 4 picks thus far though a lot.
    I agree. I'm not one to gush over drafts but this seems like an outstanding one for our Bengals. I'd rate it the best in the division and that's saying something because Pittsburgh did very well and the Ravens always know what they're doing

  15. #284
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,846

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree. I'm not one to gush over drafts but this seems like an outstanding one for our Bengals. I'd rate it the best in the division and that's saying something because Pittsburgh did very well and the Ravens always know what they're doing
    And they had a fabulous draft last year as well. The Bengals look like legitimate players for the 2012 season. It's still a tough division, but I predict the some decline from the Ravens and I even think the Steelers as well. Both of those teams are getting older and the Bengals young. The future is bright in Cincinnati. Now, if they only would go back to their 80s uniforms.

  16. #285
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

    I like this draft but don't love it- I'd give the Bengals a solid B.

    I'm confused as to why we'd take Still over Randle- I really wanted Randle. However they had a nice recovery in the third round with Sanu and Thompson.

    I'd still like to see Lamar Miller, Vontaze Burfict and a SS today. (I would have been pleased with Martin at 93).
    Go BLUE!!!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25