16 26.67%
  • 2.6 million

8 13.33%
  • 2.7 million

1 1.67%
  • 2.8 million

2 3.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Will Attendance Increase?

How Much Will Attendance Increase?

Attendance should increase this year, but how much? Listening to Phil Castellini I didn't hear a resounding optimism. I'm sure they hoped for a big boost in ticket sales from all the activities in the off season. I'm not sure that's happened. From what it sounds like they are hoping the Reds get off to a quick start. They brought in 2,213,588 last year. His message to the fans this year, in somewhat urgent fashion, "You buy tickets, we buy players." The big crowds at Redsfest and the Caravan portend well, but will fans fill the stands to their hopes? I wonder if they can push 2.5, 2.6 mill?
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Much Will Attendance Increase?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Attendance should increase this year, but how much? Listening to Phil Castellini I didn't hear a resounding optimism. I'm sure they hoped for a big boost in ticket sales from all the activities in the off season. I'm not sure that's happened. From what it sounds like they are hoping the Reds get off to a quick start. They brought in 2,213,588 last year. His message to the fans this year, in somewhat urgent fashion, "You buy tickets, we buy players." The big crowds at Redsfest and the Caravan portend well, but will fans fill the stands to their hopes? I wonder if they can push 2.5, 2.6 mill?
    To reach the 2.4M+ neighborhood, they will need several 100K weekend series

I think The Banks is going to play a big role in increased attendance this summer. There's a lot more there now than there was last summer, and by Opening Day even more places should be open. The fact that it's a destination now means people can come down early/stay late ... I think that equals big numbers this summer.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I am being very bullish with my 2.5 million prediction. I agree with Reds/Flyers that the Banks will help attendance, but I think an even bigger factor is that the Reds will likely be competitive in late August/September, where last year many fans were very discouraged and didn't come late in the season. I think the upper limit is probably 2.6/2.7 because the Reds will get poor attendance for the weekday games in April, May and September.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Just for reference (no pun intended ), attendance last year was 2,213,588 (10th of 16)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...1-roster.shtml

I'll go with 2.3 million.

And I can't wait to try out the Moerlein Lager House, which will also serve as a museum and tribute, of sorts, to all beer brewed in Cincinnati past.
    sorry we're boring

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Just for reference (no pun intended ), attendance last year was 2,213,588 (10th of 16)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...1-roster.shtml

I'll go with 2.3 million.

And I can't wait to try out the Moerlein Lager House, which will also serve as a museum and tribute, of sorts, to all beer brewed in Cincinnati past.
    Why don't you see much of a bump in 2013?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Why don't you see much of a bump in 2013?
    Usually the bump comes after a winning season, not in anticipation of one.

Having said that, I hope they draw 3 million. But heck, no one is drawing around here of late- Bengals, UC basketball or football. Xavier seems to be holding steady.

I thought 2.2 million was actually pretty good for last year, all things considered.
    sorry we're boring

If they play well out of the gate I don't think 2.5 mill is out of the question. The Banks will help. But most fans are probably like me, I come home from work about 5:30 and I might catch 2-5 week night games a year but I really get out to the ballpark on the weekends when I have a full day to schedule the game around.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

I went with 2.3 million. My take is that the team will make the post season, but not make past the first round of the playoffs. In the end, I think they lose money and we'll see a fire sale come next off season.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I went with 2.3 million. My take is that the team will make the post season, but not make past the first round of the playoffs. In the end, I think they lose money and we'll see a fire sale come next off season.
    Why would they lose money? They aren't spending any more than they did last year and I highly doubt they lost money last year after revenue sharing, MLBAM money, ticket sales and so on.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

One thing never talked about last season was the effect the record amount of rain played in attendance. Cincinnati got like 70+ inches of rain last year when I think the previous record was in the 40 inches.

I agree that being in contention come August/September is what will put this team in the 2.4 to 2.5 million range. Also, the injuries to Bailey and Cueto, and Arroyo having mono didn't help things.

A healthy team, a productive team, being in contention, good weather, etc..........will all determine how many fans show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    One thing never talked about last season was the effect the record amount of rain played in attendance. Cincinnati got like 70+ inches of rain last year when I think the previous record was in the 40 inches.

I agree that being in contention come August/September is what will put this team in the 2.4 to 2.5 million range. Also, the injuries to Bailey and Cueto, and Arroyo having mono didn't help things.

A healthy team, a productive team, being in contention, good weather, etc..........will all determine how many fans show up.
    This is a good point. There were several weekend games I went to on dreary, rainy days and that surely negatively impacted walk-up sales (which is big for the Reds).

That Sunday game in particular when the Reds swept the Cards (the game that words were exchanged after cordero hit pujols) was played on a gloomy, misty, rainy day. Had it had been a nice day, no doubt the game would have sold out. As it was, the weather kept the crowd down.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    This is a good point. There were several weekend games I went to on dreary, rainy days and that surely negatively impacted walk-up sales (which is big for the Reds).

That Sunday game in particular when the Reds swept the Cards (the game that words were exchanged after cordero hit pujols) was played on a gloomy, misty, rainy day. Had it had been a nice day, no doubt the game would have sold out. As it was, the weather kept the crowd down.
    I also agree, and think your previous statement about The Banks helping out is accurate, too. Combine those factors with a better team and we are looking at a nice spike in attendance.

Last Friday's Business Courier had an article on the expected ticket sales this year; matching last years. The Reds, in the article, see that is a "victory" - I'm not putting that in quotes to disparage it, just to actually use their word. Interesting piece.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ket-sales.html

At the same time, while looking for the link online for the above article, I see too that they've doubled the number of games with higher ticket prices, a recent trend in professional sports pricing.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnat...ames-with.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The best thing that can happen for the Reds gate is for them to get out quickly from the gate.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?