Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your 2012 Opening Day lineup?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

What's your 2012 Opening Day lineup?

Apologies if this has been brought up in another thread, but now that the roster is pretty much set, I'd love to see what everyone's lineups. For fun, we can do what you want to see and then what you think you'll see. Here's mine:

What I want:

Phillips 2B
    Hanigan C
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Stubbs CF
    Heisey LF
    Cozart SS
    P

What I think:

Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Ludwick LF
    Stubbs CF
    Hanigan C
    P

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's your 2012 Opening Day lineup?

Stubbs
    Phillips
    Votto
    Bruce
    Heisey
    Rolen
    Cozart
    Mes/Hanigan
    (Cueto)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

1. Phillips
    2. Cozart
    3. Votto
    4. Rolen
    5. Bruce
    6. Stubbs
    7. Heisey
    8. Hanigan
    9. Cueto

Just because BP is fast DOES NOT MEAN HE NEEDS TO LEADOFF!!!

I don't like the idea of BP leading off this year OR hitting cleanup, he is a clear cut #2 hitter like Barry Larkin, the 2 hole is where he belongs, he drives in too many runs to be leading off.

Stubbs-8
    BP-4
    Votto-3
    Rolen-5-I'll taken the veteran HOF at cleanup in a high pressure game thank you
    Bruce-9
    Heisey-7
    Cozart-6
    Hannigan-2
    Cueto-1
    Last edited by will5979; 02-23-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post

I don't like the idea of BP leading off this year OR hitting cleanup, he is a clear cut #2 hitter like Barry Larkin, the 2 hole is where he belongs, he drives in too many runs to be leading off.

Stubbs-8
    BP-4
    Votto-3
    Bruce-9
    Heisey-7
    Cozart-6
    Hannigan-2
    Cueto-1
    I get what you're saying about BP, but then you go and put Stubbs 1st? The only thing Stubbs has that resembles a leadoff hitter is his speed. His game belongs lower in the lineup unless he drastically improves his OBP.

For lack of better options, I'll stick w/ BP 1st.

Phillips
    Heisey
    Votto
    Rolen (Lack of options here too)
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    Hannigan
    Cueto

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Apologies if this has been brought up in another thread, but now that the roster is pretty much set, I'd love to see what everyone's lineups. For fun, we can do what you want to see and then what you think you'll see. Here's mine:

What I want:

Phillips 2B
    Hanigan C
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Stubbs CF
    Heisey LF
    Cozart SS
    P

What I think:

Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Ludwick LF
    Stubbs CF
    Hanigan C
    P
    I agree right down the line with both of these lineups.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'm curious, why are so many people (OK, three people) splitting up Votto and Bruce? If it's lefty/righty reasons, remember that last year Bruce hit lefties almost exactly as well as righties (.804/.819), and Votto hit lefties significantly BETTER than righties (.987/.930).

As for leadoff, even Dusty understands that Stubbs's speed doesn't matter when he's struggling so much to get on base. I was tempted to put Hanigan there and bat Phillips second in my hopeful lineup, since that's what he does best.

So I put high-OBP guys in my first two slots, power guys in my next two, then rounded out the next four based on who I thought were the best hitters. Lefty/righty doesn't matter with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    I get what you're saying about BP, but then you go and put Stubbs 1st? The only thing Stubbs has that resembles a leadoff hitter is his speed. His game belongs lower in the lineup unless he drastically improves his OBP.

For lack of better options, I'll stick w/ BP 1st.

Phillips
    Heisey
    Votto
    Rolen (Lack of options here too)
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    Hannigan
    Cueto
    Putting Heisey in the two hole is worse imo than having Stubbs at leadoff. Heisey's OBP last year was 309 vs stubbs' 321. K rates were 25.3/30.1.

I'll agree with the OP's lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Putting Heisey in the two hole is worse imo than having Stubbs at leadoff. Heisey's OBP last year was 309 vs stubbs' 321. K rates were 25.3/30.1.

I'll agree with the OP's lineups.
    Fair point. I happen to think Heisey's will drastically improve this year, but thats simply opinion.

I don't like moving Hannigan at all because I think he achieves a lot of his OBP by understanding when people are pitching around him (especially when pitcher is on deck) and that skill is useless in front of Votto.

Its a tough lineup to make with the pretty random combo of players we have.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post

Stubbs-8
    BP-4
    Votto-3
    Bruce-9
    Heisey-7
    Cozart-6
    Hannigan-2
    Cueto-1
    BP will lead off because he is the best option that the Reds have for lead off, he hit for around a .350 average last year in that spot. His ability to produce at that spot versus say Stubbs who doesn't produce at lead off is why he will probably get the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Fair point. I happen to think Heisey's will drastically improve this year, but thats simply opinion.

I don't like moving Hannigan at all because I think he achieves a lot of his OBP by understanding when people are pitching around him (especially when pitcher is on deck) and that skill is useless in front of Votto.

Its a tough lineup to make with the pretty random combo of players we have.
    I definitely agree with that last part. We do have a random combo of players. No true 1 or 4 guy right now. I also think Heisey will improve, although how much he will improve remains to be seen. I think Stubbs has just as much of a chance, if not more so, to improve. They are the same age, and Stubbs shows more tools than does Heisey.

I guess that answers that.

It sounds like Zack Cozart may be hitting second in the order. Brandon Phillips is going to lead off.Dusty Baker didn’t come out and say who will hit second. But when asked about Cozart, he said:“Wasn’t he hitting second last year?” Baker said.

Agree 100% with the lineup OP posted. We have a big lack of a #2 hitter, and Hanigan's OBP skills need to be utilized.

Also, huge lol @ the guy who complained about Philips being slotted 1st because of speed and then used Stubbs in his example. Sometimes I wondering people even watch baseball.

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Mesoraco
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Cueto

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Mesoraco
    Stubbs
    Cueto

I like Cozart in the 2 hole because it will give him a lot of pitches to hit. I don't like Bruce behind Votto, but we don't really have anyone that I love in that spot.

Turn Off Ads?