Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your 2012 Opening Day lineup?

Re: What's your 2012 Opening Day lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Mesoraco
    Stubbs
    Cueto

I like Cozart in the 2 hole because it will give him a lot of pitches to hit. I don't like Bruce behind Votto, but we don't really have anyone that I love in that spot.
    Would Hanigan in the 2 hole get those same pitches to hit? Isn't anyone hitting in front of Votto going to benefit?
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Would Hanigan in the 2 hole get those same pitches to hit? Isn't anyone hitting in front of Votto going to benefit?
    I wouldn't really be all that opposed to Hani in the 2 hole, but I do think Cozart would benefit from those pitches more. I like Hanigan's ability to work counts, and more than anything else, I remember him being the guy that drove in a lot of those 2 out runs that Bruce seemingly always left on base.

With Mesoraco looking at a lot of playing time I think it would make more sense to start out with a more stable top of the lineup, if it doesn't work then obviously we would need to look at a change.

Phillips
    Cozart
    Bruce
    Votto
    Hanigan
    Stubbs
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Cueto

I'm flipping Bruce and Votto to get Bruce the benefit of pitches in front of Votto, while I think having Hanigan at 5 means Votto should still see good pitches given Hanigans OBP.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Here's what I think it should look like:

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Mesoraco

I toyed with putting Mesoraco higher, but I don't want the kid to stress about hitting. As much as I think he can be a really good offensive talent, his main focus this year should be on learning our pitchers, catching in the big leagues, etc. I think he'll hit, but I don't want him to worry about it.

Cozart hit well in the 2-hole in front of Votto last year, and I think that is the best place to put him.

I could also see doing this:

Phillips
    Bruce
    Votto
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    Mesoraco

I also really like the idea of Bruce in the 2-hole if he struggles in the 4-hole. He has also hit there well before, and if the first lineup doesn't do the job, I think that this one just might.

1.Phillips 2B
    2.Cozart SS
    3.Votto 1B
    4.Bruce RF
    5.Heisey LF
    6.Stubbs CF
    7.Rolen 3B
    8.Mesoraco C
    9.Cueto

If we are talking specifically about Opening Day against the Marlins then I think you are going to see Hanigan and Ludwick in the lineup over Heisey and Mesoraco. With OD being the "event" that it is here in Cincinnati, you figure Dusty will put the veterans in there where he can.

Therefore, I'll go.....

Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Ludwick LF
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Stubbs CF
    Hanigan C
    Cueto P

I will be really suprised if Cozart bats at or above .320/.420/.740 for the season. I am not sure why so many want him in the two hole.

For the record, I would love to be surprised by a .800+ OPS season from Zach- I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    I will be really suprised if Cozart bats at or above .320/.420/.740 for the season. I am not sure why so many want him in the two hole.

For the record, I would love to be surprised by a .800+ OPS season from Zach- I just don't see it happening.
    Cozart plays shortstop. Shortstops bat second. How many times do we have to go over this? We are never going to get into Advanced Bakermetrics if we have to keep going back to review all the time.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Cozart plays shortstop. Shortstops bat second. How many times do we have to go over this? We are never going to get into Advanced Bakermetrics if we have to keep going back to review all the time.
    I am so angry at myself I could cry like a Ryan Braun. I keep falling into the same trap of looking at past performance(s). I need to learn to have faith in Dusty's lineup rules. If you build it (Dusty style) they (runs) will come.

I think Mes is going to play more this year than Hanigan will but Dusty will decide to have him watch on OD so..

Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Ludwick LF
    Stubbs CF
    Hanigan C
    Cueto P

Brandon Phillips
    Zack Cozart
    Joey Votto
    Jay Bruce
    Scott Rolen
    Drew Stubbs
    Chris Heisey
    Devin Mesoraco
    Johnny Cueto

What ever happend to the Bakermetric thread? That is one of my favorites. I think we need a refresher course.
    Let's get weird!

Phillips
    Heisey
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Cozart
    Mes/Hannigan
    Cueto
    Stubbs

Not a joke. Using my inner Larussa here and going with a bit of an unorthodox lineup. Maybe later I will really tap into my inner Larussa, get sauced, and crash my car into a pole.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Heisey
    Mesoraco
    Stubbs
    Cueto

I like Cozart in the 2 hole because it will give him a lot of pitches to hit. I don't like Bruce behind Votto, but we don't really have anyone that I love in that spot.
    Totally agree with this sentiment. I think it's worthwhile having someone bat in front of Votto who will benefit most from having better pitches to hit, and that isn't a veteran like BP or Hanigan.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

If I could make out the card,

Phillips
    Bruce
    Votto
    Rolen
    Hanigan
    Stubbs
    Cozart
    Cueto

That is Opening Day. After that I really like a Rolen/Francisco platoon at 3B and a Hanigan/Mes platoon behind the plate.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Turn Off Ads?