Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball IQ on MLB Network

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Baseball IQ on MLB Network

I'm completely addicted.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball IQ on MLB Network

There are alot of guys on that show that have a very low baseball IQ.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Love the show, but thoroughly unimpressed with the caliber of the competition.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    WOY would smoke em.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Have you seen the guy from the Hall of Fame? Legit. Face like Buddy Hackett. Brain like Rain Man.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Have you seen the guy from the Hall of Fame? Legit. Face like Buddy Hackett. Brain like Rain Man.
    No but my favorite was a guy representing the A's. He was asked a question something along the lines of "Name all the Cy Young Award winners since 1990". The guy came up with no answers which made him look stupid but he ended up looking even more stupid when 3 of the answers played for the A's. (Welch, Eck and Zito). I was amazed.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

The one who only moves his upper left lip when talking? I am sure he was/is a lady-killer.

I love the baseball trivia. I do not like the dryness of the show (ah, baseball nerds are probably not the most fun to party with...no offense to my fellow RZ members!). Also do not like that someone has the chance to make up a double-digit deficit on the last question.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

I actually like that, but does anyone ever get the last question? Some of the contestents don't even seem to realize that they win if the other guy gets the last question wrong, no matter what the score is.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

On the one I watched, he stunk it up and lost. He must have done better in earlier shows.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like the basic idea of the show but hate the 9th inning. It essentially renders the first 25 minutes of the program useless. I also can't believe how poor some of the contestants are, many of us Redszoners could smoke 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    WOY would smoke em.
    Most anyone on RZ would smoke em. The ones I saw they weren't very good at all. I don't really like the 9th inning either. Too much luck involved .
    Reds Fan Since 1971

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    No but my favorite was a guy representing the A's. He was asked a question something along the lines of "Name all the Cy Young Award winners since 1990". The guy came up with no answers which made him look stupid but he ended up looking even more stupid when 3 of the answers played for the A's. (Welch, Eck and Zito). I was amazed.
    How in the world do you not guess a single Cy Young award winner? That's extremely pathetic. Most of the contestants I have seen on there are complete idiots.

When I first heard of this show coming out I was pumped...couldn't wait. After watching intently for the first week or so I was so underwhelmed I barely remembered to record it the following week.

I realize when the bright lights are on you it is tougher to come up with information you could spout off in your sleep. However, the level of competetion is just plain awful.

Since the Reds representative was eliminated, I have not watched a single episode, nor do I plan on doing so in the future.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I realize when the bright lights are on you it is tougher to come up with information you could spout off in your sleep. .
    I am sure nerves do play a big part but I think most of the problem is the contestants just are not that sharp on the history of the game. There have been one or two that impressed me, I think one was a Diamondbacks rep but for the most part they seem to have the knowledge of a Hot Stove League caller.

I guess I'm the only one who likes that they can make up the whole thing in the 9th inning, but the guy who's behind should have to do something, the one who's ahead shouldn't be able to lose by not being able to do something.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?