Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mannyball

Mannyball

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Mannyball

I don't know why more teams weren't interested in such a low-risk proposition. Manny is guaranteed hardly money in this deal and he agreed to a minor league deal. I know I was in the minority of wanting Manny in Cincinnati, but I really think the A's made a great low-risk, high-reward move here.

I have to agree with Edd. I don't really like Manny but I do like guys that are future Hall of Famers and that are obviously not doing it for the money.He must feel like he has something to prove and if he's willing to start proving it in AAA why wouldn't you give him a shot.

I agree. He couldn't be any worse than some of the other LF options The Reds have trotted out there the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

He'll hold tremendous trade value at the deadline if his bat is halfway decent.

Beane could get a prospect or two...

It is a great low risk deal but I don't think Manny's got anything left in the tank. I could be wrong. It'll be fun to watch

makes sense for several teams probably but I don't get the A's being one of them.

I envision the A's being the Indians from Major League....trying to lose and bolt Oakland for San Jose. Gomes, Manny, and Cespedes? could be my new favorite AL team

For a Level Playing Field

Not sure, but lets see if Manny can perform without PEDs at this age. Then again perhaps he has been aided by PEDs for his whole career (imagine that).

One failed test from how many games suspension? Oh wait... he will just quit and not serve 1/2 of it. You know like the last failed test. Or the times he quit on his teams (ask Boston or LAD). Keep this clown far away from the team I like.

The reduction of the suspension from 100 to 50 games. Are you kidding me? What a joke. Be a quitter and we will reduce your suspension by 50 games. That's the way to crack down on PEDs and reward cheaters-n-quitters. You think the testing program is legit? Bud $elig and the Union ha$ $wampland for you if you have the ca$h. Yes, same for the Volquez gets to serve his suspension while on the DL. Joke! I ain't gots no brain... and believe the testing is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    He'll hold tremendous trade value at the deadline if his bat is halfway decent.

Beane could get a prospect or two...
    I think Beane is 100% in that mode right now. He is doing everything he can to put a team together of nice trading pieces and then unload them come middle of the summer.

Unless I am overlooking another date, the Reds only play Oakland once in Spring Training- March 10. Hopefully the Reds will bring Chris "Why did Washington give anybody up for Gomes" Manno over from the minor league side to face Manny. Let them go at it Manno y Manny.

http://springtrainingonline.com/team...ati-reds-3.htm

I guess it's an interesting side show. Maybe it will stir up a little interest in Oakland, but I doubt Manny is productive on the field. He'll probably be productive at stirring up drama though.

I'm guessing the Reds get more total production out of their LF options (plus Manny can't really play LF anymore).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The reduction of the suspension from 100 to 50 games. Are you kidding me? What a joke. Be a quitter and we will reduce your suspension by 50 games. That's the way to crack down on PEDs and reward cheaters-n-quitters. You think the testing program is legit? Bud $elig and the Union ha$ $wampland for you if you have the ca$h. Yes, same for the Volquez gets to serve his suspension while on the DL. Joke! I ain't gots no brain... and believe the testing is great.
    I agree with you there and it sure seems like this reduction hasn't gotten the publicity that it should. He had every opportunity "to serve" this suspension last year and I said so at the time. My thoughts were why retire? Retire 100 games later if you want. Instead he pouts and goes home. Fast forward to this year and MLB gives him a huge break on his suspension. Why let him benefit by pouting? Why set this sort of precedent? If he either comes up dirty again this year or retires abruptly before the end of the year then I think MLB should be called on the carpet for allowing themselves to be used by Manny. It won't reflect well on them

Does he get to play in the minor leagues while serving his suspension?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree with you there and it sure seems like this reduction hasn't gotten the publicity that it should. He had every opportunity "to serve" this suspension last year and I said so at the time. My thoughts were why retire? Retire 100 games later if you want. Instead he pouts and goes home. Fast forward to this year and MLB gives him a huge break on his suspension. Why let him benefit by pouting? Why set this sort of precedent? If he either comes up dirty again this year or retires abruptly before the end of the year then I think MLB should be called on the carpet for allowing themselves to be used by Manny. It won't reflect well on them
    MLB really doesn't care about cleaning itself up.
    They'd much rather have Manny playing and selling a few more tickets.
    That explains a lot of their behavior
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Does he get to play in the minor leagues while serving his suspension?
    So far as I know, minor leaguers are subject to the same rules so I'd say the answer's no. Haven't minor leaguers had to serve these suspensions too after being caught?

Turn Off Ads?